Moving (no, not that move, a physical move)...

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I had a couple of questions about moving into a house that is literally about a football field away from the house I currently live in. I purchased this home last October and am now looking to move into it. I had a college student that was living in the home but she's since graduated and I think I'd like the new house a little better (even though I'm trying to sell it back to my brother and then move a few miles north into something a little more affordable). Regardless, when my brother left, he left a DISH 500 on the roof. He took the receivers and all of his account information to a new dish at the home he and his wife now reside in.

Here's my question: Can I simply move my receiver from this house to the other house, hook up the wires, and "presto" receive service? One of my receivers has the yellow card (which is the only receiver I currently use) and I only want DISH in one room of the house (the living room). I'd like to upgrade my other box (but don't have the yellow card in it) just so I can receive the distant networks in the bedroom. I contacted NPS about this and they said there was no extra charge for their service on multiple boxes -- will DISH be able to tell I'm using the box only to view NPS?

Cade

If the dish is still there and if it was wired to that location... then simply hook up the rcvr to the coax line and to your TV and check and see if it has signal.

You will have to get a yellow card from DISH for the second receiver. You will have to tell DISH to turn on programming on that receiver/card combination, and you will have to pay for programming on the second receiver.

You will have to get a yellow card from DISH for the second receiver. You will have to tell DISH to turn on programming on that receiver/card combination, and you will have to pay for programming on the second receiver.

But what if the only programming I want to that receiver is the NPS "distant" locals?

Cade

First off, the second receiver with no card, it may be a model with the smart card built in. If the unit needs the card, it will have to be activated in order to get a new card for it. It does not matter what NPS tells you, you are still using Dish Network receivers which must be activated on the account to receive any programing NPS or who ever. It is only $5 per month for the second receiver to receive everything the first one gets and not paying for another full programing package.

O.K. One more weird question, then.

Can I purchase a box that can be placed in the primary location (the living room) but would allow me to view programming on both televisions (the living room and bedroom) while saving space and not placing another box in the bedroom? And if so, will it allow viewing of two seperate programs if there is company?

Cade

sure. There are dual tuner boxes out there like the 322,522,625,622 that allow you to have 2 separate outputs and ability to watch two programs at once

Or better yet, what you can do is cancel your service all together and then let your wife(if you are married) or gf or whoever sign up with dish as a new customer and you will get their brand new receivers and any installation help needed for free. Granted you willing to commit to 18 months of commitment and have no prior commitments under ur name that has not expired yet.

Or better yet, what you can do is cancel your service all together and then let your wife(if you are married) or gf or whoever sign up with dish as a new customer and you will get their brand new receivers and any installation help needed for free. Granted you willing to commit to 18 months of commitment and have no prior commitments under ur name that has not expired yet.

But that is only if you are into cheating the system, which apparently some people have absolutely no problem doing. Oh yeah, and if you go thru a local retailer to do this, you are allowing him the possibility of getting audited and shut down by Dish if he gets caught. Yep, that sounds better to me! :rolleyes:

September 4, 2007

Attn: Members who started and responded to this post...

Re: Stupid Questions

Members, please refrain from asking questions that put your intelligence rating at a loss. You need not worry about doing anything other than moving the box to the new home and hooking it up to the appropriate wires. Is that so damn hard to understand? Nobody cares about NPS or anything that they say. And no, you can't get just NPS programming with the old red card because a yellow card is required for all programming including whatever stupid channels everybody may get through NPS. Subscribing to NPS is a lot like saying my locals aren't good enough for me and I require something more special. It's like those people that would watch GLOW back in the 80's but would never admit it because they thought they were too good to watch such a thing (no, I never did watch because I knew I was above it without having to prove it to myself by watching). That question made me sick.

Mike

How is this cheating if somoene without any prior commitments wanted to get a new dish install ? Since dish will not give same promotions to current customers as new ones, what would he be doing wrong if he cancel his service and starts a new one under his wife's name? He is not in the same house or wants to move to new address anyways. What possible way is this consider cheating? "Hey dish give me this promotion" OK this is for new customers only? Fine I wanna cancel my service please. Week later at new house, Hi, i want to suscribe to new service, and here is my info(wife)....Are you getting this or should i make it any more clear?

How is this cheating if somoene without any prior commitments wanted to get a new dish install ? Since dish will not give same promotions to current customers as new ones, what would he be doing wrong if he cancel his service and starts a new one under his wife's name? He is not in the same house or wants to move to new address anyways. What possible way is this consider cheating? "Hey dish give me this promotion" OK this is for new customers only? Fine I wanna cancel my service please. Week later at new house, Hi, i want to suscribe to new service, and here is my info(wife)....Are you getting this or should i make it any more clear?

I'm not surprised you don't think it cheating nor that you see anything wrong with it. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)