Moving part-time to Denver, thinking of Comcast for Internet only, but.....

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Hello all:

Been lurking a bit on this forum, I like the straight talk and the absence (mostly) of bashing. Anyway, been a DISH customer since their year one, out here in CA. But we need to be in Denver part of the year now, due to family obligations. Last trip to Denver, tried using DishAnywhere from CA with a wireless ISP (Clear), but signal was too wonky to get consistent delivery. Even ponied up for the next level of speed with my CA ISP, U-Verse, because one of the forums said the upload speed was more critical than the download, but, no joy. Also, poor OTA in Denver home, being out of the vector for broadcast towers' optimal signal. Better Half not happy with poor Internet signal in Denver for browsing, e-mails, etc., so she said we can sign up for Comcast Internet next trip back. Ready to make the leap, bought a Motorola Surfboard 6141 modem and will take my Belkin AC900 router with me, but haven't made the call yet. But, having read some of the posts about the bundling, been reconsidering the idea of double or triple play deals. If I could get DishAnywhere over the better cable Internet to work, I could rely on my CA Dish America's Everything package for keeping up with HBO, Showtime, et al. I have the Hopper with 3 three Joey's in CA, love that setup, but can't bring myself to pay to duplicate that in Denver with a separate new account, and also have to spring for cable Internet. In CA, paying $175 for DISH, $93 for U-Verse Internet and phone. Not sure if I really need phone service in CO, cell phone does fine, my CA area code is usually a good conversation starter, and, with the U-Verse digital phone, I can forward my home phone number to my Verizon cell. Would like to have locals in Denver, and some of the basic cable stuff. So I guess these are my questions:

1. I was originally looking at just the "Performance Internet," single item, to get the advertised 25 mbps. Not really conversant enough with Comcast pricing of extras, i.e., dvr fees, taxes, whatever, to know if a bundle of their 25 channel TV and this level of Internet speed is cheaper as a bundle than the sum of the two services bought separately.

2. Right now in Denver, there would be one television, but we hope to add a second one, possibly a third. How does Comcast export their signal from the modem to other televisions, and what is the deal with a dvr, in terms of watching recorded programs from the "home" dvr on a remote television, a la Hopper?

Appreciate any thoughts, insights, and/or correction of misunderstanding the Comcast system.

Thanks

I would try Dish Anywhere with your Internet service alone and see how it works. I suspect it will work quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Good advice. With a decent internet connection on both ends, the Slingbox HD Pro and above also works beyond what you would think also, and with the integrated app in the WD live box, it is very close to being simply a channel you go to. But Dish Anywhere should work well.

The advice you were given is correct btw, the upload speed is important where the signal is coming from, in your case CA.

Upload at your home in CA is most important. I sling from Oklahoma to Las Vegas several months at a time. My dad and I share a Condo in Vegas and both of us have Cox 25/5 here in Oklahoma. We used to have Cox 15/2 and 2M upload it was pretty good on Dishanywhere. We would connect a tablet to the TV via HDMI.

With the 5M upload we both have now, the picture quality is really good on a 60in LCD. We also both now use a Slingbox350 in Oklahoma and a WDTV Live media player with Slingplayer app built in, to sling to the TV and only use dishanywhere for slinging to the phone or tablet. My dad and stepmom have been at the Vegas condo for a month on vacation and Sling 4hrs or more a day from their Slingbox 350 to the wdtv Live. We get around 3200k streaming speeds to Las Vegas according to the app and I get around 4500k slinging to my lake house here in Oklahoma. The Lake house only has 6M DSL and has no problem getting a good picture from the Slingbox.

In my experience anything below 1M upload is going to have trouble slinging a good picture to a tv (phone or tablet screen size should be ok) and 1M upload is iffy. 2M upload minimum and 5M is preferable

Thanks for the input, sounds like a good plan, no cost effort to see how it works. Would make life easier, for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)