"moving" question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomyo10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
erie, pa
I'm a current Dish subscriber who's "moved" and my service address is Cleveland. Therefore, I get all the Indians games from STO, and the Browns from the local affiliates, and the Cavs on FSN Ohio.

But the bad news is Dish does not carry the Cleveland locals in HD. Is it as easy to "move" with D* as it is with E*?

It looks like E* will not be carrying the Cleveland locals until it shoots a few new sats next year, then who knows when it'll happen after that?

If I read it right, I switch to D*, "move" to Cleveland, and I get the locals in HD, as well as all 3 sports teams?

Is it that easy to get what I want?

I physically live in Erie, PA where there are no locals in HD

If you want the stations so bad, why don't you physically move to Cleveland? Seriously, what you are asking is against the contract that you signed with Directv. Do you expect us to help you?

If you want the stations so bad, why don't you physically move to Cleveland? Seriously, what you are asking is against the contract that you signed with Directv. Do you expect us to help you?

jeez- I was just asking a question. Are you telling me everyone who's subscribed to DTV lives where they say they do?

It's not a problem with Dish.

jeez- I was just asking a question. Are you telling me everyone who's subscribed to DTV lives where they say they do?

It's not a problem with Dish.

Everyone, no, but that's what you agree to when you sign up. BTW, I have heard that Dish has audits where they call up and ask for receiver id numbers to confirm that everything is legit.

I was with Dish for over 15 months and I moved like 3 or 4 times! No audit, nada! They never cared. In fact, the last time I moved I kept my old locals and my new locals.

Now with direct for a week and already "moved" 3 times! So, I say go ahead and move if you want to get HD channels.

Everyone, no, but that's what you agree to when you sign up. BTW, I have heard that Dish has audits where they call up and ask for receiver id numbers to confirm that everything is legit.

I'm sure E* has to be delighted with these moving threads as customers receiving network signals in the wrong markets only got them in a whole bunch of trouble. If you are with D*, just pay for the service that will get you the channels you think you can't live without. If a blackout once in a while is that upsetting and the game is that important, you need to get a life or really move. Moving to get different games is stealing services. Granted, you may never get caught, but if you do I hope you have a whole lot of spare cash and don't mind spending the rest of your life watching OTA or cable.

they do this from time to time, but its random and rarely happens. Ive had my E* account since 96(i think) and its happend once.

It would be funny as hell if they started requiring documentation to change a physical address. IMO, that's the route I think they need to take. I have had many new customers having to pay up front (and getting pissed about it--which they take out on the most convienent target--the installer), because DTV couldn't "confirm" their address.

Maybe I should "move" out of memphis to get cheaper car insurance rates. Its fraud anyway you slice it. Whether you are defrauding your insurance company, E*, D*, NFL, MLB, or NBA or all of the above. Thats what out of market packages are for.

Maybe I should "move" out of memphis to get cheaper car insurance rates. Its fraud anyway you slice it. Whether you are defrauding your insurance company, E*, D*, NFL, MLB, or NBA or all of the above. Thats what out of market packages are for.

"Fraud" is a little extreme, don't you think? You can't compare auto insurance and satellite TV.

Instead of getting your real locals, you are getting someone else's. Big deal. What exactly are you stealing there?

"Fraud" is a little extreme, don't you think? You can't compare auto insurance and satellite TV.

Instead of getting your real locals, you are getting someone else's. Big deal. What exactly are you stealing there?
I see both sides. You are correct, you arent actually stealing in the literal sense of the word, because you are paying for service. However its wrong in the spirit of the contract. Cant say i havent done it . I did "move" to get a game that was blacked out for me. I was paying for the package that the game was included in though and didnt feel bad about it. That is the only time ive done it.

Now that all the little "holier-than-now-watch-ONLY-REAL-local-channels-do-gooders" have spoken... :rolleyes: (guess they all came over from the other site)

If I read it right, I switch to D*, "move" to Cleveland, and I get the locals in HD, as well as all 3 sports teams?

Is it that easy to get what I want?

It should be, as long as your location falls within the Cleveland spotbeams. Also, do be aware that the HD spots may vary from the SD spots. (could be more or less) How far away are you from Cleveland would help to tell us. I assume that you currently are getting the Cleveland locals thru E* with no problems.

Don't worry about all the little naysayers - I've moved on BOTH systems since at least 2001 & haven't lost a night's sleep yet, & probably won't for the foreseeable future. :D ;)

And please tell us how THAT stops people from "moving" - the ONLY thing is does is tells E* ALL the receivers on an account ARE in the SAME house. (to stop "stacking", which is NOT the same thing as moving - geeze... ;) ;) )

It would be funny as hell if they started requiring documentation to change a physical address.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't do that. How many other things do you do where you have to show a utility bill with your name on it or something?

I was with Dish for over 15 months and I moved like 3 or 4 times! No audit, nada! They never cared. In fact, the last time I moved I kept my old locals and my new locals.

Now with direct for a week and already "moved" 3 times! So, I say go ahead and move if you want to get HD channels.

So, either the CSR's are complete idiots (probably the case) or the companies just don't care as long as they are getting their money. No one in their right might would think that someone physically moved that much.

DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :D ;) :eureka

While I think that you are probably right, unofficially, I would have to think that they couldn't ever come out and officially take that stance - seems like there would be some FCC rules being bent or broken somewhere in all of this...

And please tell us how THAT stops people from "moving" - the ONLY thing is does is tells E* ALL the receivers on an account ARE in the SAME house. (to stop "stacking", which is NOT the same thing as moving - geeze... ;) ;) )

Simple, if you say you have a particular box at your house, but you really don't, then you can't give them the numbers they want. Simple.

Simple, if you say you have a particular box at your house, but you really don't, then you can't give them the numbers they want. Simple.
which is not the same as "moving" as its being talked about here. That is called i think he said "stacking" and yes thats done often too, but its different.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts