Moving Question

BorDizzy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Hello fellas I am a long time lurker more than I ever post. I enjoy reading the great information on here, and I have looked around but I am unclear about the answer here.

My wife and I just signed the purchase agreement on our first home yesterday, and we will be closing July 7th. We are DISH customers and don't want to be without when we move that weekend. When I moved in 2007 they waived the moving fee, but I was wondering, how is the cheapest way with DISH to move. I do not have the Home Protection Plan. Are we going to have to pay to move our service to the new house? I'm currently under contract since we added a second receiver in December.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

To my understanding Dish Mover is free, and I think after June3rd you can move as many times as you want and its free. Just give them a good few days notice as for setting up a appointment so the tech isn't rushed. Dish likes to do same day service and this is screwing the techs over whom think they are finished for the day.

You don't have to set up Dish Mover directly with Dish. I called a Dish retailer near my new place. We were able to handle everything over the phone. I gave them a preferred day, and they're going to check with their installer guy to see if it's open. I'm flexible on the day, so that's fine. I figure I'll get better service if I let them handle everything, rather than have Dish ordering them around. Your best bet is to ask the retailer about the cost, as it doesn't really matter what any of us tell you. Since you're giving them over a month's notice, you should have no trouble getting your requested date.

If you have the protection plan movers are free as of the 3rd. Note that they removed the 1 move a year cap so you can move an unlimited # of times in a year. The cost is also waived, unsure if you need the insurance plan though.

Pay in advance customers pay $100 for the move.

Antenna upgrades to a 500+ or 1000+ requires an additional $100.

Wildblue movers require $100.

If you have the protection plan movers are free as of the 3rd. Note that they removed the 1 move a year cap so you can move an unlimited # of times in a year. The cost is also waived, unsure if you need the insurance plan though.

Pay in advance customers pay $100 for the move.

Antenna upgrades to a 500+ or 1000+ requires an additional $100.

Wildblue movers require $100.
I have the portection plan and will be moving in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you knew what they might charge me, if anything. I currently have 2 - 4900 receivers, 1-501 and 1- 211Hd. Do you also know what type of satellite setup they might give me? I currently have 119/110 for all of the receivers plus 61.5 for the 211. I do know they don't do the eastern arc for my area.

I have the portection plan and will be moving in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you knew what they might charge me, if anything. I currently have 2 - 4900 receivers, 1-501 and 1- 211Hd. Do you also know what type of satellite setup they might give me? I currently have 119/110 for all of the receivers plus 61.5 for the 211. I do know they don't do the eastern arc for my area.
Nothing special about your setup, should be covered.

To get all the HD channels you would need 129W but that could be difficult from NY.
The 110/119/61.5 is no longer acceptable. Read about eastern and western arcs EA/WA.
The EA is not for you as 3 of your receivers are not MPEG-4. Then again, you might go EA and get them to give you ($100 or more each) new receivers and just give up the old ones--I suggest a 722 to replace 2 or 2 722s for all 4 but the $17*2 might be discouraging, then again you would have 4 solo fees of $6(?) with what you have. You would modernize. Or as you are changing address, you might be able to register under your spouse's name and SSN and get free or at least cheaper equipment. Try Dish Store for a less biased estimate.
-Ken

I just went through this last week with Dish on-line service. I am going to have a gap before I move into my new place. They told me all I had to do was contact them to disconnect my current service, take my receiver and remote and contact them when I want to re-connect in my new place. I would not be charged for service during the time I am not connected. They didn't mention anything about the protection plan and the info on the Dish website also does not say you have to have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)