Moving question

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
After 12 years me and the roommates have decided to go our separate ways and the house will be up for sale shortly.

I already bought a small place today and am moving into it towards the end of January. Right now I have the H3 and the 3 wired joeys. When I move I want to keep the H3 but trade in the 3 joeys for a wireless joey for the bedroom.

Think Dish will understand this request when I put in my moving request? And since I have OTA for locals now should I take my Dish-provided OTA antenna with me so that on the new install it gets installed?

After 12 years me and the roommates have decided to go our separate ways and the house will be up for sale shortly.

I already bought a small place today and am moving into it towards the end of January. Right now I have the H3 and the 3 wired joeys. When I move I want to keep the H3 but trade in the 3 joeys for a wireless joey for the bedroom.

Think Dish will understand this request when I put in my moving request? And since I have OTA for locals now should I take my Dish-provided OTA antenna with me so that on the new install it gets installed?
Yes to all. You get 1 free "move" per year and you can do a change of service at the same time - switching to the Wireless Joey.

Yes to all. You get 1 free "move" per year and you can do a change of service at the same time - switching to the Wireless Joey.
Well you and Crod made my day, thank you, but I forgot the most important question...does this tangle me into a new 2-year agreement since my original one expired last May?

Well you and Crod made my day, thank you, but I forgot the most important question...does this tangle me into a new 2-year agreement since my original one expired last May?
No, there is no new contract just to do a move. If you do an equipment upgrade at the same time as the move, that may require a new commitment. Since you are trading in three of your Joeys for one Wireless Joey, I don't think Dish would count that as an "upgrade." Just in case, though, you may want to purchase that Wireless Joey, if you want to avoid the commitment.

Reactions: HipKat
No, there is no new contract just to do a move. If you do an equipment upgrade at the same time as the move, that may require a new commitment. Since you are trading in three of your Joeys for one Wireless Joey, I don't think Dish would count that as an "upgrade." Just in case, though, you may want to purchase that Wireless Joey, if you want to avoid the commitment.
Is this what you're talking about? DISH Wireless Joey Whole Home HD-DVR Client (ESWLESSJOEY)

Yes. You may also need to buy the Wireless Access Point that connects to the Hopper, to send signal to the Wireless Joey.
What is the setting on my H3 for that says "Wireless Joey Pairing"? Is that to manage the WAP and the Joey if I had them?

One hundred and forty-two bucks to avoid a contract. Decisions, decisions...

Just to be clear, when I move and turn in the joeys and request a wireless one the Dish installer will simply replace them with these two devices we're discussing that I can buy myself for $142 if I so choose?

Guess I'll find out when I call to set up the move LOL

One hundred and forty-two bucks to avoid a contract. Decisions, decisions...

Just to be clear, when I move and turn in the joeys and request a wireless one the Dish installer will simply replace them with these two devices we're discussing that I can buy myself for $142 if I so choose?
Yes, although there may be a slight upgrade fee for getting a Wireless Joey. I know they charge an extra fee for 4K Joey upgrades, but I am not sure about (non-4K) Wireless Joeys. This is why I made sure to mention to call the Loyalty Department, since you may be able to talk them into waiving any additional one-time fees that would otherwise be charged.

As far as whether the cost is worth it, that all depends on the exact terms of the contract. With a $20 per month early cancellation fee, there would have to be less than 7 months remaining in the contract when you cancel, for the early termination fee to be cheaper. With a $10 per month early cancellation fee, the contract would be cheaper as long as you cancel with less than 14 months remaining. Of course, Dish may not even require you to sign a new contract at all, so it is better to just ask them first.

Yes, although there may be a slight upgrade fee for getting a Wireless Joey. I know they charge an extra fee for 4K Joey upgrades, but I am not sure about (non-4K) Wireless Joeys. This is why I made sure to mention to call the Loyalty Department, since you may be able to talk them into waiving any additional one-time fees that would otherwise be charged.

As far as whether the cost is worth it, that all depends on the exact terms of the contract. With a $20 per month early cancellation fee, there would have to be less than 7 months remaining in the contract when you cancel, for the early termination fee to be cheaper. With a $10 per month early cancellation fee, the contract would be cheaper as long as you cancel with less than 14 months remaining. Of course, Dish may not even require you to sign a new contract at all, so it is better to just ask them first.
It's not like I plan to cancel but who knows? Maybe a future dispute might get ugly and a butt-load of channels disappear for months and months. The possibility is there :(

His Mileage may vary. I've seen CSR's consider replacing Joeys with WiFi Joeys as an upgrade and require a new 2 yr agreement

• Sad
Reactions: pattykay
I think he's going to purchase the Wireless Joey anyway, to get the advantage of the new lower equipment fees for purchased receivers. ;)

shifty_eyes.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)