Moving receiver between two locations? -Help

diamondbow

Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
South
I'm in the military and am stationed just a few hours away from my home. I have dish network and had it before I moved to my base. The satellite dish is still up at my house so I decided to bring it home for Christmas to watch. I cant get a signal for anything. I've looked through the forums and other sources with no luck. I have a VIP 222k. I've tried the switch test and get the 836 error about not having as many satellites as before. Also the funny thing is that i can see the program guide but no picture? Not sure if that is normal. Well that's the best I can explain. I just want to bring the receiver back home when I visit so I have something to watch. Thanks for any help.

What dishes do you have at each location?

When you run the checkswitch what are the results? You say you get the error about less satellites than before, just say yes and see what you actually have. Maybe the dish got knocked out of alignment?

You need to point the dish at exactly the right spot to get reception. Look up the pointing coordinates for your zip code at dishpointer.com. You'll need to know what type of dish you're using. If you have HD and only one dish then it's probably a 1000.2.

Set the elevation angle and skew on the dish mount. Then make sure the mast is plumb and slowly rotate the dish toward the azimuth direction while watching the point dish screen. Make small adjustments and give the receiver time between moves to display changes. Maximize the signal and then lock the dish in place. You'll have to rerun check switch once you have a good signal on all satellites. Good luck.

What dishes do you have at each location?

When you run the checkswitch what are the results? You say you get the error about less satellites than before, just say yes and see what you actually have. Maybe the dish got knocked out of alignment?

I'm not sure of the exact dish at my house. There isn't any #'s on it but it does have TurboHD on it if that helps. The other dish I assume is a 500?? That is what the settings showed on the point dish option. I don't know if the dish was knocked out of alignment although possible. I tried to take the screws off with a drill and the motor started to burn. Can't get the screws loose. :mad:

You need to point the dish at exactly the right spot to get reception. Look up the pointing coordinates for your zip code at dishpointer com. You'll need to know what type of dish you're using. If you have HD and only one dish then it's probably a 1000.2.

Set the elevation angle and skew on the dish mount. Then make sure the mast is plumb and slowly rotate the dish toward the azimuth direction while watching the point dish screen. Make small adjustments and give the receiver time between moves to display changes. Maximize the signal and then lock the dish in place. You'll have to rerun check switch once you have a good signal on all satellites. Good luck.

I can't get the screws loose to move the dish. Is it still possible that it was moved in past few months? nobody has been at the house. I did note the elevation points to 40 on the dish which is what it should be. I really don't see any other numbers except skew. Looks like it points to 78. The list on this say it should point at 33.6. :confused:

One other thing, I get some signal. up to 30-33 depending on transponder and what not. At the bottom of the screen it will say wrong satellite and show the name. I think I've seen 77 and 77.2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)