'Moving' to area with locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

imfrompa

Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
I live in alabam and would love to get locals over Directv for TIVOing. Can i 'move' to say Pittsburgh where I have a home address. According to this tivo fan's spot beam local map (i cant post url yet) the Pittsburgh locals are on the same transponder as Birmingham which is close to my location now. Currently I have a waiver for FOX (NY/LA) which is awesome, but I would like to get the other big 3.

imfrompa said:
I live in alabam and would love to get locals over Directv for TIVOing. Can i 'move' to say Pittsburgh where I have a home address. According to this tivo fan's spot beam local map (i cant post url yet) the Pittsburgh locals are on the same transponder as Birmingham which is close to my location now. Currently I have a waiver for FOX (NY/LA) which is awesome, but I would like to get the other big 3.

What's the problem with the B'ham locals? As far as I am aware they are available on D*, I know the Huntsville locals are and that is a smaller market than B'ham.

But I'm from Montgomery. I wasn't sure how the "spot beam thing" worked... it just sucks that i can't watch nfl games even though i pay $300 a year for the package and still have games that get blacked out when they are on national tv that i dont have. that makes sense... thanks fcc

I'm not sure if I understand the difference between spot beams and transponders, so I'll just ask the question.

I'm moving to Houston, TX in a few weeks, but would like to have the Detroit, MI locals. Looking at the maps this wonderful site has directed me too leads me to believe I'm SOL.

Am I correct?

A transponder is like a channel on the satellite itself; of a particular frequency.

A spot beam is a satellite signal from said transponder that is specially concentrated in such a way that it will cover only a limited specific geographic area.

Transponders can carry CONUS (CONtinental United States) signals as well; aka national.

You are correct, no DET LIL in the HOU market.

Actually, Charper, a transponder is a device on the satellite that recieves and rebroadcasts (on a different frequency) microwave signals. In the case of a DBS satellite, these microwave signals carry groups of digital TV channels-from 1 to 10 (or more) depending on how much each channel is compressed.

Some transponders are rebroadcast by the satellite on antennas that cover the entire continental US. Those are sometimes called national transponders. Others have antennas that focus the microwave in a smaller area, or spot. Those are spot beams. Its actually the antenna, not the transponder, that determines if the beam sent out is a spot or has a nationwide footprint.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)