Moving to Cablevision from DishNetwork - Question

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
I am a previous Cablevision subscriber and enjoyed the service along with my Optimum Online. I ended up switching to Dish Network though last year in October due to the fact that they offered a great price for 3 receivers (one with 2 tuners built-in) and their best package. Each receiver included a 120gb drive which was great and very important to me since I love having a DVR built-in to my receiver since there is no delay (I previously had ReplayTV and am satisifed with the Dish Network DVR).

I was not under a contract with Dish Network but I ended up moving February of this year and had to have them "move" me which was free but locked me into a 1-year contract.

Anyhow! I received a call from Cablevision that they would buy out my Dish Network contract and give me a better rate on my cable modem ($5 cheaper and a promotional period of time at $29.95). This sounds great but does anyone happen to know if there are any penalties that someone can think of? I will have to return my satellite boxes but not the satellite dish. It is mounted on a pole outside so I can easily remove it, thankfully!

My other question is, how is the DVR with Cablevision compared with the big name DVR's like Tivo and ReplayTV and also how is it compared to Dish Network's (If anyone knows). Lastly, do they normally come out and wire my TV's in this type of deal with Cablevision? I am sure I can ask them about it when they call back later (I couldn't get all details as they called at work) but I like to be prepared when I am signing to any type of contract or breaking one.

Thanks for your help!

One quick thing to add. I have 2 TV's I will be using this for and I do not yet have HDTV and I won't for at least 6-12 months. Now, should I plan ahead and get an HD cable box with DVR (assuming it will also work on my non-hd tv until i get HD)? Or should I go with another box that is just DVR Digital?

No penalties I'm aware of. Not quite sure what you meant by that.
Second, Cablevision will not give you an HD box unless you have an HDTV. It's a tech install only item. Tech comes, verifies HD set, installs box. if Tech doesn't see an HD set, you don't get an HD box.
I'm in the same boat as you. CV is coming tomorrow to install, and I tell DirecTV bye-bye. I will miss my Tivo boxes, but CV is saving me $50 a month between the IO and Optonline packages, and with oil and gasoline prices sky high, I need to save wherever I can. I'll reevaluate in a year when the promo ends, and probably play Directv and CV against each other again to continue saving money. It sucks, but hey, I gotta save where I can, and if they're willing to do it, who am I to say no?

You can get an HD box if you don't have an HDTV by taking your SD box to the walk-in center and exchanging it. It's only when a tech comes to do an install will they not give you an HD box if you don't have an HDTV. CV changed their policy regarding HD box exchanges a few months ago, so no tech visit is required anymore, just take the box yourself and get an HD box at a walk-in center. Good luck with the DVR, very mixed reviews on it with missed records and recordings disappearing over at the IO Cablevision Yahoo group.

jaelae said:
I am a previous Cablevision subscriber and enjoyed the service along with my Optimum Online. I ended up switching to Dish Network though last year in October due to the fact that they offered a great price for 3 receivers (one with 2 tuners built-in) and their best package. Each receiver included a 120gb drive which was great and very important to me since I love having a DVR built-in to my receiver since there is no delay (I previously had ReplayTV and am satisifed with the Dish Network DVR).

I was not under a contract with Dish Network but I ended up moving February of this year and had to have them "move" me which was free but locked me into a 1-year contract.

Anyhow! I received a call from Cablevision that they would buy out my Dish Network contract and give me a better rate on my cable modem ($5 cheaper and a promotional period of time at $29.95). This sounds great but does anyone happen to know if there are any penalties that someone can think of? I will have to return my satellite boxes but not the satellite dish. It is mounted on a pole outside so I can easily remove it, thankfully!

My other question is, how is the DVR with Cablevision compared with the big name DVR's like Tivo and ReplayTV and also how is it compared to Dish Network's (If anyone knows). Lastly, do they normally come out and wire my TV's in this type of deal with Cablevision? I am sure I can ask them about it when they call back later (I couldn't get all details as they called at work) but I like to be prepared when I am signing to any type of contract or breaking one.

Thanks for your help!

hey if your doing the triple play you can get the silver package w/a dvr, ool & ov for $99.85 or upgrade to the gold for $119.85.

cforrest said:
You can get an HD box if you don't have an HDTV by taking your SD box to the walk-in center and exchanging it. It's only when a tech comes to do an install will they not give you an HD box if you don't have an HDTV. CV changed their policy regarding HD box exchanges a few months ago, so no tech visit is required anymore, just take the box yourself and get an HD box at a walk-in center.

some tech will install an hd box on an sd set. However, like cforrest said you can go to the walk in and just pick up the hd box, this changed back in Feburary I believe.

I spoke with the Sales Rep that called me and decided to go ahead and make the move. I guess it really isn't a big deal if I don't get an HD Receiver since it seems easy enough to switch them out in the store when I move to an HDTV. Anyone know which explorer you get with the non-hd dvr? I know it would be "Explorer 8300HD" for HD, but would it be the Explorer 8300" for non-HD?

URL Here: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300.htm

jaelae said:
I spoke with the Sales Rep that called me and decided to go ahead and make the move. I guess it really isn't a big deal if I don't get an HD Receiver since it seems easy enough to switch them out in the store when I move to an HDTV. Anyone know which explorer you get with the non-hd dvr? I know it would be "Explorer 8300HD" for HD, but would it be the Explorer 8300" for non-HD?

URL Here: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300.htm

yes the non-hd dvr is the 8300

hbk409 said:
some tech will install an hd box on an sd set. However, like cforrest said you can go to the walk in and just pick up the hd box, this changed back in Feburary I believe.

I don't think you can do this with a DVR.
I changed from an HD box to an HD w/DVR box back in April. This was not an allowed option for me.

mkm4 said:
I don't think you can do this with a DVR.
I changed from an HD box to an HD w/DVR box back in April. This was not an allowed option for me.

it is now, trust me ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)