Moving to Denver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Tried posting in the OTA forum with no replies so thought I'd try here. Moving to Denver area in the spring and Don't know the HD OTA sitrep and don't know if I'll need the AT9 and the HR20. Currently have a 3LNB dish and the HR10-250 and a HDVR2. Tks in advance.---Ray

Depends on what area of town you end up in.

ABC, NBC, CBS & PBS local HD is all low power from the Republic Plaza building downtown with CW & FOX on Lookout Mountain at reduced power.

In most cases you will need a rooftop antenna to get reception unless you are very close to downtown.

Denver digital locals are on DirecTV but you will need a A9 dish and H20 or HR20 to get them off the sat.

Check out these links for more info:

http://www.santellaproductions.com/dtv/denverdtv.htm

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=28456&page=557&pp=30

i live in westminster (mabye 12 miles north of the republic plaza). i have a $200 antenna (couldn't get any channels in with a $80 antenna so I had to upgrade) mounted perfectly and can get cbs, abc, and fox .... but no bueno on NBC, can't get it. also can't get a 5lnb dish as my apartment complex won't let us mount it to the roof, while the balcony can support the 3lnb.

Raymo: I've lived in the Denver area for years (Westminster now) and HDTV locals is very bad here.

I purchased a $ 60 type antennae years back to get HD Denver locals but it was ineffective. I upgraded to the D* H20 receiver/new satellite configuration in August 2006 and the unit TOTALLY locked up on me after 3-4 weeks of use. I had to send the product back to D* and my new H20 receiver “seems” to be working good, but I have little confidence in their equipment nowadays.

The only Denver TV station that offers local news in HD is Channel 9 and their picture is very good with my H20, but the sound often trails the lips & quality is very average at best. Sometimes, it’s almost not worth watching on D*.

But, the H20 is the best unit D* offers and the Denver short-term HDTV scene doesn’t look good.

I have had the H-20 and currently also have the HR-20. Contrary to the post by "Thomas P" Denver Directv locals are very good and I have no complaints. Denver OTA is an entirely different story that's due to legal wranglings that won't be solved for years. Once again where you live in the metro area will determine whether or not you can recieve HD over the air. If you go with AT-9 and either the H-20 or HR20 you will have few complaints about the locals in HD.

The biggest problem with D* Denver Mpeg4 service is that you will only receive NBC, CBS, and ABC via sat. If you take the time to install an antenna, you will get CW, FOX, two separate PBS stations, two Spanish language stations, and several independents, all in HD. For me, there's no comparison. Additionally, if you are one of those people that can think they can see a difference with bit rates and "HDLite" as it's lovingly referred to, OTA signals are uncompressed and full resolution.

You really don't need an expensive antenna to get Denver OTA locals. Terk antennas are completely worthless and all you are paying for is the packaging. Yes, you do need to mount one outdoors, a set top indoor antenna will leave you more frustrated than the price tag is worth. My $35 Channel Master (rated for blue zones) from Ace Hardware with a $30 distribution amplifier works just fine, even mounted in the attic from my home near DIA.

I have no intention of moving to the AT-9 until D* starts putting some more nationals and all of our locals in Mpeg4. My antenna works beautifully, even in the snow. :)

Here's a couple of resources for those of us in the Denver area. First, go to www.antennaweb.org and put in the address that you are moving to. That will help you decide what type of antenna you will need. If you're planning on mounting in the attic, be aware that your reception will be dramatically reduced but better than any set top.

Second, visit the www.avsforum.com link that Phil T posted. Those guys will tell you everything you need to know about OTA reception around here. Yes, we are a "low power" city, but you can get your locals for free with minimal set up costs.

Good luck, and welcome to Denver!

My many thanks to you all!! It looks like I'll be in the Westminster, Thornton area at least I'm pretty sure. I'll try my HR10-250 and a good outdoor (cheap) antenna first before I go to the HR20 and the AT-9. My favorite Apt is at 4901 W 93rd Ave in Westminster. It backs up to a golf course and is only 14 min. from work and might be in a good location for OTA. I'll just have to wait and see. Can't wait to get back out there. Thanks again.---Ray

My many thanks to you all!! It looks like I'll be in the Westminster, Thornton area at least I'm pretty sure. I'll try my HR10-250 and a good outdoor (cheap) antenna first before I go to the HR20 and the AT-9. My favorite Apt is at 4901 W 93rd Ave in Westminster. It backs up to a golf course and is only 14 min. from work and might be in a good location for OTA. I'll just have to wait and see. Can't wait to get back out there. Thanks again.---Ray

that's about 1/2 mile from me, your antenna will work with everything except NBC if you have the same luck as me. But if you're able to get NBC -- let me know what kind of antenna you have as I'd love to get my sunday night football games in HD!:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)