Moving to Direct from Charter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mobowhunter

Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
O'Fallon, MO
I have finally had enough with Charter and am switching over to Direct. I have been reading the forum here for the last couple weeks trying to understand the set-ups and what I should expect from an installer. I have a couple questions if you guys have the time to help out I would appreciate it.

I have 3 hd tv's(2 will need DVR's) and 2 sd tv's that do not need DVR's. What would be the best installation plan for this package - what dish would they use?

How do I find a good installer - is it better to go with a local company or just to call DirectTv? I live in O'Fallon, MO.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.
Jeff

With a new install, you most likely will get a SWMLine dish, aka the AU9-SL3. This has one output which can be split for use by up to 8 tuners (DVRs count as two).

DirecTV will contract with a local installer for the install.

I would do some homework.
Try to determine where you might want the dish installed (southwest view of the sky).
Find a central/common location where the coax from the dish will enter the house. Also scope out how the lines from the rooms can be run to that common location. Maybe even run some RG6 yourself and install wallplates.
I'd also run some Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable while you're at it.

Any chance that in the future you may relocate the TV to a different location in a room? If so, run that line as well to the common location. You can connect that as needed.

RE: leaving charter

I made the same move Dec-2007...one of the best moves I've ever made. Welcome!

I went with a local installer, simply b/c you generally get the exact same deal ($$$-wise) and you can usually get a better installation schedule/time-frame from the local guy.

RBJ

When I built my house a few years back I did run RG6 homeruns from the basement to each room, kitchen, living room, basement, etc. They all come to a central point where the dish wire would run into - and that would give the installer a good location to mount the dish somewhat close. I have a finished basement with a drywall ceiling - I head the multi switch would need power, so I am going to have to figure out a way to get power to the distribution point - if that makes sense. The distribution point is accessible in the basement behind a fake 18" by 18" ceiling vent.

Thanks, Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)