"Moving" to get locals from another area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IceRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Is it as simple as going to the Web site and changing the "installation" address or is it more complex than that?

Is it as simple as going to the Web site and changing the "installation" address or is it more complex than that?

A little more complex. You can't change your installation/service address online, only your billing address.

If your were to do this, not sure of the legal ramifications, you would have to call D* and change your service address. At this point you can go to the website and change your billing address.

You can contact DTV online via e mail and update your "service" address. Usually it takes 24-48 hours to get the e mail, but it saves you from making a phone call if you rather would just do it online. I've done it many times but did it to a Long Island address, so because the NY's are national and not spotbeam there was only an issue with the CW and MY9 stations and other small locals that are on spotbeam. Other then that worked like a charm, just hope you don't have to get a service call, but you can always just go online and change your address back through the e mail before you call for a tech. ;)

You know I would say just fix it yourself if the install is not too tricky to get at but now with the 5 position antennas to accommodate MPEG 4 I'm not so sure I could. But as opposed to calling and paying someone $200 to repoint my dish I would at least try once. :D

Other than that, if it's a receiver problem don't you just essentially swap receivers? So the service addy would probably be best a relative or private business you are on very good terms with or own.

Anybody know if you can get Raleigh-area spotbeams on southeastern Virginia?

Anybody know if you can get Raleigh-area spotbeams on southeastern Virginia?

What part of SE Virginia are you in, RD DMA ends at La Cross Virgina starting from but not including Broadnax. Broadnax to Emporia and north of 58 is DMA for Richmond, east and northeast of Emporia down to Pleasent Hill, NC is DMA for Norfolk. Lake Gaston From Henrico County to Gaston up to Gasburg is Norfolk. All of those areas will receive the 3 DMA's Spotbeams but takes an act of congress to get them to turn on ones outside of your Zipcode. There is a Bordering County line Waiver you can get from the FCC that would allow you to get those channels for emergency services reasons.

If you are down in Hampton Roads you are pretty much stuck with New Bern/Richmond and Norfolk Spotbeams. Keep in mind from Mecklemburg to a bit past and north of Emporia you will experience channel spotbeam issues 3 times a year since it is on the very edge of RD DMA beams.

Is there a spotbeam map available to be able to see where the different spots illuminate?

There is but it is outdated and very inaccurate.

This is a rough map for the DMA's in that area, kinda sucks cuz I could easily work all 3 and save many tech's 2 and 3 hour drives but they wont let us work across DMA lines :(

Last edited:
I'm in Hampton Roads. So it sounds like I couldn't get the Raleigh-area spotbeams?

IIRC, at one time WRAL (or someother Raleigh local station) didn't give D* digitial retransmission rights because the HD spot beams didn't cover their entier DMA. They finally agreeded to it when D* promised to fix the problem, never did hear though if they did.

WRAL is definitely on D* now. As far as Hampton Roads if you did get RD Channels they would be spotty (no pun intended) and you would not need the 3 Sat Dish you have now as they are on the 101 (or 103 for HD.) But yea for that you would need local waivers to get Hampton Roads and Raleigh/Durham Channels or else a move. I know I could get Wavy 10 out here (Northern Eastern Part of Lake Gaston) with not much issue.

I have a house in Florida (my home base) where I get the local channels out of Orlando. The receivers are located in my RV (motorhome). I was in Cincinnati last June and had the local channels changed to the Cincinnati address where I was parked. Everything worked fine. Now I am back at the home base and have transferred the locals back. I now get the Orlando channels fine on one receiver. I forgot that the other receiver was not plugged in when the change was made and it still thinks it is in Cincinnati. Over three hours have been spent talking to DTV people without any resolution. We have tried all kinds of resets without any positive results.

Does anyone have any good suggestions other than getting a technician for $80 to come out to the RV? Thanks

judway

a Tech isnt going to be able to help you get the right locals, specially if the other rec are working fine, its a programming issue on D*'s end.

I think it is a problem at the D* end also, but I have a hard time getting this through to the "help agents" on the other end. I would think that a simple renew to the programming would fix it. Maybe when the regular update comes through it will be fixed. Otherwise I will just get the locals off the air. When I am out of range they don't work anyway. Thanks for your input.

I finally got hold of someone at D* and got the major problem solved. I still have some problems but believe I will leave them alone. Not worth the bother.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)