moving to Los Angeles

07mod

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
I tried to "move" to Los Angeles but was told I would have to have a 2nd dish installed and my receivers reprogrammed. Is this correct? If so where can I move to get all the west coast networks in HD? I live in Southern Cal on the Mexico border and can only get the networks in SD.

The San Diego HD locals are on a spotbeam (110, TP29s39) that covers all of SoCal and in Baja down to about Ensenada. Any Dish 500 could get 110, but for the other Dish HD you'd need some flavor of a Dish 1000.

Don't know about your receivers.

The LA Hd locals are on the 129 satellite on TP4. You will need the 1000.2 dish in order to receive them. Of course, the spotbeam must reach your area.

You will either have to add another D500 for 129W to your existing setup for LA HD locals or install a 1000.2. The problem is that E* likes to do the installation for 1st time HD upgraders. I assume you haven't had HD installed yet. You may have to do the install for your DMA and then "move" to LA afterward unless you do the install yourself. If you do things yourself, you'll have to get a CSR to turn on programming without an E* visit. You'll just have to tell them everything is already set up and keep playing CSR roulette until you get one that sees it your way. The problem is whether you already have an HD receiver. If you don't you'll have to buy one or have E* do the install and then move afterward. If you're only looking for the SD locals, you should be in the San Diego DMA or Yuma DMA if further east. Yuma and San Diego SD locals are on 110W.

You should be in the LA spot beam for HD locals: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/database/Subscription/images/CIEL2_SB33.jpg

I have 2 HD recievers and the yuma locals but they are in sd only. Can recieve Fox and ABC over an antenna in HD but no CBS. Also the locals are very poor quality.

you only get the yuma locals in sd because they don't broadcast in HD .. and if you aren't able to pick up kusi with an OTA then you are probably out of the San Diego spotbeam.

If you move to LA you need a new dish, not an additional dish. The one you have now is most likely a dish 500 with a DPP twin LNBF.. (I bet I know who installed it too if the install had been in the last two years)...You will need a 1000.2 (110,119,129) dish.

The big issue in LA will be Line Of Sight.

you only get the yuma locals in sd because they don't broadcast in HD .. and if you aren't able to pick up kusi with an OTA then you are probably out of the San Diego spotbeam.

If you move to LA you need a new dish, not an additional dish. The one you have now is most likely a dish 500 with a DPP twin LNBF.. (I bet I know who installed it too if the install had been in the last two years)...You will need a 1000.2 (110,119,129) dish.

The big issue in LA will be Line Of Sight.

coretj, he doesn't have to have a 1000.2 to be able to get 129W. That's a one dish desirable solution, but not the only one.

O7mod, what dish(es) do you have installed now? What receiver models? Can you receive 129W? If so, what signal strength do you get for Transponder 4 on 129W? That's the LA transponder number.

I have a dish 1000 at least that's what it says on the dish. It has 3 eyes I think those are called LNB's right. I get 40-50 on 129 set to transponder 4.
The 2 recievers are the VIP 722 and the VIP612.

I have a dish 1000 at least that's what it says on the dish. It has 3 eyes I think those are called LNB's right. I get 40-50 on 129 set to transponder 4.
The 2 recievers are the VIP 722 and the VIP612.

You are set to "move" to LA then. You don't need any upgrades or a truck roll. I don't know why a CSR would have told you that. Do an online chat and "move" to whatever service address in LA you have chosen. Keep trying CSRs until you get one that lets you move. If they tell you otherwise, ask them why you need an upgrades for dishes or receivers when you already have a dish pointed at 110, 119, and 129 and new receivers. I assume you are currently getting HD programming, just not the HD locals you need, correct?

Yes I have a HD package and everything works fine. I'll call when I get home tonight and play the game until I get the results I want. Thanks for your help. I'll be joining you as a pub member soon and and I'M not talking E* soon.
Thanks for the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)