Moving to Vacation Home - Disconnecting Main Home

YoungClayB

Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I have a somewhat interesting situation. I've been a dish customer for many years. On my account, I have 3 HD DVRs...2 of which are at my main home and 1 of which is at my vacation home. For my vacation home, I just bought a dish off of amazon and installed and pointed it myself (Due to mountains and trees, I dont get a great signal...I can only see sat 110 in the summer and then once the leaves fall, I can see 119). A couple of months ago, I decided to sell my main house and move permanently to my vacation home.

Knowing that DTV satelittes are a little "higher" in the sky, I called and made an appointment for new Direct service at my vacation home. The tech came out (DTV- not dish) and we spent hours together on my roof, but could not get a signal strong enough for activation. I was refunded and basically told that Direct was not an option for me.

So, I guess I am keeping dish. My question is this: what do I do? I dont really fall into the "movers" program since I already have a dish installed at my vacation home. And also, I would hate it if a dish tech came out and told me that my dish signal isnt strong enough and they refused to allow me to keep my service. Although the idea of a tech coming out, running a few extra lines to the bedrooms, and professionally pointing the dish doesnt seem like a bad idea....as long as they dont give me the old "we are canceling your service because your signal isnt strong enough"

What do you guys think?

I have a somewhat interesting situation. I've been a dish customer for many years. On my account, I have 3 HD DVRs...2 of which are at my main home and 1 of which is at my vacation home. For my vacation home, I just bought a dish off of amazon and installed and pointed it myself (Due to mountains and trees, I dont get a great signal...I can only see sat 110 in the summer and then once the leaves fall, I can see 119). A couple of months ago, I decided to sell my main house and move permanently to my vacation home.

Knowing that DTV satelittes are a little "higher" in the sky, I called and made an appointment for new Direct service at my vacation home. The tech came out (DTV- not dish) and we spent hours together on my roof, but could not get a signal strong enough for activation. I was refunded and basically told that Direct was not an option for me.

So, I guess I am keeping dish. My question is this: what do I do? I dont really fall into the "movers" program since I already have a dish installed at my vacation home. And also, I would hate it if a dish tech came out and told me that my dish signal isnt strong enough and they refused to allow me to keep my service. Although the idea of a tech coming out, running a few extra lines to the bedrooms, and professionally pointing the dish doesnt seem like a bad idea....as long as they dont give me the old "we are canceling your service because your signal isnt strong enough"

What do you guys think?

Regardless of having a Dish set up there now, as long as you do not have your actual account listed there you should be able to do a Dish Mover to that new location. As far as Dish knows you just bought the house and there was a Dish there already.

Dish has two sets of satellites so the installer most likely will be able to get good signals on one or the other.

And this would be a good time to use a local retailer that you can discuss things with- some extras.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you are still thinking of installing yourself, you could purchase and install a couple larger dishes and place them individually where needed to get each sat. IF there's any place on your lot to do this with unobstructed views of each sat. I did that for years with a couple of old Primestar 1 meter dishes, and DP dual lnb's. One was for 110w sat, and the other in a different location in the yard for 119w. Even individual Dish500's with an I adapter and lnb's mounted in the center have quite good signal compared to the usual use of picking up both 110 and 119. Dish500's are all over the place, and people throw them out, so they are easy to find.

Or, you can try the Dishmover first as others have said. IF they do eventually say there's no line of sight for s single dish, nothing stops you from trying the above with larger dishes of your own. It's much easier to mount and aim/tune in single dishes for single sats anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)