"moving" with Dish and my zip code question

Always wondered why all the "by the book" dish guru's here don't slam people who want to ''move''? it is illegal to receive local channels outside of your DMA isn't it?

I have no problem with it, but figured the anal types here would.....lol....

It's a good question, I can answer from my standpoint. It's not the same as hacking for instance. And it's not illegal, I don't think it's a criminal act and thus you wouldn't be prosecuted for it. It appears to me the one thing it goes against is in the Dish policy that Dish wants an accurate accounting of where their receivers are. (If you own your equipment I guess it's even less against their policy?) It's not completely honest no question, but you are not stacking, and have all receivers in the same household, and are paying Dish.

Breaking a law or agreement is not ok, but it's what happens when ridicules and/or arbitrary rules are put into place, in this case by the FCC/Government. When a few feet can determine that you can not get your favorite channels/sports teams this is what happens, right or not. When you are not even given a choice when something otherwise is technically and easily possible and many people would actually pay a little more to the networks to get their preferred market, this is what happens.

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with this issue. I feel more prepared for my install today because of your help. I've spent the past 4 years learning everything I could about Directv, and now I'm adjusting to a bit of a learning curve with Dish. But this definitely helped. Now I'm just waiting for the tech to arrive to see which arc I'll be seeing..... :popcorn

Very enlightening thread.

I have a similar issue perhaps the experts can offer some advice.
My dish account is setup in Los Angeles but I'm currently at a 2nd residence. I'm set up with a dish 500 western arc pointed at (110,118,119,129) using Vip 722 receiver.

My problem - I'm not getting any local channels from LA or from my current address. After reading all the posts I recognize the problem is I'm outside of the LA spotbeam and thus am not getting the locals.

According to Iceberg's url of spotbeam locations, my current address is in spotbeam #9 region - I'm within 45 minutes of Buffalo, NY.

I'd like to get local channels - I don't care if they are LA locals or the locals that are within spotbeam 09 - I just want to see any football. :)

What are my options?
1) If I move my service addess, can I do so without changing my existing dish from western arc to eastern arc? (and will doing so give me all the spotbeam 09 locals since I'm within the spotbeam region?)
2) Is there any benefit to calling in a tech to convert over to the eastern arc?
3) Will adding another dish help in any way?
4) If I change service address, will I lose any channels?

Thanks. I'm confused but hope soon to be confused at a higher level. :)

1. you need to change to Eastern Arc if you want them in HD
2. If you're in Canada (your location says Ontario) that really wont help ;)
3. You would need 61.5 to be able to see Buffalo HD locals
4. LA locals (which dont come in anyways)...also your RSN will change from the Los Angeles sports networks to....well actually none as Dish doesnt carry any of the New York RSN's

Good to know. Just out of curiosity: I saw some Eastern Arc spot beam maps back in January when I started this thread, but I suspect the maps may have changed since then. Does anybody know where to find them?

Click on the SatMaps link above and scroll WAY down until you see the spot you want. Look for E16 not E12.

Those maps are awesome. Why do some cities have 2 spot beams on the same satellite? For instance, on E16, 61.5, I see St. Louis has SP61 which has a more central coverage area over Missouri, and then I see SP35, which is more centered around Southeast Missouri?

Missouri covers 69,700 sq miles. Don't you want more than one spot for the whole state?

Of course. What I mean is, they are two separate spot beams for the same set of locals on the same satellite to cover the same city. Is that common for other states?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)