Moving with Voom

a&m 350z

Original poster
May 18, 2004
I am moving and do not want to have to pay the 125 fee for this. I would love to just install it myself (I know I can do a much better job), but then I would not get the locals. I guess my options are just cancel and resubscribe but I like the fact I have been with them since the beginning. If I just move it myself and call to change address will they bill me? Anyone else move? I searched but not much on this topic.

Thanks for any suggestions.

So if I do that they wont bill me? If I am going to have to pay anyways I would just let them do it.

I don't think Voom has anything to do with the Locals since they're OTA, just re-scan for the locals and see what happends, I bet your program guide gets updated to show only the new channels..

So maybe I could just move it myself, rescan and then call and change the billing address only?

a&m 350z said:
I am moving and do not want to have to pay the 125 fee for this. I would love to just install it myself (I know I can do a much better job), but then I would not get the locals. I guess my options are just cancel and resubscribe but I like the fact I have been with them since the beginning. If I just move it myself and call to change address will they bill me? Anyone else move? I searched but not much on this topic.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I moved from Houston to Phoenix last summer and just moved the equipment myself and installed it before I even called V*. If you are moving to a new DMA you can scan and get your local channels, but your old DMA channels will still be on your PG and no information will show up for your new local channels. Also if you move to another time zone, your PG will still show program times in your old DMA. I called V* once I got to Phoenix and had completed the install and they were not very happy that I moved it myself, but after explaining (actually arguing) with them for a while they changed my address and set me up on the Phoenix local DMA which corrected my PG for local channels as well as the time zone issues.

jbphoenix said:
I moved from Houston to Phoenix last summer and just moved the equipment myself and installed it before I even called V*. If you are moving to a new DMA you can scan and get your local channels, but your old DMA channels will still be on your PG and no information will show up for your new local channels. Also if you move to another time zone, your PG will still show program times in your old DMA. I called V* once I got to Phoenix and had completed the install and they were not very happy that I moved it myself, but after explaining (actually arguing) with them for a while they changed my address and set me up on the Phoenix local DMA which corrected my PG for local channels as well as the time zone issues.
Just out of curiosity, do you own or lease the equipment? If you own your equipment I can't see VOOM having anything to say other than, "Yes Sir!" However, leased equipment may be another story.

Sure wish VOOM would allow self-installs.

riffjim4069 said:
Just out of curiosity, do you own or lease the equipment? If you own your equipment I can't see VOOM having anything to say other than, "Yes Sir!" However, leased equipment may be another story.

Sure wish VOOM would allow self-installs.
It is leased... They actually wanted to charge me $125.00 and not even dispatch a tech (installer) just because I moved it myself, but after having a discussion and threatening to discontinue the service, (I love V* and I would have probably given in if they would have forced the issue on me) they decided to just change my address and not charge me the $125.00 for an install that was already complete. I told them that I have a satellite sig. of 96-97 and was able to get all of the OTA Phoenix channels with a sig. of 95-99, and that the system was properly grounded, so they were Ok with my install in the end. I guess they realized that if I was happy with the service and willing to still pay the monthly bill on time, that they did not have anything to loose. They were just upset that I installed it myself... They didn't care that I moved the receivers from one location to another! They just wanted to have someone come out and install it at the new location... for $125.00!! I know there are several installers who visit these forums, and that "self installs" is taking money away from them, but I do wish V* would allow self installs like E* and D*... At least I guess they still allow self installs.. It has been about 3 years since I had either E* or D*. As for the installers on these forums, there will always be plenty of customers who either don't understand how to install, or won't install the systems for themselves.. :cool:

Thanks for the info. I guess I will try that. I little bit of arguing is worth 125 bucks. I guess if they insist on the money I can just cancel the service and sign up again for a dollar!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts