"MOVING"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
I would like to have DNS service so that I could get the big 4 nets in HD. I presently have Direct for the MLBEI package (HD) and a minimal service plan.

I live in central Wyoming and Direct does not have any local networks available.

Any idea where I could "move" to that does not have any over the air signal, and therefore would qualify for DNS. Obviously a spotbeam wont help unless I am on the fringe of it, therefor the CONUS beam would appear to be my only chance.

Considering what a pain it is TO get approved f/DNS anywhere, you'd be better off to move to an adjacent market that D* carries in HD. Not only will you get what you are wanting, it'll be MUCH cheaper than paying extra for DNS, as well as getting any other stations in that market, such as PBS, CW, MNT, etc.
I would think that Denver would be an adjacent market you could move to, but since I'm not totally sure where you live, I not going to guarantee it 100% - if you knew anyone that actually did have D* service in the Denver DMA, you could always borrow one of their receivers, take it to your place & try it out for yourself, before you "moved" your account. ;)

stay in wyoming if direct doesnt offer locals to you apply for a waiver should be granted and you can get la hd and la and ny sd plus a washington dc cw channel in sd

I moved to montana to reduce prosports blackouts and for la hd and la and ny sd channels
couldnt be happier

between a rock and a hard place

At present the SD Denver locals are still coming in. Getting LA HD would be great if I could stay up that late (we go to bed with the chickens here in the Cowboy state) one rock, the other rock, I already get Denver SD locals a nd could have Wyoming locals if I so choose.

In the good old days of large dishes (1980 I started) I had east and west coast feeds. In the good old days of small dishes I had east coast feeds and the Red sox on NESN.

In the good not so old days (last week) I had Denver HD nets on DISH and MLBEI on Direct.

Now I have Denver SD on DISH and MLBEI on Direct.

It would be nice to have it all. You would think with the economy the way it is allowing choice in the TV uplink buisness would be good.

I am trying to get educated quickly about D. Are local channels mostly spotbeamed or is there an east coast group of networks (hopefully Boston) that is on a CONUS beam?

At present here in Wyoming I have a DIRECT setup with one large dish sporting three LNBs with a spot for one more. I assume I am pointing at the three main birds that Direct has. Are there others.

There are lots of charts and spotbeam maps available for DISH, but I don't appear to be able to find the same type of info for DIRECT. Am I just lost on the various charts?

Moving on DISH worked slick, is it as esy to do on DIRECT?

I am trying to get educated quickly about D. Are local channels mostly spotbeamed or is there an east coast group of networks (hopefully Boston) that is on a CONUS beam?

At present here in Wyoming I have a DIRECT setup with one large dish sporting three LNBs with a spot for one more. I assume I am pointing at the three main birds that Direct has. Are there others.

There are lots of charts and spotbeam maps available for DISH, but I don't appear to be able to find the same type of info for DIRECT. Am I just lost on the various charts?

Moving on DISH worked slick, is it as esy to do on DIRECT?

NY and LA are on CONUS, all other locals are spots.

When I go to my guide on DIRECT I see NYC HD channels. Are these CONUS or spot. If I "move" to the NYC area will I get these in HD?

Those are CONUS. You will get those if you "move" to NYC. You will not get any other NYC locals though, only the Big 4.

Will my present dish with its three LNBs pickup the specific satellite for the NYC big 4 HD channels. How do I check for what satellites I presently receive. I went into setup and could only get signal strengths for the 101. I assume I could check others, but I can't figure it out.

I am also a dish customer but lost my Atlanta local HD due to them switching to spot beam. It is very easy to"move" with dish would it be as easy to "move with Direct? I live in Charlottesville VA. Is there any HD locals I could pick up in my area?:confused:

good "moves"

79744 zip gets you nyc/la sd dns and nyc hd dns and cw washington plus fsn southwest rsn (rangers,astros,spurs and stars

49905 zip gets you nyc/la sd dns and nyc hd plus fsn detroit(redwings,pistons and tigers)

### main st address works well, also add an apartment number just in case.

plug in address at the directv dns eligability site. search for directv dns site and enter address

another good "move" with left coast hd

zip 59920 gets you nyc/la sd dns and la hd dns and cw washington dc plus altitude channel foravalanche hockey and fsn northwest seattle mariners baseball

Last edited:
good "moves"

79744 zip gets you nyc/la sd dns and nyc hd dns and cw washington plus fsn southwest rsn (rangers,astros,spurs and stars

49905 zip gets you nyc/la sd dns and nyc hd plus fsn detroit(redwings,pistons and tigers)

### main st address works well, also add an apartment number just in case.

plug in address at the directv dns eligability site. search for directv dns site and enter address

Can you do it all online or do you have to speak with a CSR?

Instead of choosing distant could I just chose Roanoke VA.? It is only 90 miles away signal should reach Charlottesville I would think.

Last question, I am making the switch Monday to D* will I throw up a red flag or will it be dificult to "move" to Richmond the same day? If I call CSR will the catch this or are the like E* and look the other way? I really miss having HD locals...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)