Mpeg-1.5??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
I was looking around on lyngsat and found on one of the Anik sats (F1R i think) some channels with MPEG-1.5 encoding. What is this and what kind of box decodes this? Just curious, never seen or heard of this one before.

I was looking around on lyngsat and found on one of the Anik sats (F1R i think) some channels with MPEG-1.5 encoding. What is this and what kind of box decodes this? Just curious, never seen or heard of this one before.

That's what Directv uses I believe.

"Broadcasters wanted the enconomy of digital transmission, but because MPEG-1 was not suitable for satellite and MPEG-2 was still being developed, a "bastardized" flavor of MPEG which I call MPEG-1.5 was created. This format is not a official standard, but is still used for satellite (CNN Airport network uses MPEG-1.5). MPEG-1.5 uses a wide bandwidth MPEG-1 flavor of video encoding along with multiplexing of data streams which allows multiple programs to be transmitted across one satellite channel at a time."

North American MPEG-2 Information

I would guess they were commercial boxes? I remember when WOR (about the time they became WWOR) changed from analog VideocipherII to mpeg 1.5, and we lost the ability to receive it. I don't remember ever seeing a way to get access to one of those receivers? Not too long after that, DigicipherII came out and most people went that route, but I don't think WWOR ever did DigicipherII. Digicipher II was/is an mpeg 2 stream.
I would say it's been around since the early 90's, maybe late 80's..???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts