Mpeg 2 and the new HD's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I have a Sammy TS-360 receiver. Will this receiver be able to get the HD channels coming September? I live in an area where I would have to put up two dishes to get my locals and I do not want to do this since, I can get them OTA anyway. I called customer service twice and got two different answers. One said that yes, I have to switch to a different dish and receiver and D* would contact me when the date got closer. The other said I would get every channel but not my locals with my current set up. So what is it? Will my current setup allow me to see all the HD channels?

The ONLY DirecTV recievers that will be able to get the new HD channels are the H20, and the HR20 (HD-DVR). Additonally, a 5lnb dish is REQUIRED. All of the new channels will be MPEG4.

It is truly that simple.

The ONLY DirecTV recievers that will be able to get the new HD channels are the H20, and the HR20 (HD-DVR). Additonally, a 5lnb dish is REQUIRED. All of the new channels will be MPEG4.

It is truly that simple.

I literally just got off the phone again with Directv two minutes ago and the CSR said that my current equipment is "sufficient." No upgrade necessary. What the hell?

You may want to pass this information to Directv because their CSR's don't have a clue. I asked the CSR specifically if I needed to upgrade and she said "no." I then asked, if later on an upgrade is necessary will it be a free upgrade? Her response was, all equipment would have to be paid by me because my current equipment is up to date. I have a Sammy TS 360 with a 3 lnb.

You may want to pass this information to Directv because their CSR's don't have a clue.
And this surprises you? Absent scripted information, CSRs will give you their best shot. You need to shoot higher than the CSRs if you expect to make any kind of positive impact on reducing CSR misinformation.

The CSR's are the last to know usually. Call this number 1-888-355-7530, you'll have to go through a menu 2 or three times in order to get to a human. If you have any leased equipment you can get dish install, multiswitch, and trade in on the lease stuff for FREE. I had a combination of hd tivos owned and leased. YOU MUST BE SPECIFIC ON THE MULTISWITCH. The MPEG4 SWITCHES are very expensive. MAKE IT CRYSTAL CLEAR THAT THE SWITCH WILL BE TRADED ON D*'S DIME. Write down all confirm data and acct number data for a backup. You'll have to take an adversarial role with the CSRs dot your I's and cross your T's.

You may want to pass this information to Directv because their CSR's don't have a clue. I asked the CSR specifically if I needed to upgrade and she said "no." I then asked, if later on an upgrade is necessary will it be a free upgrade? Her response was, all equipment would have to be paid by me because my current equipment is up to date. I have a Sammy TS 360 with a 3 lnb.

i really hate to burst your bubble but you are going to have to upgrade.....no ands, ifs or buts about it. i would suggest going to directv's website, clicking on contact us and sending an email regarding this. tell them what you have and that you have been given the csr runaround. you will get an answer in less than 24 hours. and more than likely, they should have someone from retention call. they do call and usually within 24 hours after your email is forwarded to them.

this way you have a paper trail. i recommend it to everyone because i show show directv when they aren't being truthful!

good luck.

Sharpie,
To a certian extent the CSR was somewhat accurate.
You do not need to upgrade, but you will not get any new HD channels if you don't.
You will get exactly what you currently get IF you keep what you curently have, until D* starts changing channels over to mpeg4.
Your Sammy TS 360 will only pick up the mpeg2 signal, therefore you will only get what you have now.
As others have mentioned already you will need the new 5 LNB dish and a New H-20 or HR-20 (DVR model) in order to get the new channels.

Jimbo

Sharpie,
To a certian extent the CSR was somewhat accurate.
You do not need to upgrade, but you will not get any new HD channels if you don't.
You will get exactly what you currently get IF you keep what you curently have, until D* starts changing channels over to mpeg4.
Your Sammy TS 360 will only pick up the mpeg2 signal, therefore you will only get what you have now.
As others have mentioned already you will need the new 5 LNB dish and a New H-20 or HR-20 (DVR model) in order to get the new channels.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo, but I specifically asked the CSR about the "new" HD channels. I sent off an email to them and I am waiting for their response. What happens to the old dish when they come out to swap? I may want to keep the dish for tailgating.

Go Illini!
Last year 2-10, this year 10-2. Dreams become reality. :eek::)

The CSR's are the last to know usually. Call this number 1-888-355-7530, you'll have to go through a menu 2 or three times in order to get to a human. If you have any leased equipment you can get dish install, multiswitch, and trade in on the lease stuff for FREE. I had a combination of hd tivos owned and leased. YOU MUST BE SPECIFIC ON THE MULTISWITCH. The MPEG4 SWITCHES are very expensive. MAKE IT CRYSTAL CLEAR THAT THE SWITCH WILL BE TRADED ON D*'S DIME. Write down all confirm data and acct number data for a backup. You'll have to take an adversarial role with the CSRs dot your I's and cross your T's.

And why would the OP need a multiswitch if he's using only one receiver?

I don't care what you agree to with D*, as an installer if the multiswitch is not required for the install it will not be installed. Why? Because D* will only reimburse my company for the equipment actually necessary to complete the installation. If I install a multiswitch on a single receiver account, my company is going to eat that cost.

I would also like to point out that regardless of what you "negotiated" with D*, the installer can only go by what is actually on his work order. Changes can be made to work orders after the installer shows up, but you may see additional charges because of them.

When my AT-9 was installed the installer left the original dish in place. I took it down later.

My original dish is still in place, too. I think I'm going to run it to my SD DVRs and save the cost of a WB616.

And don't worry, as soon as the new channels come along, the CSRs will have to "get with the program" real quick! They'll be buried in phone calls from customers who "do not need" new equipment.

I called Directv again and this time I got a CSR that knew something. I have setup a time to receive the new dish and H20 for a cost of $19.95. The CSR also put on the work order that my old dish was to stay with me. :)

Here is an update. New dish and receiver installed and working great. Terrific, professional installers. Great job all around and I am now one happy man.:):D:up

Here is an update. New dish and receiver installed and working great. Terrific, professional installers. Great job all around and I am now one happy man.:):D:up

Good to hear. I think the bad installs tend to dominate the threads. Folks dont normally report when things go well. Glad to see some good installs out there. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)