MPEG-2/DVB/FTA Coolsat Receiver - New User Questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

awh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
The receiver in question is a Coolsat-5000 and I have lots of questions!

This is my first FTA receiver, but I've had C-band since about 1985. My current BUD system consists of a Chaparral Monterey-95, Corotor Feedhorn w/ C & Ku LNBs, 12' Dish w/ H-to-H mount.

I have the Coolsat connect via an A/V loop to the Monterey (LNBs are split with the DC blocked side going to the Coolsat through an A/B switch [because of an issue with DiSEqC] and with the Monterey receiver providing power to the LNBs, controlling dish position and polarity) and an optical line out to a AC3 decoder for digital audio, and I'm get MPEG channels just fine - most of my question are related to the operation of the Coolsat receiver itself, for example...

In the box with the Coolsat there was only a 'User Guide,' it's very light on the details of its operation...

1) The on-screen-display that shows the channel name, there is a big round circle in the middle, I've figured out that the green bar around the outside is the signal quality (not signal strength?) and that the small circle above it represent "$" as scrambled video, and "][" for AC3 audio, but what does (.) mean? And what do the other small circles represent?

2) If I push the "Info" button on the remote twice a second display comes up, "VPID/APID" are for video and audio, "TP" is transponder frequency, why it is showing 3.xxx and 12.xxx at the same time? What are "CAS and "PPID" representing?

Under the "Installation" menu I have a few questions...

3) What's the difference between "Auto Scan" and "Blind Scan"?

4) Under "Auto Scan" the search type lists "All-Free-TV," I understand what "Free" is, but what does "TV" mean? Also, under there is "Network Search: Off/On" what is "Network Search?"

5) Adding a satellite, there are 15 blank satellite names, I've added IA-8 and got it renamed as I wanted it, but how do I enter the satellite position in degrees so that it appears within the sat listing in the right spot?

6) 4x1 DiSEqC Issues... in the "Dish Setting" menu I have LNB power off (because the BUD receiver is supplying power) LNB type set to "Universal" (for C/Ku satellites), LNB Frequency manually set as 5.150/10.750, 22KHz defaults to "auto" (no way to change it), and how should I set DiSEqC? I have the C-band LNB on port 1 and the KU on port 4, how does the receiver know when to switch from one port to the other? I've experimented with the DiSEqC settings and Committed settings, but it seems that the DiSEqC switch isn't switching inputs and that it is accepting input from all the ports at once.

7) I've looked at the diagnostic menu (with the receiver off, on the front panel hold the channel "Up" button and power the unit on) - is there some documentation on what is contained on that screen?

Sorry, for all the questions! I've only had the Coolsat a couple of days and the supplied manual isn't much help explaining things!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

awh said:
1) The on-screen-display that shows the channel name, there is a big round circle in the middle, I've figured out that the green bar around the outside is the signal quality (not signal strength?) and that the small circle above it represent "$" as scrambled video, and "][" for AC3 audio, but what does (.) mean? And what do the other small circles represent?
green bar is signal quality. the (.) means left, right or stereo audio

2) If I push the "Info" button on the remote twice a second display comes up, "VPID/APID" are for video and audio, "TP" is transponder frequency, why it is showing 3.xxx and 12.xxx at the same time? What are "CAS and "PPID" representing?
it shows both the frequency and symbol rate. 1st number is frequency, 2nd is symbol rate. CAS means what type of encryption it is (if there is any)

auto scan only scans the transponders stored in the unit. Blind scan finds the other frequencies that arent published

4) Under "Auto Scan" the search type lists "All-Free-TV," I understand what "Free" is, but what does "TV" mean? Also, under there is "Network Search: Off/On" what is "Network Search?"
TV will only scan for TV channels. Satellites like IA5 have a ton of radio too. TV only logs TV chanels.
network search is useless in this country. It searches for frequencies with the same symbol rate but doesn't work here.

5) Adding a satellite, there are 15 blank satellite names, I've added IA-8 and got it renamed as I wanted it, but how do I enter the satellite position in degrees so that it appears within the sat listing in the right spot?
go to motor setting, scroll down to option and select USALS and enter it. It won't put it in line. The satellite stays at the bottom

6) 4x1 DiSEqC Issues... in the "Dish Setting" menu I have LNB power off (because the BUD receiver is supplying power) LNB type set to "Universal" (for C/Ku satellites), LNB Frequency manually set as 5.150/10.750, 22KHz defaults to "auto" (no way to change it), and how should I set DiSEqC? I have the C-band LNB on port 1 and the KU on port 4, how does the receiver know when to switch from one port to the other? I've experimented with the DiSEqC settings and Committed settings, but it seems that the DiSEqC switch isn't switching inputs and that it is accepting input from all the ports at once.
that setup won't work. You'll need a satellite for KU and one for C-Band. Set the LO for C-band as single 5150 22k off and your diseqc port can be set from there. KU would be single 10750 22k off

7) I've looked at the diagnostic menu (with the receiver off, on the front panel hold the channel "Up" button and power the unit on) - is there some documentation on what is contained on that screen?
never heard of this

Sorry, for all the questions! I've only had the Coolsat a couple of days and the supplied manual isn't much help explaining things!
99% of FTA manuals suck. Something is lost in the translation :)

I'll take a stab a a few of your questions. Satellite AV was the warranty support center for Freetech and repaired many ... many ... many Coolsat receivers during the contract.

I don't have a Coolsat at home, so I will answer as many questions as I can without the aid of looking at the menus and OSDs.

awh said:
The receiver in question is a Coolsat-5000 and I have lots of questions!

This is my first FTA receiver, but I've had C-band since about 1985. My current BUD system consists of a Chaparral Monterey-95, Corotor Feedhorn w/ C & Ku LNBs, 12' Dish w/ H-to-H mount.

I have the Coolsat connect via an A/V loop to the Monterey (LNBs are split with the DC blocked side going to the Coolsat through an A/B switch [because of an issue with DiSEqC] Explain more about the DiSEqC conflict???? Connect the DC blocked outputs to a 2x1 DiSEqC and the output of the DiSEqC to the Coolsat.

and with the Monterey receiver providing power to the LNBs, controlling dish position and polarity) and an optical line out to a AC3 decoder for digital audio, and I'm get MPEG channels just fine - most of my question are related to the operation of the Coolsat receiver itself, for example...

In the box with the Coolsat there was only a 'User Guide,' it's very light on the details of its operation...

2) If I push the "Info" button on the remote twice a second display comes up, "VPID/APID" are for video and audio, "TP" is transponder frequency, why it is showing 3.xxx and 12.xxx at the same time? What are "CAS and "PPID" representing? CAS would indicate that if the receiver has a cardreader installed, a channel was being viewed with a subscription card inserted. PPID is the ID assigned to the video stream by the uplinker.

Auto Scan - Performs a scan the existing TPs for new TV/Radio channels
Blind Scan - Performs a scan of the satellite within preset or user adjustable parameters without requiring frequency, FEC or symbol rate data.

4) Under "Auto Scan" the search type lists "All-Free-TV," I understand what "Free" is, but what does "TV" mean?
Only will list TV Channels, not Radio.

Also, under there is "Network Search: Off/On" what is "Network Search?"
Uses the Network information for searching new channels.

6) 4x1 DiSEqC Issues... in the "Dish Setting" menu I have LNB power off (because the BUD receiver is supplying power) LNB type set to "Universal" (for C/Ku satellites)Wrong ... Set to Standard and select either 5150 for C or 10750 for KU

LNB Frequency manually set as 5.150/10.750, 22KHz defaults to "auto" (no way to change it) Set the LNB type to Standard and these settings will become available.

and how should I set DiSEqC? I have the C-band LNB on port 1 and the KU on port 4, how does the receiver know when to switch from one port to the other? I've experimented with the DiSEqC settings and Committed settings, but it seems that the DiSEqC switch isn't switching inputs and that it is accepting input from all the ports at once. If you are on a satellite that will be programmed for C-Band set DiSEqC to 4. If you are on a satellite that you wish to receive KU, select 1.

7) I've looked at the diagnostic menu (with the receiver off, on the front panel hold the channel "Up" button and power the unit on) - is there some documentation on what is contained on that screen? Short answer ... No formal documentation. The diagostic screen reflects the settings of menu items and allows the setting of several funtions not found in the menus (I.E. color bars and audio test tone) or if an error prevents the entry into menus several settings can be modified.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tony
--

I set my first motor up on a 5000, the manual was of no help at all

'goto the motor setup page, enter all the correct values, and press ok'

that was the extent of the help I got from the manual :(

thank god for forums.

Thanks for the help... this will go a long way to getting me up to speed!

Right now I'm ignoring DiSEqC and just using an A/B switch, I'll revisit the DiSEqC issue when I've gain a bit more knowledge... trying to use one satellite definition for both C/Ku satellites may the root cause.

Another question...

The Coolsat receiver came with a DB9 COM cable, but there was no computer software included (and no documentation anywhere!), so I'm ass-u-ming this is used to connect 2 Coolsat receivers in a slave/master arrangement?

Can this same interface be used to save/edit/restore satellites from a computer?

Tony
--

yup, its handy for downloading the channel list off the coolsat, and editing it in channel master and then uploading it back.

Thanks! After a quick search I found the “Channel Master” software... just so I’m not reinventing the wheel, is there someplace I can download a current pre-programmed file? The current satellites in the Coolsat memory are missing SBS-6, AMC-2, and a few others.

Another question...

I’ve noticed that on AMC-6 & AMC-7 the NASA HQ1/2/3 channels (and some other channels too) the audio is a bit off, it’s more noticeable through the RCA audio connectors than the optical, is there anyway to adjust the audio sync?

Tony
--

I really appreciate everyone’s helpfulness!

I purchased the Coolsat-5000 last Thursday on more or less a whim, without doing any research beforehand, and so far I like it! Went in to buy a polarotor servo motor, (seems like I get anywhere from 5-10 years out of them and I always like to have a replacement on hand) and saw the MPG2 FTA receiver sitting on the shelf and thought I’d give it a try. My primary interest is in the NASA feeds, and having 4-5 PBS feeds to choose from is nice too! Maybe this FTA receiver will also satisfy my racing appetite? I’m primarily interested in IRL, F1 and Champ Car, I did find the Champ Car race from Denver on Galaxy-11 Sunday afternoon and on the same satellite was the IRL (in 4:2:2 video?). I’ve got 2 weeks to find how/when/where the Formula-1 race feed backhauls are. :)

Tony
--

awh said:
I’ve noticed that on AMC-6 & AMC-7 the NASA HQ1/2/3 channels (and some other channels too) the audio is a bit off, it’s more noticeable through the RCA audio connectors than the optical, is there anyway to adjust the audio sync?
--

Never heard of an audio sync issue. Are you feeding the audio to an amplifier or using the V/Monitor? If using the stereo, there might be a processing delay. If using the TV/Monitor ..... No answer

I first noticed the audio sync problem on the NASA channel, it was a taped news conference and wasn't out of sync by much, maybe a 1/3 second, and in looking closely at some of the live SNG backhauls this evening I didn't see it, so I'm going to assume that it was a problem with the tape playback on NASA... I've seen stranger things happen on NASA Select in the past, so I think we can consider this anomaly closed. :)

Tony
--

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)