MPEG-2 QPSK SD internationals @ 61.5

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
Why is dish still dragging their feet on moving a plan forward to transition all the remaining SD QPSK MPEG-2 internationals to MPEG-4 SD on 8PSK transponders, then they could restore all of the internationals back on 61.5 by using MPEG-4 SD 8PSK. Right now the compression levels on 61.5 internationals is abysmal to say the least with 16 channels crammed into a single QPSK transponder. This after they removed about half of all the internationals on 61.5 compared to 118.7. Is this company capable of making a sensible decision? We know they tried for 3 or 4 years to get all the international customers off 61.5 and onto 118.7 but obviously they realized that their are a significant number of viewers of certain languages that reside in the Northeast and it wouldn't work but why not at least move them to MPEG4 8PSK and swap the handful of receivers required to accomplish this. What is dish waiting for? they are so blinded by the HD race they have completely lost sight of everything else.

At this rate I guess we can never expect to get TV Globo international in 1080i HD since dish can't even deliver a macro block and mosquito noise free SD picture from the programmmer through dish @ 61.5 compared to 118.7. When you are paying upwards of $20 per international you should expect better.

When you are paying upwards of $20 per international you should expect better.
Hear hear. Or conversely if they cost only a couple of $ per channel, then you might understand the excessive compression.

Why is dish still dragging their feet on moving a plan forward to transition all the remaining SD QPSK MPEG-2 internationals to MPEG-4 SD on 8PSK transponders, then they could restore all of the internationals back on 61.5 by using MPEG-4 SD 8PSK. Right now the compression levels on 61.5 internationals is abysmal to say the least with 16 channels crammed into a single QPSK transponder. This after they removed about half of all the internationals on 61.5 compared to 118.7. Is this company capable of making a sensible decision? We know they tried for 3 or 4 years to get all the international customers off 61.5 and onto 118.7 but obviously they realized that their are a significant number of viewers of certain languages that reside in the Northeast and it wouldn't work but why not at least move them to MPEG4 8PSK and swap the handful of receivers required to accomplish this. What is dish waiting for? they are so blinded by the HD race they have completely lost sight of everything else.

At this rate I guess we can never expect to get TV Globo international in 1080i HD since dish can't even deliver a macro block and mosquito noise free SD picture from the programmmer through dish @ 61.5 compared to 118.7. When you are paying upwards of $20 per international you should expect better.

You don't have LOS to 118.7at your location?

Your overall point is correct. Especially when I have seen TVJapan (NHK) and TV5 France in excellent--especially TVJapan, gorgeous--SD back when they were at 148. While there are some services airing lousy prints and content not meeting broadcast quality, ther surely must be at least a few others, like Euorchannel, who send out excellent SD.

Sadly at 118 they are all fuzzy as internationals have to share with some LIL's and I think the Ku FSS spectrum is allocated less bandwidth than DBS. There just doesn't seem to be much caring from either the provider nor Dish providing high-quality internationals.

Yes 118 seems to be low resolution and 61.5 seems to be over compressed, so you have your choice, for example if you flip back and forth between 814 @ 118 or 596 @ 61.5 you can watch TV Globo fuzzy at 118 with blown out white balance or blocky at 61.5 with good video levels. I also had a 148 dish when E1 and E2 where there, then E5 moved in and the bird was unstable and from FL it would fade in an out in intervals of 30 - 180 minutes, that as we know didn't last for more than about a month when we found out on a whim exactly how unstable E5 @ 148 had become when all internations immediatly ceased and the bird flew the coop.

There are so many Internationals that dish could get in HD, NHK, RAI, TV5, TV Globo. But since dish can no longer deliver better than internet quality SD, HD is a pipe dream. All the internationals @ 61.5 seem to be put through a 5 second buffer so they can compress them even more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)