MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 What If

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
What if I dont ever upgrade to MPEG 4 ? How long will MPEG 2 last ? I have the HD Tivo and 2 other SD Tivo's , right now I am not to happy with the Hardware ( That I have read about on here, R15 and others, hopefully this will change with time ) and the new lease program. I get all my OTA channels fine. But just wanted to know what would happen?

Thanks

AT some point Im sure new channel additions will only be offered in Mpeg4, and the existing mpeg4 channels may look better. At that point it may be time to find another provider without a 2 yr commitment and ridiculous lease structure.

Well, the FIRST thing to go will be distant HD networks...

Sunday ticket and existing channels have COULD go Mpeg4, but they don't have anywhere to 'mirror' them during the transition, so likely they won't change them until they get a new ConUS satellite up.

PROBABLY what willl happen is they will start releasing new HD channels next year in Mpeg4, if you want them you'll have to upgrade. If your happy with the channels you currently get, then they'll probably work for a year or two. Once most people upgrade on their own to get new hot channels, then they won't care so much about the handfull of TiVo fans leftover..

I think Sunday ticket will be Mpeg2 next year as they won't have any new sats for it by football season, but 2007 will be mpeg4 probably...

Brewer4 said:
I thought LonghornXP mentioned (a while ago) that 2006 would be MPEG4 for HD Sunday Ticket? Any comment to this?

If it were, it would be ONLY in Mpeg4 as they don't have capacity to broadcast it in Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 at the same time. Considering they won't have an HD-DVR out by Football season, I seriously doubt they'll turn off sunday ticket mpeg2 this year..

adam1115 said:
If it were, it would be ONLY in Mpeg4 as they don't have capacity to broadcast it in Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 at the same time. Considering they won't have an HD-DVR out by Football season, I seriously doubt they'll turn off sunday ticket mpeg2 this year..
But D* does have bandwidth issues for 2006. With the new contracts the NFL signed, all games must be in HD. So that will increase the number of games in HD on ST from 9 to possibly 14. D* doesn;t have the bandwidth for that.

vurbano said:
AT some point Im sure new channel additions will only be offered in Mpeg4....

At this time this is precisely the path that E* is taking. The first "new" HD Channels under the approach are the Sat HD Locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)