MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
I'm just looking to clear things up for myself (and maybe others, too). The MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4 situation has nothing to do with PQ correct? MPEG-4 is ultimately just a different form of compression that allows for more channels right?

If anyone can enlighten me on the actual difference it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, they're both compression algorithms. MPEG-4 is supposed to compress better, allowing more channels per transponder.

Google it - there's a wealth of comparison information out there and you can get as technical as you want. There are "quality" differences, but they become very subjective. Moving forward, advanced technologies are needed to enable the expanded service demands. Too bad MPEG-2 equipment can't simply be upgraded with a software change. Apparently MPEG-4 requires a whole bunch more processing horsepower that most MPEG-2 equipment doesn't have...

bhelms said:
Apparently MPEG-4 requires a whole bunch more processing horsepower that most MPEG-2 equipment doesn't have...
Half (or more) right. ;)

The MPEG decoding is done by a specialized chip. This chip has a built-in processor and decoding firmware. BOTH more horsepower, AND decoding formware are required to git-r-done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)