MPEG-4 a foreseen possibility on C-Band?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilyarbie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
With all the talk and news going on concerning the newer compression technology with Voom, Echostar, and DirectTv making the necessary plans to switch to MPEG-4, is there any possibility that C-band will ultimately head this direction as well. If so, would this also be what eventually takes down C-band as a consumer system and only makes it commercialized? I know that there are the 4DTV receivers from Motorola and that they haven't put any newer designs out on the market in recent years and also the fact that most of the news about C-band dishes are only those who are deactivating their dishes and switching to DBS. I know that if the MPEG-4 technology did take hold on C-band, there would have to be newer receivers made at the consumer level. Since the numbers of subscribers are only decreasing rapidly without slowing down, do you think Motorola would even go to the trouble of producing a 4DTV receiver with the capability to decode MPEG-4? I know the current design of 4DTV is outdated now because of the fact that you have to buy an HDTV decoder separately for the 4DTV receivers to get that programming available to see, when instead a person could subscribe to DirectTV, Dish Network, or Voom and have HDTV decoding already built-in to their receivers without needing the addition of a big decoder box stacked on top of it. I think more and more people are seeing this as a viable solution instead of shelling out $600.00 or more for two boxes in order to see all of the content they want to see.

It is not required as much on the big dish system since they are already made to move from satellite slot to satellite slot. All one would have to do is just move the dish around more to get those channels. If they did have an issue with space they may have to though.

How much is C band?

tdti1 said:
You can't tell the future, but for now big dish is still the best system around.
We can wait and see.

As one of the soon to be ex Voomers who does not want to go back to Directv nor to Dish nor to Cable, I wanted to know how much is C band installation, how much does it cost per month and how much HD content can one pull in? Thanks and pardon my total ignorance of C-band!
Wayne

The picture quality is better than any system out there SD/HD, I would not get a "NEW" system, its far to pricey, look around for a used 10' 12' dish, in good shape, with small mesh holes, and see if you can get it free, I have like 5 dishes I got in my yard I got for free, or for $20, after you get the dish, I would pop it up myself, but if you want it done right contact anyone here:
http://onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=ed2db77976230883c698abc8cb596297
Maybe even contact one, hope one is near you and ask if they have a used dish or no of one they can get you. Good Luck dish hunting :)

For HD it is as follows:
FTA:
Wealth TV
NETV PBS HDTV

Sub:
Showtime west
HBO east/west
Straz east/west
Discovery
Encore HD east and west, left I think it will be back though.

We may get more HD but not the Master feed like these ones, it would most probably come from HITS.

You can get a 4dtv from NPS or skyvision, for a good deal, I would call skyvision and ask for a 4dtv and a HDD 200 they will hook you up good on those, at this moment.

Wayne88 said:
Thanks a lot for your help!
Wayne

Not a problem, I hope you can join us over here in the big dish world, and we didn't even talk about DVB :) good luck! Oh make sure if you get a bud to get c/ku, if its used and only has C-band it would be good to get a dual band feed. and LNB's. You will also need a VCRS or VCII+ board those can be found cheap on ebay, or from a dealer of the list.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts