Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.advancedimagingpro.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=3&id=749

http://www.modulusvideo.com/

http://modulusvideo.com/main.php?action=item&Page=22&id=34

News Room
14 Apr 2005

Modulus Video Delivers Highest Quality Video in Lowest Bandwidth with MPEG-4 AVC

Award-Winning Technology Demonstrations Have Evolved Into High Performance AVC Products and Global Partnerships that Meet DTV Expansion Needs of Satellite, Telco, Cable and IPTV

SUNNYVALE, Calif. April 14, 2005 – Modulus Video, Inc. enables satellite, telco and cable providers to expand digital television services and create IP-based video delivery services with MPEG-4 AVC encoding systems that deliver the highest quality video using the least possible bandwidth. A strong year of global expansion, increased funding, and extensive product development has led to the National Association of Broadcasters convention 2005 where Modulus offers attendees irrefutable evidence of the power and immediacy of AVC at its booth, SU9636.

Modulus has been selected for demonstrations throughout the NAB show floor by world class partners, like Motorola, who have recognized the performance advantages of Modulus AVC products (see Motorola and Modulus Video Form Broad Alliance to Supply SD and HD MPEG-4 AVC Encoding Solutions, announced April 13, 2005). Attendees will see examples of customer applications that leverage the shipping Modulus ME1000 and MD1000 standard definition systems and the recently announced real-time, full resolution high definition (HD) ME6000 encoder.

“Modulus has advanced far beyond last year’s award winning technology demonstration and is now delivering state of the art systems that offer the best broadcast-quality video in the least bandwidth,” said Bob Wilson, CEO and chairman of Modulus Video. “With marquee customers, global partners like Motorola, and OEM implementations all driven by our best quality video, low-bandwidth SD and HD systems, the Modulus booth offers a unique opportunity to explore why MPEG-4 AVC is the solution of choice for expanding DTV broadcast services and IPTV delivery models.”

Launch of the Most Powerful MPEG-4 AVC Real-Time HD Encoder

Headlining the Modulus product display is the ME6000, the most powerful HD MPEG-4 AVC encoding platform (see Modulus Video Announces Powerful Real-Time, Full Resolution High Definition MPEG-4 AVC Encoder, announced March 2, 2005). The ME6000 provides high quality full resolution HD video using low bit-rates -- around half the bit rate of existing MPEG-2 systems. This enables the ME6000 to deliver twice as many channels over the existing MPEG-2 infrastructure, while retaining the impressive image characteristics expected of HD video.

Launch of Best in Class Video Pre-Processing

Satellite, telco and IPTV broadcast must meet the high quality demands of consumers within very narrow bandwidth constraints. To further improve picture quality and reduce delivery bandwidth requirements, Modulus is debuting its new video pre-processing (VPP) option for its ME1000 standard definition encoder (see Modulus Video Further Reduces Bandwidth Demands with MPEG-4 AVC Video Pre-Processing Option, announced April 5, 2005). VPP incorporates state of the art motion compensated temporal filtering (MCTF) technology that is recognized as the best and most effective way to remove noise from video, providing the encoder with pristine video.

Partnerships & Alliances

The confluence of open designs, a world-class engineering team, and a drive to innovate the development of AVC technology has made Modulus a highly desired partner in all sectors of the broadcast industry. Modulus has partnerships with leading global and regional vendors. Demonstrations on the NAB show floor include:

· Motorola is featuring the entire Modulus line of SD and HD MPEG-4 AVC products which it offers with its new digital video head-end solutions (Booth SU7133).

· Path 1 Network Technologies, Inc., partners with Modulus to offer the first complete solution delivering reliable broadcast-quality MPEG-4 AVC video over IP networks with guaranteed quality of service (Booth SU11533).

· AMD is exhibiting Modulus real-time HD decoding technology as a high performance demonstration of its Opteron processors running on an HP server platform. (Booth SL2543).

· Crawford Communications is showcasing Modulus encoders as part of its next generation network operations services for broadcasters (Booth MM133).

· LSI Logic is working with Modulus HD and SD encoders to demonstrate its latest video technologies (Booth SL4101).

· Microwave Radio Corporation is working with Modulus to deliver a new line of microwave video transport systems studio-to-transmitter links, electronic news gathering (ENG), international outside broadcast operations, inter-city relays, satellite backhauls, and regional networks (Booth C3006).

· SES Americom is using the Modulus MD1000 Decoder to show live SD video from a satellite feed (Booth C5245).

· Terayon partners with Modulus to mux MPEG-4 AVC within MPEG-2 transport streams to provide best of class standards based splicing of compressed streams for ad-insertion (Booth SU11316).

· Set top boxes from the world’s leading manufacturers including Motorola, Thomson and Sentivision are working with Modulus products.

· Chip manufacturers including Texas Instruments are working directly with Modulus in the development of MPEG-4 chip sets.

· Modulus is joining more than 45 other companies as part of the AVC Alliance with a real-time HD decoding demonstration in booth SL4101.

Presentations

Modulus Video’s executives are industry veterans with long histories of encoding innovation. CEO Bob Wilson will participate in panel discussions given by the MPEG Industry Forum on Sunday April 17, including “Next Generation Video and Audio – Content Creation” at 2pm and “The Video Ecosystem” at 4:15pm. Director of Product Marketing Neil Brydon will present “Delivering a Real Time HD AVC Platform,” in the Leading Edge Technologies session, April 19, 2005 at 1:30pm.

About Modulus Video, Inc.
Modulus Video, Inc. is a provider of next-generation HD and SD video compression solutions for digital television based on the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264 / MPEG-4.10) standard. Its products include encoders and professional decoders targeted at the broadcast, narrowcast and video-on-demand markets. Each product provides significantly greater efficiency over legacy MPEG-2 systems, while working seamlessly within that existing transport infrastructure. Modulus provides long-term, cost-effective solutions for meeting the increased demand for bandwidth in market segments including: contribution / distribution; digital television delivered via satellite, cable, terrestrial, or IPTV, and enterprise networks. Modulus is based in Sunnyvale, California, and was founded in 2002. For more information, please visit www.modulusvideo.com.

"...MPEG-4 AVC encoding systems that deliver the highest quality video using the least possible bandwidth."

That part of the sentence tells me that you will never see it in any equipment designed by Echostar. Highest quality=too expensive!

Yeah sorry should have posted some where else. Just posted here due to all the MPEG4 talk is all. SES AMERICOM is metions which the AMC 15 and 16 went through but will post in the in the other area next time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Good info, but I dont see any mention of Dish or DirecTV mentions in here (uness I missed it) ;)
Both of them are currently looking to use Broadcom's chips.

One thing that bothers me is that terrestrial DTV uses MPEG2, which pretty much means in this age of multicasting DTV stations, low quality HD, or HD-Lite.

Now, someone once said the "good thing" about the ATSC was that it allowed the broadcasters to use other compression codecs for the subchannels (the main subchannel, .01 <or -01 since we're in the Dish Forum> has to be MPEG2).

This way, it's "possible" that your local DTV station could use MPEG2 to put up a 4:3 or 16:9 ED signal on xx.01, and use MPEG4 (or WMV) to provide a higher quality 720p or 1080i HD signal on xx.02, while still having some bits left over for one or two 4:3 ED subchannels in MPEG4.

The downside? We'd have to throw away all our current ATSC receivers. :eek: (And you thought the DVI/HDMI battle was bad!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)