MPEG-4 receivers only to activate HD programming starting Feb. 1st

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Starting Feb. 1st only MPEG-4 receivers will be allowed in order to get HD programming activated.

What in the world does that mean ? It sounds like activation of HD programming for new customers, I think. I can't possibly be that every HD receiver will no longer get HD programming on February 1, correct ?

Lucky said:
What in the world does that mean ? It sounds like activation of HD programming for new customers, I think. I can't possibly be that every HD receiver will no longer get HD programming on February 1, correct ?
Right. But, this is the first step in eliminating all MPEG-2 receivers down the road.

The 921 has already lost a LOT of value since it has been released and has just lost value again. I got another thread on the price drop of the 921 down to $349 now retail (retailer gets it less than that so expect it to be even cheaper). Used ones will probably be had for cheaper. Thats the same price as the 522 and 625 retail.

921s must be activated by Feb 1

For all of you who want to get the 921s at the bargain basement price, they must be activated by Feb 1. I really don't get what the point of this is. Why make a receiver obsolete sooner than it has to be? There will be millions of people who won't have any MPEG-4 programming available to them anyways.

I take this as a hopeful sign that we might be getting our bug-ridden 921's swapped out sooner rather then later.

The sooner E* can get these boxes out of peoples houses, the sooner they can shut down support and software development for a box that has never worked reliably and has very few units in the field.

Considering it's reliability, the 921's biggest value will hopefully be as a upgrade trade-in.

David_Levin said:
I take this as a hopeful sign that we might be getting our bug-ridden 921's swapped out sooner rather then later.

The sooner E* can get these boxes out of peoples houses, the sooner they can shut down support and software development for a box that has never worked reliably and has very few units in the field.

Considering it's reliability, the 921's biggest value will hopefully be as a upgrade trade-in.

Amen brother.

That is the only reason I haven't thrown my 921 out of my window.

Stargazer-
Should we start a countdown now as to when you'll change your sig line (CLICK HERE FOR DISH DVR 5XX / 721 / 921 FEATURE IDEAS AND INFO WEBSITE)? The end is near!
;)

So basically they just killed any resale value my $1000 921 has?

Oh man, I'm a reasonable guy, but they better communicate their upgrade path soon or it will get nasty around here....

At least I got 2 years use out of it (hmm, that's an extra $42 a month for those doing the math),... I'd be cranky if I got one 6 months ago and it became obsolete already....

Don't you think it will still receive everything you receive today, for another 2-3 years? It just won't get new stuff. And yes, when they start converting the current channels over to MPEG-4, isn't it reasonable to expect they will have an upgrade plan then? There won't be a NEED for an upgrade plan until then.

BobMurdoch said:
So basically they just killed any resale value my $1000 921 has?
Oh man, I'm a reasonable guy, but they better communicate their upgrade path soon or it will get nasty around here....
At least I got 2 years use out of it (hmm, that's an extra $42 a month for those doing the math),... I'd be cranky if I got one 6 months ago and it became obsolete already....
I'll wait until they come down to $50 or so, and use one for an OTA HD recorder. :)

maybe I am reading "MPEG-4 receivers only to activate HD programming starting Feb. 1st" wrong. To me it seems that Dish will not enable the HD programming if you only have an mpeg 2 receiver. but you should be able to add an mpeg 2 receiver to your account if you already have HD programming, right?

mdonnelly:
So the 921 can exist as a stand alone, unactivated receiver, unknown to DISH (not listed on my E* account), with no satellite connection, just an OTA antenna, and record OTA HD? Sorta like the old Voom boxes? I didn't know it could do that. I'd think that would keep the rock bottom price no lower than $100. How does that work? Would you enter the start and stop times and channel number, like on a VCR?

navychop said:
mdonnelly:
So the 921 can exist as a stand alone, unactivated receiver, unknown to DISH (not listed on my E* account), with no satellite connection, just an OTA antenna, and record OTA HD? Sorta like the old Voom boxes? I didn't know it could do that. I'd think that would keep the rock bottom price no lower than $100. How does that work? Would you enter the start and stop times and channel number, like on a VCR?
No, I assume that it would still need a Dish satellite input. That would limit the usefullness to the general public.

But, I do get the Dish locals, for my SD sets. So, I would program the 921 from the guide, and use one of the component inputs on my HD set for the 921, and the other for my 811, or whatever MPEG-4 receiver I end up with.

Realistic? Well maybe not. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts