MPEG-4 receivers only to activate HD programming starting Feb. 1st

It will still be some more time until all of them will be eliminated but will require a total revamp of the site. It really needs a revamp now. I have not changed some of the info on the site for a while so it does need some updating.

You will be able to receive the MPEG-2 HD channels that you receive today on your current MPEG-2 HD receivers.

The MPEG-4 HD receiver is required for those that want to activate ANY HD programming after Feb. 1st whether it will be MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

If you want MPEG-4 programming you must get an MPEG-4 receiver or wait for a swap out as the MPEG-2 receivers can only receiver MPEG-2 programming.

Stargazer said:
Starting Feb. 1st only MPEG-4 receivers will be allowed in order to get HD programming activated.

So basically what you're saying is that DISH will only activate 411/211/622's when you want HD from 2/1/06 on out? So if you have a used 811/921, you should activate them before 2/1/06 AND order HD programming or otherwise you can only watch SD. And once you turn off your HD programming on MPEG2 HD receivers, you can't put HD programming back on them if I'm deducing this correctly.

This could also be interesting for the EBAY market of these older receivers. Sounds as if the market will go to zero if people cannot activate them. It may be time to unload now.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
So basically what you're saying is that DISH will only activate 411/211/622's when you want HD from 2/1/06 on out? So if you have a used 811/921, you should activate them before 2/1/06 AND order HD programming or otherwise you can only watch SD. And once you turn off your HD programming on MPEG2 HD receivers, you can't put HD programming back on them if I'm deducing this correctly.
It might be that all new HD channels added after 2/1/06 will be in MPEG-4, but you will be able to activate a 6000, 811, 921, or 942 after 2/1/06 and receive any MPEG2 SD or HD programming that is available.

lakebum431 said:
This could also be interesting for the EBAY market of these older receivers. Sounds as if the market will go to zero if people cannot activate them. It may be time to unload now.

Yea, man!

I think the reasoning behind this is to circumvent what went through my mind when I first heard this. Reduce my E* programming to near zilch (In my case 1 721), wait for the "upgrade" deal, put my 921 and 942 back on my account, get two brand new 622's, cancel Dish, sell the 622's on fleabay and then off to D*. That way they are guarnteed an "audience" of loyal customers for the "upgade" when/if it comes.

Alternately, I just e-mailed my "Authorized Dish Retailer" and asked him for a refund for the 942 I activated on 12/13/05 (Nice timing, huh!).

Of course if I don't get a refund, I think I'll sell it on ebay...

I think my add will read...

DISH 942 FOR SALE TO A SUCKER--READ THIS

JohnC said:
It might be that all new HD channels added after 2/1/06 will be in MPEG-4, but you will be able to activate a 6000, 811, 921, or 942 after 2/1/06 and receive any MPEG2 SD or HD programming that is available.
This seems reasonable. Are you sure there isn't some misunderstanding somewhere Stargazer? What exactly did your source tell you? Any details about upgrades for 921/942 owners that don't want to loose 100% of the value of their investments?

They are going to reimburse the retailers in the following manner starting in February: 811 and 311 reimburses the same, 942 and 625 reimburses the same. Retailers will be trying to get rid of whatever stock that they have. Whatever is left over the retailers could substitue the 311 with an 811 if they cannot get more than $99 on ebay for them (what the 311 retails for) or substitue the 625 for a 942 if they cannot get close to $350 for it (close to what the 625 retails for). I notice that the 625 and 522 receivers only bring about $175-225 on ebay but the 942 would have more hard drive storage and that OTA HD tuner so it would carry a premium. This is sure to drive the prices down though particularly on the used ones.

This is 100% NOT ACCURATE.

I spoke to someone tonight from Dish and he said their feeling is if people want to give Dish their money then Dish is happy to take it.

Someday down the road however when they start shutting down the MPEG2 channels this may be the case, but that has not happened yet and is not planed for a long time.

There are two different issues here.

1) Will Dish only activate MPEG4 compatable receivers after 2/1/06?

2) Will 6000/921/942 receivers have any reduced functionality after 2/1/06, besides not being able to be activated on a new HD account?

Dish could well implement 1) while continuing to offer all national HD channels in MPEG2 for another 2 years. They could do so now in order to significantly reduce the number of units that would have to be swapped out in 2 years when MPEG2 HD is discontinued. It would be a smart move to start the swap now.

Alternatively, Dish could discontinue their own placements of MPEG2 receivers, replacing all defective/returned units with MPEG4 receivers and selling only MPEG4 receivers, while allowing the secondary market to continue to sell & activate 921s and 942s for a while longer. This would still make progress toward their end goal, while not devaluing their customers' equipment as badly.

I think that the restriction is ONLY on NEW ACCOUNTS.

In other words, we're being tld to NOT put any more MPEG-2 boxes into the field.

I do NOT think it has ANYTHING to do with activating or using existing MPEG-2 boxes.

They could be restricting it to new account activations only. If they do this and not affect existing accounts this would allow us to get some HD receivers on the cheap and still be able to use them for MPEG-2 HD until we can get them swapped for MPEG-4 receivers. I hope that is what they do. I don't see why they would turn down people that want to purchase the MPEG-2 HD programming if they have the hardware in hand to do so.

The Facts Blasts did not state for new accounts only but this could have been what they meant trying to get MPEG-4 receivers in the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)