MPEG 4 Receivers

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
Charlie was talking about no new HD content until it is put up in MPEG 4. Any mention of what receivers will be used? What am I gonna do with my 921? I guess it will be just a boat anchor then. I know there has been some talk about this previously but was just wondering if anyone has anything new.

HOPEFULLY, and that is a big hopefully, Dish will offer some sort of discount to the owners of the 6000, 811, 921, & 942 since none of them are upgradable to MPEG4.

If not then I will have to look for other options.

DISH has never been very good at upgrade options for existing customers. Until they actually discontinued the 6000 we paid through the nose to upgrade that receiver to stay current to DISH's changes. After it was discontinued they dropped the price drastically, of course by the time they discontinued the 6000 it had been out of production for a year and they were just dumping their existing inventory.

I have a 921 and a 6000, both of which would supposedly be upgraded to MPEG-4 receivers when the time comes. My biggest fear is that the new receivers won't have OTA capability - why would they if E* is trying to market LIL HD? If that is the case, I'll have to decide whether to (1) Upgrade to MPEG-4 and buy stand-alone OTA tuners, (2) Upgrade to MPEG-4 at full price and keep my 6000 and 921 for OTA, or (3) Choose another provider. At any rate, these old receivers won't be "boat anchors" anytime soon, as they will certainly be fine for OTA, SD, and whatever HD channels we already have for a (relatively) long time.

Brad

I think mpeg4 is a couple years away, there is no hardware announced, perhaps on the drawing board, there are probably a variety of things that need to be done and installed before they can even uplink mpeg4 streams.

I would assume as well that they will provide some path to get there when the time comes, but I wouldn't expect anything until almost 2007 if I had to guess and by that time you'll be ready to upgrade again anyway... it would be almost 2 years old...

charlie says by the end of the year they should have some mpeg4 channels. you are probably right saying it is a few years off with charlies track record.

Bradtothebone said:
I have a 921 and a 6000, both of which would supposedly be upgraded to MPEG-4 receivers when the time comes.

...not sure where you're hearing that. As of what's known, NO E* receivers currently on the market are upgradeable

hancox said:
...not sure where you're hearing that. As of what's known, NO E* receivers currently on the market are upgradeable

Sorry, maybe that wasn't clear enough. :rolleyes:

What I meant was that E* would probably have some kind of exchange deal for new MPEG-4 receivers that would cover the 921 and 6000 (as well as 811 and 942).

Brad

Everone is always trying to "guess" what they are going to do, and then they decide to wait and see what happens. In this type of industry, there is very little sense in waiting. If you see something you like, go for it. If you get burned by their next big thing, file a complaint with the company and then the BBB. Technically, the customers are supposed to have a say over what happens by their either buying or not buying. However, with Wall Streets' stupidity now adays, they are more interesting in appeasing their shareholders than taking care of business.

Spoke to dish today. All current HD receivers, 811, 921, 942 will work with the upcoming mp4 technology. :yes :yes :yes

Might want to call again and ask for someone who is not taking drugs.

Even Charlie himself said that this was not possible on the Charlie Chat.

specsmaker said:
Spoke to dish today. All current HD receivers, 811, 921, 942 will work with the upcoming mp4 technology. :yes :yes :yes

The CSR you spoke to was on crack.

It has been well documented by Dish management that no Dish receiver will be upgradable to MPEG4.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Might want to call again and ask for someone who is not taking drugs.

Even Charlie himself said that this was not possible on the Charlie Chat.

I agree with Scott...the CSR was talking out of some drug-induced hallucination or flat-out lying to retain a customer.

The hardware isn't software upgradeable and they sure as heck aren't going to send out an upgrade kit with instructions on where to solder. ;)

We'll just have to wait and see what they eventually come up with...

LOL, Upgradable with new electronics kit they send you and you put inside the case. Then attach an MPEG4 stick and WAM !!!

Actually, it'll be a decal kit where the user can attach a MP4 decal over the original MP3 painted on the unit. It's similar to adding a Koni, Flowmaster, Summit, or Vortec decal on a Honda and taking a second off the quarter mile time while adding 5 hp per decal.

;) I promise you'll notice the difference in performance. Rice rice baby!

sprintcarcrazy said:
LOL, Upgradable with new electronics kit they send you and you put inside the case. Then attach an MPEG4 stick and WAM !!!

Actually, that's exactly what Voom's STB's were going to be. There was an expansion slot solely intended for an MPEG4 module upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts