MPEG 4 Upgrade.. Free with committment .. Questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
I called customer retention today, as they are the only ones I deal with. I called because our Toshiba DST 3000 is starting to go. I wanted a replacement and I was trying to get it for free. The lady told me, "You're one of our great customers" before I even asked for anything which made me feel good.

When we got down to business, she told me she could swap out my receiver with a new one since I have "inferior" technology and give me a "5LNB" receiver as she called it and the d ish. I explained to her my concerns about the dish (size, people not knowing how to install it, especially here in the northeast where it's cold/snowy, etc etc) and she said if you do not want the dish you do not have to take it and he'll just put the receiver in. She said she could mail me a refurbished receiver, or a tech can bring a new one. I'd rather a new one so that's what's coming. This is all happening with 0 coming out of my pocket (no rebate to mail in, etc etc)

I have some questions before I decide to throw the dish up there:

1) How long will it take the guy to install it?

2) I heard you can not use a diplexer on the line? One of my lines is diplexed with a cable signal for my cable modem/phone service is running through it. In other words, I can't do without the diplexer. Don't give me "get DSL" DSL is inferior by far.

3) If a diplexer is not OK, how hard will it be to run coax up to my office, INSIDE THE HOUSE IN THE WALL? Will he charge? They did ask if I wanted 1 box moved in my house free of charge, and I said no. I could say yes and see what they do.

4) Will he put a 6X8 multiswitch in even if I only have 4 lines? I figure this would be nice for the upgrade to DVR once it comes out.

aec4 said:
I called customer retention today, as they are the only ones I deal with. I called because our Toshiba DST 3000 is starting to go. I wanted a replacement and I was trying to get it for free. The lady told me, "You're one of our great customers" before I even asked for anything which made me feel good.
When we got down to business, she told me she could swap out my receiver with a new one since I have "inferior" technology and give me a "5LNB" receiver as she called it and the d ish. I explained to her my concerns about the dish (size, people not knowing how to install it, especially here in the northeast where it's cold/snowy, etc etc) and she said if you do not want the dish you do not have to take it and he'll just put the receiver in. She said she could mail me a refurbished receiver, or a tech can bring a new one. I'd rather a new one so that's what's coming. This is all happening with 0 coming out of my pocket (no rebate to mail in, etc etc)
I have some questions before I decide to throw the dish up there:
1) How long will it take the guy to install it?
2) I heard you can not use a diplexer on the line? One of my lines is diplexed with a cable signal for my cable modem/phone service is running through it. In other words, I can't do without the diplexer. Don't give me "get DSL" DSL is inferior by far.
3) If a diplexer is not OK, how hard will it be to run coax up to my office, INSIDE THE HOUSE IN THE WALL? Will he charge? They did ask if I wanted 1 box moved in my house free of charge, and I said no. I could say yes and see what they do.
4) Will he put a 6X8 multiswitch in even if I only have 4 lines? I figure this would be nice for the upgrade to DVR once it comes out.

Would you want someone to take a daily crap on your sidewalk if it was free with a 2 year commitment?

I know I wouldnt :)

And I definately wouldnt commit to D's* glitch of an MPEG-4 system (even if they were the ones paying me)..

Last edited:
guffy1 said:
Would you want someone to take a daily crap on your sidewalk if it was free with a 2 year commitment?
I know I wouldnt :)
And I definately wouldnt commit to D's* glitch of an MPEG-4 system (even if they were the ones paying me)..
I don't get it... I can just get the receiver, and no mpeg 4 dish if I want, which I need, since my 4+ yr old receiver is starting to go.

aec4 said:
I don't get it... I can just get the receiver, and no mpeg 4 dish if I want, which I need, since my 4+ yr old receiver is starting to go.

I just think the 2 year commitment program they have going is absurd..

Instead of taking customers hostage in order to retain them, they should try providing a quality product, or providing their customers with high quality customer service..

Instead they provide the worst of both worlds and expect people to sign a commitment on top of it..

It just dosent seem like a very customer friendly program to me..But thats just me I guess..

Last edited:
guffy1 said:
I just think the 2 year commitment program they have going is absurd..
Instead of taking customers hostage in order to retain them, they should try providing a quality product, or providing their customers with high quality customer service..
Instead they provide the worst of both worlds and expect people to sign a commitment on top of it..
It just dosent seem like a very customer friendly program to me..But thats just me I guess..
Lady told me if you want out of the commitment all you need to do is return the HD Receiver and they do not charge you the penalty.

Basically, they are protecting their investment by giving you a $200 receiver. In other words, they are keeping me from getting the receiver, dropping D* after 1 month, and then selling the receiver to someone else. No problems with that. Once she told me I could return the receiver if I want out of the contract and all was cool, that seemed fairly reasonable.

aec4 said:
Lady told me if you want out of the commitment all you need to do is return the HD Receiver and they do not charge you the penalty.
Basically, they are protecting their investment by giving you a $200 receiver. In other words, they are keeping me from getting the receiver, dropping D* after 1 month, and then selling the receiver to someone else. No problems with that. Once she told me I could return the receiver if I want out of the contract and all was cool, that seemed fairly reasonable.

That does sound reasonable if thats the case...

Anyone else ever heard of this?

In all my reading I have not seen or heard about this..

Until 2/28/2006 the standard contract states the committment can be terminated if you send your DTV equipment back to them.

Check your actual agreement.

ADent said:
Until 2/28/2006 the standard contract states the committment can be terminated if you send your DTV equipment back to them.

Check your actual agreement.
She told me it would be fine if I sent it back after a year.. as long as they got their box back.. Basically, they "own" the box until the 2 yr point, where they figure the 2 yrs of service fees covered the cost.

aec4 said:
I called customer retention today, as they are the only ones I deal with...
I'm in a similar situation. I have an old series 1 D*Tivo with a lifetime Tivo subscription, so I don't ever want to give that up. I want to move that into the bedroom for my old SDTV and add a new HD Tivo for the new HDTV I just bought.

I have the original dish from ~9 years ago and I guess I'll get the new 5LNB dish.
I hate to shell out ~$600 (before rebate) for an HR10-250 and another ~$100 for the 5LNB dish.

Having been a customer for 9-10 years, could a call to customer retention help me avoid shelling out $700 to upgrade? Are they going to try to talk me out of my lifetime subscription Tivo in the process?

Finally, what do you do, just call D* and ask for customer retention or is there an extension we can dial to get them. I've never been retented before!

I just read over the install guide for the 5LNB Dish and the HR10-250 is not capable of receving the MPEG 4 streams (Which would be local HD Channels). You can still use the HR10-250 to pull your standard HD stuff HBO's, MAX, etc. And not to futher add insult to injury HR10-250 is the only Tivo branded reciever you can still get since Directv sold all their stock in Tivo and started a DVR service of their own. Which means in an exucated guess that with-in the next two years at most DirecTV will want to replace or remove service for the Tivo branded units. So IMHO if you are not going to get a H20 receiver (the only IRD capable to receive MPEG 4 ATM) you might want to hold off on such a huge investment on both the HR10-250 and the 5LNB dish or throw caution to the wind and go full bore and be prepared for the future. And btw DirecTV/Tivo units do not have the lifetime sub anymore it comes at a cost of I belive 4.99-5.99 monthly unless you have the Total Choice Premire then they give you a break on the DVR service.

bizmarke said:
...And btw DirecTV/Tivo units do not have the lifetime sub anymore it comes at a cost of I belive 4.99-5.99 monthly unless you have the Total Choice Premire then they give you a break on the DVR service.
Not sure if you're referring to me, or others who don't already have a lifetime sub. But I do in fact have it. Here's how my latest statement reads:

Subscriptions For Receiver: 608-XXXXXX
12/11/05 01/10/06 NFL Sunday Ticket 2005 Regular Season in 4 Pay 59.75
01/04/06 02/03/06 HBO and CINEMAX Monthly 23.00
01/04/06 02/03/06 TOTAL CHOICE Monthly 41.99
01/04/06 02/03/06 DIRECTV DVR Service Fee Lifetime 0.00 :up
Pay Per View
01/04/06 March of the Penguins (LB 3.99
Subscriptions For Receiver: 608-XXXXXXX
01/05/06 Additional Receiver 4.99
AMOUNT DUE $133.72

I meant on equipment SOLD before 2/28/06 (not that you have until 2/28 to turn in your equipment).

It looks like they are switching to a LEASE model on 3/1 and there is talk of the committment then being a pro-rated early termination fee, in addition to sending in the leased DirecTV equipement. This most likely will not apply to people owning all their equipment.

carvemeister said:
Not sure if you're referring to me, or others who don't already have a lifetime sub. But I do in fact have it. Here's how my latest statement reads:
Subscriptions For Receiver: 608-XXXXXX
12/11/05 01/10/06 NFL Sunday Ticket 2005 Regular Season in 4 Pay 59.75
01/04/06 02/03/06 HBO and CINEMAX Monthly 23.00
01/04/06 02/03/06 TOTAL CHOICE Monthly 41.99
01/04/06 02/03/06 DIRECTV DVR Service Fee Lifetime 0.00 :up
Pay Per View
01/04/06 March of the Penguins (LB 3.99
Subscriptions For Receiver: 608-XXXXXXX
01/05/06 Additional Receiver 4.99
AMOUNT DUE $133.72

That because u activated your Tivo before directv decided not to support it

hdtvtechno said:
That because u activated your Tivo before directv decided not to support it

Not sure what you mean, but I paid $250 for the lifetime sub ~ 6 years ago, when I bought the D* Tivo unit (for next to noting). If I recall corectly I paid $250 total for the unit itself and the lifetime sub. It's been activated for 6 years or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)