Mpeg 4 vs Mpeg 2 SD

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Well I got a first had look at the Mpeg 4 Eastern Arc SD PQ , and Sadly to say , Its not different then Mpeg 2 IMO.
But the 1 dish solution is Fantastic, Look angles are great for Northeastern PA. Plus 3 receivers hook right up to the dish without any ugle expensive Muilti switches.
Its a really nice looking Satellite dish as well ,that a little smaller then a D* slimline. I love it and my Dish 500's are going to sleep now.

Are the SD MPEG4 channels at least the same as the MPEG2 channels? I think Scott mentioned that the SD MEPG4 channels were 480 x 480 just like Directv. SD MPEG2 channels are 544 x 480 on Dish Network, Western Arc.

I think we all feared that when they did decide to go with MPEG4 sd that they were just loading up channels to each transponder to make more room and not better pq. Sadly, it seems it is true.

Are the SD MPEG4 channels at least the same as the MPEG2 channels? I think Scott mentioned that the SD MEPG4 channels were 480 x 480 just like Directv. SD MPEG2 channels are 544 x 480 on Dish Network, Western Arc.

Hopefully with them being MPEG4 they at least look better than D*'s MPEG2 480x480. When I bought my 46" HDTV last year I was afraid of how the SD channels would look blown up so I made the store put an SD channel on their D* setup. (Which I didn't know was 480x480 then.) It looked like crap, but I decided to take a chance on it being bad calibration of the TV. I was amazed at how much better most of Dish's SD channels looked when I hooked it up. There are a few SD channels that still look like crap in 640x480 though, notably the Travel Channel, SciFi when it shows a dark program, and the local Fox and CW stations but I swear they must come out of the transmitter looking like crap because the cable company can't do any better with them.

I didn't say I hope they look better than Dish's MPEG2 channels, I said I hope they look better than DirecTV's.

I say they look exactly the same.

That's good news then because they can put more SD channels on one transponder and the quality didn't suffer.

That was my only complain with Directv when I had them, SD looked like crap back then and this was on a 27' and 19' TVs. Directv customers say they look better now though but at 480x480 I don't know.

That's good news then because they can put more SD channels on one transponder and the quality didn't suffer. .
It didn't hurt the PQ from what I see. But I'll keep you posted.
Also from what I've see so far Eastern Arc seems Stable. No Dropouts ,or any other PQ issues.(except WNEP HD Local network) so far. But I've only had the system for about 2 days.
Easy install, Seemed easier then D* slimline install. I would still advise using a satellite finder of some type. Much faster then trying to use the receiver.

WNEP-HD had a lot of breakup on cable the past few days. So I don't think that's the problem that other people are reporting with their HD locals via satellite recorded on their 622 and 722. Plus, they say it only happens on the recordings, not live.

My WNEP has been having Dropouts, Microblocking,and frozen pixels since it went live on E* before I had the 1000.4. Now I have the new dish and WnepHD is still a problem. As far as Recording problems I haven't any. This is live TV.

Does the MPEG-4 SD channels on 61.5 take up less storage space on the hard drive than the MPEG-2 SD channels on 110/119?

Does the MPEG-4 SD channels on 61.5 take up less storage space on the hard drive than the MPEG-2 SD channels on 110/119?

Yep. I just sent one of my new MPEG-4 SD recordings to my external hard drive.

MPEG-4:mad:300 MB (30 min.)
MPEG-2:mad:500 MB (30 min.)

So, it's about a 5:3 ratio.

Well thats just it SD is SD. More things get moved over to MPEG4 the better free some space up for more HD... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts