MPEG-4, When?

MNETOP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Austin, TX.
Has there it been any rumors or any indication on when is Dish is going to start the conversion to MPEG-4?

Thanks!

On Nov. 14th they will offically announce the mpeg4 plans. But if you want rumors the 411 may become available before the end of this year and the 962 by late spring of 06. I would expect some channels may become mpeg4 encoded early next year just don't know which channels they would be.

I know that his has been discussed in other threads, but I was wondering if anybody has any idea of what is going to happen to the newly leased 942 and 811. Will they be replaced by E* at no extra cost? Or, in the case of the 942, can these receivers be upgraded via software? :confused:

No receivers can be upgraded to MPEG-4 capability via a software download. MPEG-4 decoding is done at a hardware level in satellite boxes.

BTW: Nobody here knows what Dish's MPEG4 plans are. So any posts that you might read here or anywhere else will only be speculation.

Now with that said, expect this upgraded to like most past upgrades. Usually Dish will make the hardware available at a discounted price or free in exchange to a commitment of a 1 or 2, plus say a commit to the HD package also. The 411 receiver might be free, but the HD-DVR (ie 962) will definately require a upfront fee.

Also Dish seems to taking this new "lease" approach, so there could be a chance that none of us will "own" any MPEG4 receivers.

Channels. Dish likely will keep existing channels on MPEG2 for a while, but will only launch new HDTV channels with MPEG4. This will allow the new channels to an incentive for people to upgrade to MPEG4 hardware (The sooner/faster the better for E* since its more efficient). Also it will keep them from having to go through the pains of migrating those channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4 in the future.

Also Dish seems to taking this new "lease" approach, so there could be a chance that none of us will "own" any MPEG4 receivers.

I'm guessing you're right and it'll be a lease, probably because Dish gets all the money in a lease program, while I'm guessing they only see around 25% on retail boxes. Meaning, for a $400 (to the customer) sold receiver, they get $100, which amounts to 20 months of $5 rental. If they can get a 24 month commitment with a leasing fee of $5/month, they've made an extra $20. Meanwhile, it's a win for the customer, since they would've had to pay $400 (80 months of $5 lease) up front.

(I also pay an 'extra receiver above 1' fee... does that apply to you guys who own your own equipement? If not, then Dish makes off with another $5/month on top of the $5/month lease... and only need a 1 year commitment to get the amount of $ from a receiver as if it was sold.)

Judging by the 942 rollout, we'll probably have to pay a $250 premium to get Mpeg4-HD-DVR in 2006. :( Hopefully the non-DVR HD/SD replacement will be free.

Cable let me rent three (3) HD DVRs post VOOM DBS and prior to joining E*, and Verizon FiOS will let me rent a equal number. FiOS TV appears to offer the best quality and most HD out there...and at cheaper too! Comcast will soon take ownership of my local Adelphia office and Verizon FiOS will help drive down or hold down prices. As much as I like E*, if they don't provide me with 3 low-cost MPEG-4 HD DVR rentals or one incredible Whole Home Networking box, then it may be time to move on. Plus, I already paid a $250 HD DVR upgrade fee and I am certainly not going to pay it again for the 962 nor commit to another year of programming.

VOOM had their encoders and were testing MPEG-4 last fall. I'm not sure when E* is going to start MPEG-4, but tomorrow will not be soon enough.

:D
dimi1963 said:
I know that his has been discussed in other threads, but I was wondering if anybody has any idea of what is going to happen to the newly leased 942 and 811. Will they be replaced by E* at no extra cost? Or, in the case of the 942, can these receivers be upgraded via software? :confused:

We have a little bit of extra space in this thread. The floor is now open to rumor and innuendo :D

I am not unhappy with E* service---quite the opposite---but I do need to be realistic and point out that I will have other options available next spring/summer. Will they be any better? I don't know, but E*, D*, Cable and Verizon will all be competing for my video dollars. The provider who brings me the best and most HD, cheapest prices, most reliable service, and coolest low-cost video toys will earn my dollar. Plus, if they can bundle my broadband, telephone, wireless phone at a significant discount, that would be even better.

SBC may also have their IPTV service up and running by next spring. Just another option to keep prices down while getting better service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts