MPEG 4 Who is gonna pay for it

alex06

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Ok guys for what I have read E will be using MPEG 4 format on all the channels on the near future as they always do they start with the HD channels so we all know that 811 will be completely useless maybe after spring 07 even as of today we can use them as toys since E is no longer doing anything for the HD so again all the loyal subscribers who think they had the best receiver on the market now we have a big silver piece of sh÷÷÷t.

Now in order to get the new receiver we must lease one, or buy one, any two options we have to pay again more than usual to get our HD since once you see it theres no return to SD eventhough there isnt much out there, but what we currently have is good enough at the moment.

Now what will happen to the 20 million other SD receivers 301, 311, 322, 501, 508, 510. etc.. that uses MPEG 2 we the customers will again have to pay for the new receivers how E is planning to handle this ? Think of this if we lease we have to return our IRD to them even if you own the IRD once they got it they refurb it and sell it back for nothing to new customers NICE way of doing business dont you think ! and we loyal old customers got the big middle finger

I dont think it is fair to do this and I want to know how E is planning to swap all the MPEG 2 receivers anyone who share the same thought please reply to this post.

DISH 1000, 1 Vip 211 1, DVR 625.

PS I never return my irds I always buy them wishing one less ird E can use to refurb and sell back for 0 bucks to new comers under my hard worked earned bucks.

Last edited:
alex06 said:
Ok guys for what I have read E will be using MPEG 4 format on all the channels on the near future as they always do they start with the HD channels so we all know that 811 will be completely useless maybe after spring 07 even as of today we can use them as toys since E is no longer doing anything for the HD so again all the loyal subscribers who think they had the best receiver on the market now we have a big silver piece of sh÷÷÷t..

all that whining in ONE sentence!!!

It´s not whinning

Fredinva said:
all that whining in ONE sentence!!!

I am not whining there is a PERFECT HUGE EXAMPLE at the dishstore web page, when 211s and 411s came out the price was $369.00 and the 622 $649.00 now visit the page and check out the prices. WE OLD LOYAL CUSTOMERS always get the BIG you know what.

I know there is someone who thinks the same way I do.

Last edited:
As far as anyone knows, there has been no timetable set for using MPEG4 for the SD channels. As these channels are already being transmitted in a relatively efficient manner, and don't consume a lot of bandwidth, this doesn't appear to be a high priority.

It is possible that all of the HD channels will be converted over to MPEG4 by sometime in 2007.

Dish and Directv will pay one way or another either by paying for the swapout or by losing their subscriber base. One way or another its going to cost a bundle unless they are waiting as we speak for the prices to drop as they currently are before doing a major swapout.

I am fine with new channels being mpeg4 but they should keep most of the existing HD channels mpeg2 for a couple years.

Because of the extra fees charged for an mpeg4 stb I will probably drop dish when they change rather than upgrade.

If I were an executive at Dishnetwork which I am not, I would be asking the board to sell the new required receivers to our customers at below our cost.
Some loss must be taken at Dishnetwork for the new changeover of equipment in order to retain and improve our customer base.
A long term outlook must be taken here.
All factors must be considered.

Jhon69 said:
That's why it makes total sense to lease.If and when it changes they will change
the receiver for the customer.

oh contrar!!

lease at $299, or buy at about $450 - I'll BUY, thank you!!
Hell, my first VCR was $1050, and VHS tapes were $16.99

Im beginning to think neither makes any sense. Pay 300 bucks for the honor of a to lease with a monthly fee? You have to joking. Buy? why so they can fund their mpeg4 upgrading so that they can make more money by adding more channels? Buy? so they can stick it to us again next year with another model?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dish is offering to both new and existing customers discounted rates on leased receivers and near cost on purchased receivers. If a dish 622, which retails today at $499 cost dish $400 to make, logistics and distribution mean it's sold at around cost or less for no commitment from the consumer. Leased at 299.99+free dish 1000+free install+logistics and distribution leaves Dish in a big hole hoping to maintain the customer base. The non DVR is down to 249.99 and $49 under the same scenarios. Both satellite providers need the space that MPEG4 can give and both will swap out all of their receivers over the next 3 to 4 years. They will do everything in their power to satisfy their customers needs and do the transition in the least painful manner. Churn is a part of the business and the companies will try to minimise it, but churn will happen, even if they paid the customers to use their service

alex06 said:
I am not whining there is a PERFECT HUGE EXAMPLE at the dishstore web page, when 211s and 411s came out the price was $369.00 and the 622 $649.00 now visit the page and check out the prices. WE OLD LOYAL CUSTOMERS always get the BIG you know what.

I know there is someone who thinks the same way I do.

Loyal or not, the last time I checked, businesses sold things, and customers paid for things:

Customer
Pronunciation: 'k&s-t&-m&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English custumer, from custume
1 : one that purchases a commodity or service

So, one way or another, us customers will pay for the equipment upgrades. Otherwise, Charlie and company have some explaining to do to shareholders.
Now, will that be in the form of a single hardware upgrade fee, or will the cost of the upgrade be extracted from us in the form of slightly higher monthly fees, or fewer new channels without a fee increase, etc... We don't know. Both sat providers have a strong incentive to upgrade to MPEG4 and a strong desire to avoid too much churn. How this will play out for the non-HD stuff is pure guesswork at the moment.
So, as my old man used to tell me: "quit yer whining", I'm pretty sure Dish's desire to minimize churn will lead them to provide a smooth upgrade path, when the time comes. Right now, just the pioneers are making the switch to MPEG4, and they always pay top dollar for the priveledge of being the 1st on the block with a new toy.

It's not "loyal" customers that get screwed, it's people who were scrambling to order on Day 1. And I was going to call them "stupid people", but I don't think they are stupid. Probably just rich, know what they want, and are willing to pay for it. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, DISH promised a $200 buyback for those that were willing to wait-what, 6 weeks? Yet plenty of people still jumped on the original lease. It was worth it for them. I waited. April rolled around, and my HD-LILs still weren't up. So I waited. Then the price dropped on the sale units. Now I'm weighing my options. I will probably buy.

If you don't want it, don't buy it! Don't lease it! It is up to you to decide what new services are worth. If another provider gives you a better deal, switch. If you don't want any of the new services, wait it out. Eventually, people WILL get FREE MPEG-4 machines. It will be a few years from now, when they want to switch all services over. At that point, the switchover will be in THEIR interest, so THEY have to pay. Right now it's only in OUR interest, so it's up to us to decide what it's worth to us.

Yes they are using the national HD as a carrot to get us to pay to switch. Nothing says you have to bite. But HD-LIL simply wont be possible on a wide basis without MPEG-4. They're not doing it to force you into buying new equipment. They don't make their money off equipment! They're doing it because they really have no choice.

I am so freakin sick of people whining that businesses want to make money. YES...that is why they exist. We're not talking about gouging here. They have a new product, and you have the option of buying it. That's how business works.

alex06 said:
Ok guys for what I have read E will be using MPEG 4 format on all the channels on the near future as they always do they start with the HD channels so we all know that 811 will be completely useless maybe after spring 07 even as of today we can use them as toys since E is no longer doing anything for the HD so again all the loyal subscribers who think they had the best receiver on the market now we have a big silver piece of sh÷÷÷t.

Now in order to get the new receiver we must lease one, or buy one, any two options we have to pay again more than usual to get our HD since once you see it theres no return to SD eventhough there isnt much out there, but what we currently have is good enough at the moment.

Now what will happen to the 20 million other SD receivers 301, 311, 322, 501, 508, 510. etc.. that uses MPEG 2 we the customers will again have to pay for the new receivers how E is planning to handle this ? Think of this if we lease we have to return our IRD to them even if you own the IRD once they got it they refurb it and sell it back for nothing to new customers NICE way of doing business dont you think ! and we loyal old customers got the big middle finger

I dont think it is fair to do this and I want to know how E is planning to swap all the MPEG 2 receivers anyone who share the same thought please reply to this post.

DISH 1000, 1 Vip 211 1, DVR 625.

PS I never return my irds I always buy them wishing one less ird E can use to refurb and sell back for 0 bucks to new comers under my hard worked earned bucks.

Should new customers get everything for free? Not in my book, should existing customers get everything for free regardless of how long they have been with the provider? Nope not in the least bit, you need money to run a company, to make a product, to sell a product, to have staff, to expand and continue to grow.

What bothers me is people that moan and groan about a company and extole onto others just how bad that company is yet the complainer is an active customer of the company inquestion. The most effective action that someone can take who is unsatisfied with a company is to not do business with that company anymore.

Honestly it does not hurt E in the least bit that you dont send back your ird's, thats one less unit that they have to take apart and repair and refub, one less credit to place on your account, one less box to ship and pay for a return shipping label as well.

If you think that E should give you a free upgrade then why not try this way of thinking down at the chevy dealer and see what the sales manager tells you about that one, and yes it is the same thing.

No Guarantee you will be here tomorrow! Enjoy today (if you can)
Right now the "007's" on VOOM are fantastic in PQ and some are nearly 40years old! Better now than then? You can't take money or anything else as far as I know with you when it's your time to go. Enjoy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts