MPEG 4 Who is gonna pay for it

I agree with alex06. I was customer when the 5000 w/mod solution was rolled out. I got that for nothing as a new customer but also had to purchase a standalone STB for $500 to make that work, and used that till it wasn't supported anymore. I dropped them refusing to purchase the 6000 system and waited for the 811. They had no option to lease at that time. I re-opened a new account under my wife's name with a new address. Therefore, getting a new 811 for nothing. Now I'm expected to pay an upgrade fee and lease fee for an Mpeg4 receiver or purchase again. If I had purchased the equipement required to get HD every time they upgraded, I'd have spent thousands. This will be the fourth system upgrade. Not anymore!
If they want to keep me, they are going to replace my owned 811 with an owned 211, free and clear, no lease!! The new channels for Mpeg4 are not worth it "IMHO" and Voom in HdLite, please!!!

kb7oeb said:
I am fine with new channels being mpeg4 but they should keep most of the existing HD channels mpeg2 for a couple years.

Because of the extra fees charged for an mpeg4 stb I will probably drop dish when they change rather than upgrade.

yep. i am watching verizon fios and other fiberoptic services closely. once the legislature clears the way for telephone companies to compete with satellite and cable, competition will drive prices down. California Assembly passed the bill 74-0 yesterday for example, that would help AT&T and Verizon to come. Fios has MTV HD and other HD channels and prices are competative. I may switch to them once they are back.

If it was as simple as buy a 211 and use it I probably would because I would like to get StarzHD. But you don't just have the cost of the receiver you also get stuck with extra service fees.

Van said:
If you think that E should give you a free upgrade then why not try this way of thinking down at the chevy dealer and see what the sales manager tells you about that one, and yes it is the same thing.

How on earth do you think it's the same thing? Dish is selling a service, Chevy isn't. You don't need the latest model of car to drive. The only similarity I see is that the auto industry's habit of producing a new model every year is stupid too :D

Jim S is also correct. Van's analogy should be, if the auto industry quit using gas as a fuel source, then my car would become obsolete. If they plan on cutting off Mpeg2 for HD, then replace my 811 for a 211 free and clear.

A lot of people have different point of views but for most people, the expense of getting HD is too much right now if they had to purchase or lease an expensive HD receiver. Most would shop around and if they have cable in their area offering it for only $5-10 extra a month they will go that route before going to Dish Network or Directv knowing that cable will eventually add more HD channels later on. Those that are really into the hobby or have a great interest in HD and have the money to do it are going to pay what they need to get the extra HD content.

Cable does not require a lot of expense upfront that is what is good about it.

jstorm42 said:
If they plan on cutting off Mpeg2 for HD, then replace my 811 for a 211 free and clear.

Uhh, they will when that happens. You're projecting too far ahead.

Do you people really not understand basic business principals?

Van's analogy absolutely makes sense. DISH hasn't changed the type of gas...they just came out with a car that runs BETTER on a new kind of gas. Unlike the auto industry, they WILL eventually give people free new cars when they stop making the old gas. But right now, they don't owe anyone anything. If you want the nice new stuff, you gotta pay.

I got the upgrade call and I would have upgraded had Dish had done it at no cost to me and let me keep the 942 as backup( to what I hear is a buggy 622).
Your right. You have helped me make a decision. I will wait to upgrade. Having owned my 942 for only 8 months, I am going to get my monies worth. I can wait a see what happens in the year. Maybe AT&T or Verizon will be in the business and there may be better offers out there. Maybe Dish will give me a better offer in the future. As for now, Dish does not have enough new HD channels that would be of interest.

The new things that we will see in the future and changes that will take place will most likely be things that we have and cannot think of right now. Just like ten years ago, would you have thought that we would have gotten this far with satellite? That DVR and HD would be around? Nobody even knew what DVR was, and most did not even hear about HD. Dish Network was just starting business.

Cable would be able to offer more channels through the internet with the additional bandwidth I would think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts