MPEG-4 will initially be MPEG-2!

They didnt want to do it because they felt many HD customers would be pissed if they had channels for a few months and then they disapeared and required a new receiver to view them

I will let you in on a little secrect... (Keep this in the pub...)

When the channels launch they launch them they WILL be in MPEG2 however only MPEG4 receivers will see them as they will have MPEG4 headers.

The reason for this is MPEG4 is NOT ready for primetime, I actually got them to show me realy MPEG4 yesterday and the motion was jumpy and blocky.

Scott Greczkowski said:
They didnt want to do it because they felt many HD customers would be pissed if they had channels for a few months and then they disapeared and required a new receiver to view them

When the channels launch they launch them they WILL be in MPEG2 however only MPEG4 receivers will see them as they will have MPEG4 headers.

The reason for this is MPEG4 is NOT ready for primetime, I actually got them to show me realy MPEG4 yesterday and the motion was jumpy and blocky.
Okay, now THAT pisses me off. The channels will be in MPEG-2, but hidden from MPEG-2 receivers because they want to push MPEG-4, but MPEG-4 isn't ready yet??? :eek: That is so wrong!

how far off do you think they are from everything being mpeg4. are we talking one year from now or many years for the full transfer of all channels to mpeg4.

Scott Greczkowski said:

This is so insanely wrong, it is almost beyond belief. I think I'm almost in shock over the events of the past week.

This is so un-charley like.. Why is he ignoring the potential cash stream from existing subs till they upgrade??

I can't believe how people bitch and moan for the transition to MPEG4 to begin, and then when it starts, they bitch and moan even more.

Come on guys, this is a change which is not trivial in scope. It has to start somewhere. What do you want first; A) the programming you can't watch because you don't have the right receiver, or B) the receiver which is capable of getting programming which is not out there?

Let's be realistic about this process. The change has to start somewhere and that somewhere is next month.

Well this was obvious to me. I told ya it's purely marketing. It's not saving them any bandwidth because they are still using MPEG2 and allocating the channels just the same. It's all pure Bullsh!t, I dunno why you didn't challenge them on this and just accepted it at the meeting, but whatever...

gpflepsen said:
I can't believe how people bitch and moan for the transition to MPEG4 to begin, and then when it starts, they bitch and moan even more.

Come on guys, this is a change which is not trivial in scope. It has to start somewhere. What do you want first; A) the programming you can't watch because you don't have the right receiver, or B) the receiver which is capable of getting programming which is not out there?

Let's be realistic about this process. The change has to start somewhere and that somewhere is next month.
read the post:rolleyes: mpeg 4 doesnt happen till 2007!!

juan said:
Why don't YOU try to read the post???

Scott said: "The timeline to turn off all MPEG2 HD channels is expected to be around March 2007."

That doesnt say ANYTHING at all about MPEG4 starting in March 2007.

juan said:
Yes, but the transition is happening now. Understand that? When the MPEG4 does come down from the sky, many will have the receiver in place to view it.
To make the whiners happy by enabling all current receivers for the new programming would only delay the whining until the MPEG4 switch is actually thrown. This is the incentive for getting MPEG4 receivers into use.
The transition is happening now, not next year. :rolleyes: :p It's kinda like the chicken-egg thing.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are not happy with some of the decisions that Charlie makes for E customers but I will stick with E because I feel that someone who is as passionate about Sat TV like Charlie is that in the long run we wlll all be better than those over at D and Murdock does not seem to take an active interest in his company

Scott Greczkowski said:
<snip>.....

I appreciate you releasing this info to us here in the Pub first Scott but take my advice and put it out in the Dish HD forum asap. This is far too significant to remain just here and you're setting yourself up for a whole lot of trouble.

It's probably the most horrendous, Bullsh!t, blatantly greedy-minded thing Dish has ever done and I can't believe it's for anything other than forcing us into whatever receiver upgrade they've got in mind .

We're need to be fighting this as a group and the sooner all the HD subs know the better.

Scott,
Just a quick follow up to my previous post. I know you're walking a tightrope of sorts here and I don't envy you but you're going to be called on to make some tough decisions and it's going to seem like no win either way. Good luck.

StevenD said:
Why don't YOU try to read the post???
Scott said: "The timeline to turn off all MPEG2 HD channels is expected to be around March 2007."
That doesnt say ANYTHING at all about MPEG4 starting in March 2007.

juan said:
Apparently, you are just too dense to understand what is going on.

Ah ha, so I did figure out their plan. I just didnt know they were THAT far behind on the mpeg4 technology. I assumed they just put them up in mpeg2 to make sure CES ran smoothly. Now it seems they are even worse off. Scott, who did you manage to convince to show you a real mpeg4 channel? :) Everyone I talked to was afraid to do so cuz they didnt want to lock up the receiver!

HokieEngineer said:
Everyone I talked to was afraid to do so cuz they didnt want to lock up the receiver!

...and some of you are jumping at the chance to be the first ones with the box...I can see the posts already...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)