MPEG artifacts fixed with Mpeg 4

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
MPEG artifacts fixed with Mpeg 4?

Just wondering if anyone knows if the (IMO) bad MPEG artifacts with the current Dish signal will be improved with the switch to MPEG 4? (I think that's what;s going to happen, right?).

I had D* for several years and can't say I ever really noticed any of these artifacts; now I see it on almost everything I watch, particularly in dark areas of solid color.

Oddly, I also see it in my OTA signals, which I never, ever saw before. It must be something in the 622. Is how the 622 handles the video going to change as well?

If not, I may have to call and say, "No thanks." Even my wife notices the artifacts-- and that's saying something!
--------

I just read that the Vip is already Mpeg 4. I guess that means this level of compression artifacting is as good as it gets? I hope not...

Last edited:
-------

I just read that the Vip is already Mpeg 4. I guess that means this level of compression artifacting is as good as it gets? I hope not...
Kind of in a hurry here and just wanted to address this part. VIP is MPEG4 capable. Only a few national HD channels on dish are MPEG4 right now. Most content is still MPEG2.

If he is seeing it on OTA, it has ZERO to do with mpeg2 or mpeg4.
Sounds like a bad hdmi cable (loose connection?) or bad Drive.
I'd do a hard boot just to see if it were software.

If he is seeing it on OTA, it has ZERO to do with mpeg2 or mpeg4.
Sounds like a bad hdmi cable (loose connection?) or bad Drive.
I'd do a hard boot just to see if it were software.

Nope, it's in the 622. Many, many people, including myself have complained about this problem. Who knows when they will get a clue about how to fix it. :confused:

Nope, it's in the 622. Many, many people, including myself have complained about this problem. Who knows when they will get a clue about how to fix it. :confused:

I did say "or bad drive", but it could be a lemon of a 622 with a good drive.
My point is if it is happening on OTA then it has NOTHING to do with how E* is encoding it.

I was thinking (and I don't know much about this) perhaps it is how the 622 is "recording" it? Isn't there some sort of compression that comes with saving it to the drive? I mean the box has to be doing "something" in order to record it, doesn't it?1

Last edited:
That's VERY interesting. So maybe it IS a bad HDMI connector (I've tried several cables) or something else. Someone said something about a hard boot? How is that done? I'll definitely give it a shot.

Any other ideas? The box seems to "work" well in general (other than when first installed a few restarts or something when it failed to get signal and then a show that only recorded the first 2 minutes).

Thanks for all the help!

That's VERY interesting. So maybe it IS a bad HDMI connector (I've tried several cables) or something else. Someone said something about a hard boot? How is that done? Any other ideas. The box seems to "work" well in general (other than a few restarts or something when it failed to get signal and then a show that obly recorded the first 2 minutes).

Thanks for all the help!

soft boot = hold down power until it restarts
hard boot = unplug for 30 seconds

I would try a component cable too.

My TV has a DVI connector. I had a similar problem then noticed that two of the slots were pinched too close together on the TV. It caused the cable pins to squeeze together. Realigned them (both on the TV and the Cable) very gently with a sewing pin. No problems since.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)