MPEG artifacts?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cybersonic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
I have finally completed the setup of my system, and have been watching FTA for a couple of days now. One thing I noticed is what I think are 'MPEG artifacts', i.e. with rapidly moving images I can see the image being updated in small square blocks of pixels. I didn't notice any of this when I set up my system with a 23" TV (PAL standard) next to the dish, but now that I'm on a 40" HDTV set (Sony 40XBR800, NTSC standard), it seems quite bad at times. Not all channels have it to the same degree, some hardly have any visible artifacts, but some are quite bad.
My question: is this due to the compression of the image information (which would explain why it's different between channels), the quality of the receiver (coship CDVB5300B - using the STi5518 chip like so many other receivers), the quality/length of the RG6 cable, reception quality, PAL vs. NTSC, or something else? As far as reception goes, I am typically between 95 and 98 on quality. My RG6 is quad cable, about 120ft. Or course I understand that watching signals of less then ideal quality on a big screen HDTV set is never good, but for the channel in question that I used to receive via Dish (BVN-TV) but that I now have through IA5, it's definitely worse now than it ever was on Dish.

Thx,
Chris.

Alot of it has to do with how much bandwidth the source is allowing...and also how many channels are on it

Dish Network can get 12 video per transponder...but there are artifacts on it

Some of the ones on IA5 have more channels than that on a transponder....so the quality can be real bad
As an example, BVN is on a TP with 11 video and 10 audio channels....EEK!!

The bigger the TV the more complaints I get about quality, I just done a KU install this morning (IA-5) and the customer was asking why some channels were perfect and some were like a computer screen, as Iceberg said its all about the bandwidth/cost some channels just don't pay as much as others to get their channel UP There!

Yes its due to over compression, this happends on dtv and dish also, even on my big dish (4dtv) I notice it sometimes when there is a fire on the movie or smoke with fast motions, of couse its not as bad as mini dish but its annoying, I love analog for this reason.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)