MPEG2 and MPEG4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWDYEM2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
I can't figure out the difference. I tried searching these boards and I can find the difference exactly...

1. What is the difference between MPEG4 and MPEG2

2. What format are the new HD channels on D*? The picture on some of the channels (even the ones broadcasting HS programming) is not impessive in the least.

MPEG2 has been around for a while, it is an older technology, it is the same video compression that is used on DVDs.

MPEG4 is a new format of compression that is more efficient than MPEG 2 and uses less bandwidth to give similar results.

If done correctly you should be able to get better image quality with MPEG4 if you use the same bandwidth as used with MPEG2, but if you use less bandwidth MPEG4 will not look that great.

I think DirecTV uses MPEG4.

I can't figure out the difference. I tried searching these boards and I can find the difference exactly...

2. What format are the new HD channels on D*? The picture on some of the channels (even the ones broadcasting HS programming) is not impessive in the least.

DirecTV's new HD channels and HD locals are MPEG4, the older ones are MPEG2.

Make sure you're actually watching an HD program. Many of the channels just launched are showing a lot of streched and/or upconverted SD, and some are even calling that HD in the guide...

Check out Big Ten Tonight or CNN's American Morning... those are two programs I've seen that are definitely in HD and have great quality.

MPEG2 has been around for a while, it is an older technology, it is the same video compression that is used on DVDs.

MPEG4 is a new format of compression that is more efficient than MPEG 2 and uses less bandwidth to give similar results.

If done correctly you should be able to get better image quality with MPEG4 if you use the same bandwidth as used with MPEG2, but if you use less bandwidth MPEG4 will not look that great.

I think DirecTV uses MPEG4.

The NEW channels are Mpeg4 and the old ones are Mpeg 2, eventually they will all merge to Mpeg4...
As mentioned previously, Mpeg 4 gives you a better compression using less bandwidh.

Jimbo

More compression. Its kinda funny that people want that. But it apparently is more efficient as well.

More compression. Its kinda funny that people want that. But it apparently is more efficient as well.
Its not actually MORE compression than mpeg 2. It is a different, more efficient form though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)