Mpeg2 hardware after 2009 changeover to HD

JDGJr

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 14, 2007
Longmont, CO
I'm giving my purchased 311 to my Dad, who will not upgrade to HD until absolutely necessary, and he asked what will Dish be doing with the SD-only hardware after the forced change-over in 2009.

I'd guess that Mpeg2 channels will start to get upgraded to Mpeg4 over time, but what is a likely plan for that to occur? Would it have to be completed before the changeover? After the changeover, will there be any SD sources to be sent to the satelites?

I'd guess that Dish will have to swap out all Mpeg2 boxes for newer ones, and that my dad would have to change to a lease or buy a new box.

any answers, thoughts, or projections?

The changeover has nothing to do with how Dish delivers. The equipment today will work then as long as Dish has mpeg2 streams running.

They would like to upgrade everyone to Mpeg4 at some point. It makes sense for them from a transmission point of view. More capacity on each transponder.

The 2009 digital conversion doesn't affect DISH. They'll still deliver locals the same way.

The 2009 digital conversion does NOT mean a conversion of HD.

HD is a byproduct of the digital conversion provided the stations want to provide the HD signal. The only requirement is a ditial signal and all broadcasters will have to provide that by 2009.

The changeover has nothing to do with how Dish delivers. The equipment today will work then as long as Dish has mpeg2 streams running.

They would like to upgrade everyone to Mpeg4 at some point. It makes sense for them from a transmission point of view. More capacity on each transponder.

The 2009 digital conversion doesn't affect DISH. They'll still deliver locals the same way.

The 2009 digital conversion does NOT mean a conversion of HD.

HD is a byproduct of the digital conversion provided the stations want to provide the HD signal. The only requirement is a ditial signal and all broadcasters will have to provide that by 2009.

You are right on that one. The switchover to Digital signals does not mean SD is going to die. If a station wants they can run just a SD digital signal, and HD signal and a SD signal, or a mux of a few SD channels.

People need to remember digital does not mean HD.

SD basically means a 4x3 picture. There is one exception, a 704x480 16:9 format. It may be delivered in an analog or digital manner.

HD is sent out 16x9, and only digitally.

OTA broadcasts under the old NTSC system are analog, and get shut off on 2/19/09. Under the new ATSC system, OTA broadcasts are sent out digitally. This saves space (oversimplified).

Satellite services, both E* & D*, send all their signals digitally. Most programming transmitted is in SD. Some, at extra cost, is sent out in HD.

MPEG-2 is used by Dish to send programming with some compression. Later, MPEG-4 was developed. It is able to send the same programming at the same quality with greater compression, and thereby allowing more programs to be sent in the same bandwidth. Or they could increase quality with less compression. Early Dish receivers cannot decode MPEG-4 signals. Some HD and local channels are sent out in MPEG-4 today. No doubt there will be a program at some time in the future to retire the MPEG-2 only boxes with MPEG-4 capable ones. That is probably at least 3 years away.

There is no connection between NTSC analog OTA broadcasts going away, and any future upgrade to MPEG-4 boxes.

Today, most OTA broadcasters send out both analog and digital signals. Unfortunately, many people refer to all digital programming as "HD." That is not accurate. The digital transmission may be SD or HD. Most is SD and that situation will be slow to change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)