Mpeg2 hd channels gone by 4/1/2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just splitting hairs, but it's only 15 right? I thought D* was 5 per tp

I think Scott may have been referring to what E* might do with the space if they took it from D*. But IIRC, according to the uplink reports at the other site, D* doesn't go beyond 5 HD per tp. I think there may be some TPs that only have 4.

That D* will never use off the 110. Unless they go around and start replacing everones SL3 LNBs that they just went around and put up.

I agree. For domestic programming, national SD channels are only on 101 (no HD channels) and only MPEG4 HD are on 99 and 103. D* shutting these channels down does nothing for domestic HD.

Yeah, but I'll take quality over quantity. On shows I watch a lot, I see more consistent and better PQ on D*. I've swapped back and forth enough to see it.

When I go from D* to E*, there is always a "damn" factor on PQ. Never happens when I go from E* to D*. Directv is not perfect by far, but I think they are second only to FIOS in PQ.

The difference is minimal at best. I've switched back and forth tons of times as well, And I'll take variety/and value over the slight difference in HD PQ.

It may be a slight difference to some, but to my eyes there is a substantial difference in the HD PQ between D* and E*. I can hardly stand to watch HD from E*. There is so much detail lost on E*, you can see it on every facial shot. Every low contrast shot. On backgrounds.

There's got to be detail lost, E*'s HD channels get 30%-40% less bandwidth on average. And D*'s HD channels aren't top notch either. So you take 30% or more from D*'s picture and there has to be real data/detail lost.

I'd like to see Scott's hope realized. That whatever would be moved to the 3 transponders might free up some bandwidth that could in turn be used for more HD.

The difference is minimal at best. I've switched back and forth tons of times as well, And I'll take variety/and value over the slight difference in HD PQ.
I respect your opinion but disagree that the difference is minimal. especially on larger screens.:)

No need for the war zone. I do not see why we can't debate things like adults. I do not go to the war zone, because I think it's for the kids, and I'll not go there. A blanket policy of all D* vs E* conversations going in the War Zone would suffice for kinder garden children.

Which is why HD will never be the same again. All providers know most households do not have larger HDTV's, and even more do not care as much about PQ. Its sad, but not going to change, because I'll never have FIOS here.

Which is why HD will never be the same again. All providers know most households do not have larger HDTV's, and even more do not care as much about PQ. Its sad, but not going to change, because I'll never have FIOS here.

On the bright side, HD quality will probably at least stay where it is as the bits are squeezed further. Encoders will only get better/more efficient with time.

I doubt you will see it downressed past where it is now. Just probably a better encoder and an extra channel per transponder.

On the bright side, HD quality will probably at least stay where it is as the bits are squeezed further. Encoders will only get better/more efficient with time.

I doubt you will see it downressed past where it is now. Just probably a better encoder and an extra channel per transponder.

That would be fine with me. Most channels like Syfy and FX look real good, so I think a lot of the problems now are with the channels themselves.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts