MPEG2 Western Arc shutoff

Josh.M Josh - as part of the MPEG4 transition on Western Arc, were most locals converted to HD if they were HD on Eastern Arc? For example, here in Illinois, the Rock Island area (zipcode 61204), which receives the Davenport locals, prior to this transition a customer had to have the Eastern Arc configuration to get the locals in HD, where a customer who had Western Arc configuration had the same locals in SD. Were the SD locals removed and replaced with the HD locals so Western/Eastern arc are the same? Or are these locals still in SD but MPEG4?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Josh.M Josh - as part of the MPEG4 transition on Western Arc, were most locals converted to HD if they were HD on Eastern Arc? For example, here in Illinois, the Rock Island area (zipcode 61204), which receives the Davenport locals, prior to this transition a customer had to have the Eastern Arc configuration to get the locals in HD, where a customer who had Western Arc configuration had the same locals in SD. Were the SD locals removed and replaced with the HD locals so Western/Eastern arc are the same? Or are these locals still in SD but MPEG4?
all sd channels that weren’t duplicates that were moved during the transition are still sd. If you’re hd locals come in on eastern arc then it stays that way. At the end of the day everything should work just as it did before.

all sd channels that weren’t duplicates that were moved during the transition are still sd. If you’re hd locals come in on eastern arc then it stays that way. At the end of the day everything should work just as it did before.

True, and there are projects being discussed to add HD options to WA where they were only in EA before. Goal here is to account for no LOS events where applicable and clean up a lot of the split/shared EA/WA markets.

These are easier to execute and should be completed much quicker than any full orbital removal.

Just curious... Back in the day, when HD first began appearing on Dish (those were exciting times!), I recall someone posting on an ancient (probably long-lost too) thread, that Dish was only broadcasting it as 1440x1080. I realize this is likely wishful thinking, but with MPEG4 compression, might they take it 1920x1080?

As a side-note, I downloaded and attempted to play Interstellar 4K UHD just to see how it would look on my new TV. It looked terrific, until it froze-up about 15-20 minutes into it. It wasn't buffering...I waited for it to finish downloading before attempting to play it in order to avoid any buffering issues. Ended up having to reboot my H3 as it locked it up. I tried downloading it again, but haven't tried watching it again as yet. I'm concerned it'll lock up again... :(

Just curious... Back in the day, when HD first began appearing on Dish (those were exciting times!), I recall someone posting on an ancient (probably long-lost too) thread, that Dish was only broadcasting it as 1440x1080. I realize this is likely wishful thinking, but with MPEG4 compression, might they take it 1920x1080?

As a side-note, I downloaded and attempted to play Interstellar 4K UHD just to see how it would look on my new TV. It looked terrific, until it froze-up about 15-20 minutes into it. It wasn't buffering...I waited for it to finish downloading before attempting to play it in order to avoid any buffering issues. Ended up having to reboot my H3 as it locked it up. I tried downloading it again, but haven't tried watching it again as yet. I'm concerned it'll lock up again... :(
My newer Samsung TV says that all of my HD channels are showing in 1920x1080/60i from my Hopper3.

I don’t subscribe to Dish 4k, so I can’t comment directly on that. However, 4k plays just fine from my AppleTV. But just play it again and see what happens. Dish Hopper SW isn’t very tolerant to errors in the video stream. If it happens in the same place again, then there may be a glitch in the video stream and you should let Dish know the time of the recording and minutes location so they could investigate. Otherwise it just an unknown question.

My newer Samsung TV says that all of my HD channels are showing in 1920x1080/60i from my Hopper3.

I don’t subscribe to Dish 4k, so I can’t comment directly on that. However, 4k plays just fine from my AppleTV. But just play it again and see what happens. Dish Hopper SW isn’t very tolerant to errors in the video stream. If it happens in the same place again, then there may be a glitch in the video stream and you should let Dish know the time of the recording and minutes location so they could investigate. Otherwise it just an unknown question.
Well that's good news about the 1920x1080/60i. My Sony Bravia doesn't give me that info.

I downloaded that movie from MGM's streaming library via my H3, so when I try watching Intersteller 4k UHD again, if it locks up again, do I let Dish know about it, or MGM?

That is what the Hopper is sending to the TV but it isn’t necessarily what DISH is sending to the satellite so it’s still possible that DISH could still be sending 1440 x1080 for the channels that are in 1080.

That is what the Hopper is sending to the TV but it isn’t necessarily what DISH is sending to the satellite so it’s still possible that DISH could still be sending 1440 x1080 for the channels that are in 1080.

Yep. The TV doesn't show what the resolution is. What does it show when watching TV Land? The same 1920X1080. It shows what the device attached is set to.

My TIVO has a 1920X1080 60p setting and the TV reports every OTA TV channel, SD, HD even the 720p channel is 1920X1080 60p.