MPEG4 and HR10-250:What Channels Won't I Get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hooks61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I am upgrading to 5LNB dish and an HR20 DVR. I want to move my HR10-250 into another room but want to know what channels it won't receive. I heard that I may lose only my locals in HD and will still get all other HD channels as well as the new ones that are rolling out.
Can anyone clear this up for me?
Thanks

All the HD channels will move off MPEG2 to MPEG4 at some point. We dont know the exact date but you will continue to receive what you can currently see on the HR10-250 today. As for the new list of HD channels announced here, your HR10-250 wont see a single one. So eventually the HR10-250 will only see OTA HD channels.

I am upgrading to 5LNB dish and an HR20 DVR. I want to move my HR10-250 into another room but want to know what channels it won't receive. I heard that I may lose only my locals in HD and will still get all other HD channels as well as the new ones that are rolling out.
Can anyone clear this up for me?
Thanks

Brewers reply is correct!

But I have a question for you. You say you already have a HR10-250 - then you say you "MAY LOSE ONLY YOUR LOCALS IN HD". You don't currently get your HD loclals if you have a HR10-250.

The point being, you will LOSE NO CHANNELS on your HR10-250, but you will GAIN NO CHANNELS on your HR10-250. All of the new channels as well as the HD locals can only be received on MPEG4 - IRDS. For all intents and purposes, what you get now on the HR10 is what you will get after you upgrade your dish. At least until/if they remove ALL the current HD channels from their present spots and re-locate them onto the D10 or D11 satellites.

Brewers reply is correct!

But I have a question for you. You say you already have a HR10-250 - then you say you "MAY LOSE ONLY YOUR LOCALS IN HD". You don't currently get your HD loclals if you have a HR10-250.

The point being, you will LOSE NO CHANNELS on your HR10-250, but you will GAIN NO CHANNELS on your HR10-250. All of the new channels as well as the HD locals can only be received on MPEG4 - IRDS. For all intents and purposes, what you get now on the HR10 is what you will get after you upgrade your dish. At least until/if they remove ALL the current HD channels from their present spots and re-locate them onto the D10 or D11 satellites.

hooks61 may be in NYC or LA area, in which case, HD locals are being delivered in MPEG2.

hooks61 may be in NYC or LA area, in which case, HD locals are being delivered in MPEG2.

I dont think the MPEG2 NY HD ones will be going away since they need to serve white area folks or ones that cant get locals or not served by a DMA and the FCC officially allows.

All - Thanks for the great info.
I am in the LA area and get my locals in HD on channels 81, 83, 87, 89. So it sounds like I will lose these HD locals on my HR10-250 when I upgrade to MPEG4, correct?
My other HD channels that I have now will continue to work?

All - Thanks for the great info.
I am in the LA area and get my locals in HD on channels 81, 83, 87, 89. So it sounds like I will lose these HD locals on my HR10-250 when I upgrade to MPEG4, correct?
My other HD channels that I have now will continue to work?

Here is the skinny.

1) All the new HD is in MPEG4.
2) All current HD that is in MPEG2 (national channels and LA/NY locals) will be shut down soon, most likely end of 2008 at the latest, probably sooner then that.

So within the next year your HR10 will no longer get *any* HD from the Sats.

Getting an HR20 now doesn't have any effect on the channels you get on the HR10. If you get one today your HR10 will still have all the same channels tomorrow. But eventually over the next year or so the HR10 will lose all HD channels from the sat. It will still work just find for SD and OTA HD if you have an antenna.

Note that your HD locals in LA are available in MPEG4 (and have been for a year or more).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)