MPEG4 DVR recording time...

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
We know MPEG 4 uses about 1/2 the space that MPEG 2 does. I counted my recordings and had 70+ hours of HD content (and some sd) stored on my 722 which says it has "55 hours". With the switch to all MPEG 4 HD are they going to change it to say ~100-110 hours?

Just curious,
Brad

I don't know any specific calculations or ratios, however I can say that I was down to about 20hours of HD left, then I deleted some older movies/TV shows, and now even after recording at least 10 more hours worth of HD content, I have over 33 hours of HD space left. I think mpeg4 does have at least some impact on file size. Or maybe the 722 is just bad at estimating remaining disk space, haha.

Wait for the last MPEG2-HD channels to be converted to MPEG4-HD (probably in a couple of weeks), and then those who have contacts in Engineering can suggest that the calculation be changed in the next software version.

The best estimate is from the External Hard Drive page. Requires the USB drive pugged in to read the manage (or send) listings. (Sort order set by Recordings page choice.)

I get 900MB/hr of SD, 2100MB/hr MPEG-4 and 3900MB/hr MPEG-2 with slightly more for OTA.

Some of HDNet Movies seems to be re-encoded but some must be MPEG-2 with a MPEG-4 wrapper, i.e., no reduction in size. I'm assuming the actual channel is now MPEG-4. I'm trying re-record a lot of my storage to save space--too bad it does not de-frag automatically.
-Ken

Some of HDNet Movies seems to be re-encoded but some must be MPEG-2 with a MPEG-4 wrapper, i.e., no reduction in size. I'm assuming the actual channel is now MPEG-4.

The MPEG2-HD channels have not been converted to MPEG4-HD yet, and so HDnetMovies is still MPEG2-HD.

The latest word is that it will be done by September 14th at the latest, but I would not be surprised to see it happen around the end of the month.

PS All content on Dish Network is re-encoded. The only possible exception is the new HBO/Cinemax MPEG4-HD channels which are provided to Dish Network as MPEG4-HD and may be passed on without re-encoding...

I've noticed that the estimated remaining time left for HD on my 722 has become less accurate lately, but in my favor. For instance, my wife recorded a 2+ hour movie from LifetimeHD a couple days ago, and it only took up about an hour and 15 minutes off of the estimate. Also, a 1 1/2 hour movie from one of the Cinemax channels only took up about 45 minutes of estimated space. I don't know if MPEG4 is responsible for this or if the 722 is just bad at math, but I'll take the extra space with no complaints. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)