MPEG4 H/D locals come to N.Y. & L.A.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Note that the rumered PBS stations are not included. So basically nothing 'new' since the MPEG2 streams of the big 4 were already up.

That is good news. I guess all the naysayers that said D* would never add MPEG4 locals will just admit that they were totally wrong. Robert was right about the turn on date all along, but maybe a little early on the PBS addition. Then again, we won't know until the dish is up. Overall, good news. The dish should be up by the weekend. More later..

Thanks for posting/linking the press release for L.A. (and NY) moonman.

Since I live in the L.A. market, I already get all the locals.

1A. So does this mean someone from D* will contact me (the only reason why I care about this release is, if it means I can get the L.A. markets in MPEG-4 (clearer picturer), then I will be up for it.

1B. If so, when should someone from D* contact me?

2. Will I still be able to use my HD Tivo/HR10-250?

Sorry for all the selfish questions. And thanks for your expertise in advance guys. --Matthew

Last edited:
The answer to your #2 question is no-except for OTA (sorry to say, since I have 1 as well). HR10-250 will only do mpeg2.

Baldone said:
The answer to your #2 question is no-except for OTA (sorry to say, since I have 1 as well). HR10-250 will only do mpeg2.

Thanks baldone. That's what I though but just wanted to make sure. :)

Is D* transmitting both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 version of the same channels? If so, then why? I don't see a point.

Is D* transmitting both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 version of the same channels? If so, then why? I don't see a point.

Because the goal is to have every HD customer upgrade to MPEG4 while not cutting service by those who have not yet upgraded. The sooner the bigger markets are done, the sooner the MPEG2 (NYC/LA) channels can and will be dropped.

Tele-TV said:
Thanks for posting/linking the press release for L.A. (and NY) moonman.
Since I live in the L.A. market, I already get all the locals.
1A. So does this mean someone from D* will contact me (the only reason why I care about this release is, if it means I can get the L.A. markets in MPEG-4 (clearer picturer), then I will be up for it.
1B. If so, when should someone from D* contact me?
2. Will I still be able to use my HD Tivo/HR10-250?
Sorry for all the selfish questions. And thanks for your expertise in advance guys. --Matthew

It's because of #2 that I am in no hurry for this Mpeg 4 upgrade, once D* can offer me an mpeg 4 replacement HDDVR I am all for this.

CWS_kahuna said:
It's because of #2 that I am in no hurry for this Mpeg 4 upgrade, once D* can offer me an mpeg 4 replacement HDDVR I am all for this.

Lets hope, NO!, lets make that pray, that the HR-20-250 DVR that is scheduled to come out do not use the hard drives from the same company, as the ones that went into the HD Tivo.

I feel sorry for all you R-15 (D-10 as well? owners, and for any other D* models that I forgot [to mention]) that have to put up with all this trouble.

sltmag said:
That is good news. I guess all the naysayers that said D* would never add MPEG4 locals will just admit that they were totally wrong. Robert was right about the turn on date all along, but maybe a little early on the PBS addition. Then again, we won't know until the dish is up. Overall, good news. The dish should be up by the weekend. More later..

Thanks for the recognition. Looks like NY and LA local PBS stations Will be added in the next few weeks.

-Robert

PBS in NY stinks anyway, with WNET's:

1) bazillion subchannels
2) requirement that WLIW NOT have an HD channel (why?) :)

oh well :) The new DVR can't come soon enough for me.

I would guess that they will have to keep the NY/LA MPEG-2 feeds up for a while for those ppl with MPEG-2 equipment who have can't get any locals, or have waivers.

The total HD MPEG-4 transition will probably take a year? or longer?

Are the MPEG-4 LA/NY feeds national or spot beam?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts