MPEG4 Upgrade Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It looks like it must be the Indiana Stores or maybe the CSR did not know and maybe it is a national thing. It runs through July 31 according to the offer in the store. I know it is in at least Lafayette, IN; Kokomo, IN; and Westfield/Carmel, IN.

Stopped in Greenwood, IN and the promotion was not there. So its not all central IN stores.

By Phillip Swann (President of OnHD & has been published in numerous broadcast outlets, including CNN, Fox News, Inside Edition, The Chicago Tribune, and The Associated Press)

The satcaster DirecTV will quietly test the new service in one city or two before launching nationally. But 24 markets will get local HDTV this fall.

DIRECTV has announced that it will offer High-Definition TV feeds of local channels in 24 markets this fall. This will be the first time that DIRECTV will provide viewers with local high-def coverage.

However, I predict that the satcaster will first test the local HDTV service in one market before launching the 24 market national launch around late September or early October. At this time, I am not ready to predict which market will be tested.

The reason for the one-city test: The local HDTV signals will be delivered via a new Ka-band satellite, which was launched in April, and a new compression technology called MPEG-4. Consequently, the satellite TV service must take special care to ensure that the new satellite -- and the new technology -- is a-ok before going national. (DIRECTV currently uses MPEG-2 compression technology to deliver TV signals.)

The limited market test would not be unprecedented for DIRECTV. The satcaster tested its new Interactive TV service, called DIRECTV Active, in selected cities before launching nationally. The Interactive TV test lasted up to 30 days.

DIRECTV's local HDTV service has been eagerly awaited by high-def owners. As of now, HDTV signals of local channels are only available via cable TV -- or an off-air antenna. (DIRECTV does provide national HDTV signals of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in selected areas.) The satellite TV service hopes that the addition of local HD will stop new HDTV owners from signing up for cable.

DIRECTV plans to offer local HD and up to 150 other national HDTV channels -- in nearly every market by 2007. The satcaster is launching four new satellites over the next two years to deliver those signals.

Shortly before this fall's full launch of the first 24 markets, I predict that DIRECTV will begin selling new MPEG-4 dishes and receivers, which will be needed to receive the local HDTV signals. However, I am not ready to agree at this time if DIRECTV will offer deep discounts and incentives for current customers to upgrade to the MPEG-4 systems. (It is very likely, though.)

DIRECTV's 24 market roll out of local HDTV will be done in two stages. DIRECTV has announced that the first 12 markets will be: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, and Tampa Bay. In the next few weeks, I predict that DIRECTV will announce the 12 additional markets that will get local HDTV this fall.

"DIRECTV has announced that it will offer High-Definition TV feeds of local channels in 24 markets this fall"

Did I miss this news release? Seems he mixed that "announced" with "I predict".

I thought the read was rather "iffy" worded but thought it was worth sharing. The guy seems to take what it known, and tossed in some of his thoughts. I had never read his stuff before or seen him on TV.

I emailed him and in a rather brief reply he stated the 24 markets were fact. No link or anything so I'm not sure where he found this information. I'm skeptical with out any kind of proof.

charper1 said:
DIRECTV has announced that it will offer High-Definition TV feeds of local channels in 24 markets this fall. This will be the first time that DIRECTV will provide viewers with local high-def coverage.

Why don't they worry about getting the national channels up and running first. Many people already get the locals in HD, via OTA antennas. I would rather see national HD networks like ESPN2, TNT, some of the other movie HD channels or the INHD networks, first.

The bottom line with all DBS is to be as 100% competitive with cable as possible given the one-sided rules geared to protect cable. Although I too would rather have national stuff 1st, at least I understand their commitments to HD LIL and VOD, these are the things cable still offer that DBS doesn't that I am aware of.

I join with you guys in the group who get good local OTA digital channels and so want all the national channels first. I could care less if D* ever gives me locals in what they claim is "HD", because I get pristine, uncompressed HD transmissions in the Dallas market area already, and the compressed crappola D* is sending me in their compressed and misnamed "HD" doesn't look as good as some of my Superbit DVDs.

I realize that D* may pump up their resolution again if they get enough bandwidth, but I am sure not holding my breath. I'm thinking D* will do this like they do everything else, late and badly.

Problem is, in our market DISH and Comcast suck even worse than D*, so D* is like a just homely girl in a room of really ugly chicks, not great, but better than the limited competition. Sigh.

Well i guess i'll have to wait a wee bit longer to go HD or HD with TIVO if everything is going to change...
Not that I can afford it anyway!! hopefully there will be some awesome deals for exsisting users even if we are just basic users.

ahruska said:
I'm relatively new to DIRECTV and have a few questions about MPEG4. When Directv changes to MPEG4, will all suscribers (SD and HD) be required to get the 5 LNB dish and new receivers or just HD suscribers? Also, does anyone know when MPEG4 will be launched? Thanks!

when will mpeg 4 drop?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)