MPEG4 upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rhino31

Original poster
May 24, 2005
been away for a few months on business, so I've been out of the loop. any word on when the mpeg4 is coming to the top 12 cities? I'm in the DC area, so has it hit yet? and what about my H-10? are they going to replace them or what? My HDMI port is bad, and it's an older model, but I use the componet hook up, so it's no big deal to me; regardless, I still need to know when the upgrade is coming, and what I can do to get the new box. thanks fellas

The updgrade for the H-10 happened on the 9th of this month for most of us. The west coast seems to have gotten it about a week earlier. Spaceway 2 has been delayed. Maybe late September or October before it goes up. No one knows for sure.

what do I need to do for the upgrade? I have the older model, so I have to imagine they are exchaning the old HD-DVR's for newer one's that are compatible with the mpeg4 format.... or am I completely off base here

I just called Directv, and went thru about 3 levels of customer service reps...

I was asking about mpeg4, and the HR10-250 (HD DVR Tivo) i wanted to make sure i was not going to be stuck once the mpeg4 rolls out with a receiver not able to get all of the high definition content they offer, i told them i didn't want to sign up for another 2 year agreement and be stuck etc.....

Finally i got a guy who knew about the mpeg4 upgrades, and got him to put a note on my account with a reference number stating that if I was unable to receive any content because of my receiver that i would get an upgrade on my HD DVR receiver free of charge.

He did go on to mention that they do plan to upgrade those folks that need it, who currently have hd equipment (not sure if this means SD too, i don't know if mpeg4 effects SD content as well)

I also was able to get them to give me the HR10-250 for $299 plus $14.95 shipping or install. They called it some shopper's deal?

Do you remember who you talked to to get the HR10-250 for $299? Even with the current rebate promotion it is still too rich for my blood, so I've been considering a switch to Dish. If I could get the $299 I could probably sell that to the real decision maker in my house.

Right now I'm running with the RCA DTC-210 side by side with a Hughes SD Tivo Unit. I'd love to go with one unit.

Thanks.

BiteMe said:
Do you remember who you talked to to get the HR10-250 for $299? Even with the current rebate promotion it is still too rich for my blood, so I've been considering a switch to Dish. If I could get the $299 I could probably sell that to the real decision maker in my house.

Right now I'm running with the RCA DTC-210 side by side with a Hughes SD Tivo Unit. I'd love to go with one unit.

Thanks.

It is still going to cost you about $250 to go to E* and get a HD-DVR. They call it some kind of upgrade fee, for their DVRs. So if you want a DVR there is little difference between E* and the $299.00 price of D*, if you can get it. Plus I think once D* gets its new satellites up and running they will have a lot more HD programing than anyone.

Boys...it's 299 but you still get the 100 rebate....if 199 is too rich for your blood for the HD tivo...wait about another year, I assume they will get on the boat with a lease system in place or get a transfusion!

I purchased a Hughes HD receiver 2 years ago. I checked for upgrades and it said I did not receive any. I do live in Scranton, PA. When can I expect to receive this upgrade.?

bgilga said:
I purchased a Hughes HD receiver 2 years ago. I checked for upgrades and it said I did not receive any. I do live in Scranton, PA. When can I expect to receive this upgrade.?

No existing HD receiver will be able to do MPEG-4. It will take a replacement, which D* has said they would swap out at no extra charge when your DMA's HD locals are offered.

After reading your post about the shoppers deal, I called them. Got transferred twice and told that the HR10-250 is 649 with a 100 mail in rebate. Hung up. Any one else able to get the 299 deal?

so what do I have to do to get my HR10-250 upgraded? call them, and let them know my situation? when do the new channels go into effect? i live in the DC broadcasting area. thanks

rhino31 said:
so what do I have to do to get my HR10-250 upgraded? call them, and let them know my situation? when do the new channels go into effect? i live in the DC broadcasting area. thanks
I believe it is more of a "don't call us... we'll call you situation"... and nobody knows but D* about the new channels and they are holding thier cards close to thier vest...

OK folks, I am new to Satellite - jumped from cable a few days ago. I wanted to upgrade to HDTV but it turns out that, contrary to what the installer told me, I cannot swap my DVR for an HDDVR. I currently have the DISH DVR510. I can either allow them to install an HDTV receiver, no hard drive, or I can PURCHASE an HD DVR. I called to get some info about the HD DVRs, specifically obsolescence and was told that any upgrades would be handled by "downloads" and that these receivers were "made to last many years." (Direct quote!) So I scheduled an install for the HD receiver for Sunday (for what I am guessing will be the 811). I was told I could hook up my Panasonic DVD Recorder but my research on the net tells me otherwise. And so I again contemplate purchase of an HD DVR. Now, I am reading that all of the current receivers have the MPEG2 format. But .... SOON the format will be changing over to MPEG4. So I called DISH again. Sales had no clue what I was talking about, and Tech really did not either. I was told that this was nothing to worry about. Tech advised that they would go ahead and buy now. I read more on the internet. Some are saying: do not buy now, and if you bought recently, dump your HD DVR quick. Others are saying that neither Dish nor DirectTV are not going to hand business to the cable industry so there will be some sort of upgrade program - either a swap out or direct hardware upgrade. What do you advise??? I truly cannot afford to purchase the 942 only to find it does not receive channels in the very near future. And I understand that DirectTV is going to phase in MPEG4 as early as this FALL, latest 2006. Dish has to follow if they plan on adding channels. What have other people done? What would others advise???

Here is essentially what is known, and anyone who knows more can add to this , but from all the posts I have read here and in other places, this is what D* has committed to and what they have not.

For those who currently have an HD receiver and subscribe, when MPEG4 hits, they will be upgraded for free if a software fix will not work. What is unknown and D* will not say, is whether those who have an HD DVR will get a free upgrade.

I have a Samsung TS 160, which is an older model. I have no idea whether a software upgrade will work for MPEG4, but my guess is it likely won't for a model this old.

Hope that helps.

MPEG 4 roll outs are going to be a hard ware switch. Currently being built by tandburg or tandberg. something like that. NO SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD CAN CHANGE HARDWARE. So as soon as your locals become available in HD directv will replace your dish with a 5 lnb dish. 99/101/103/110/119/ here are the locations in which after the sat is launched where they will all be carried. The irds will be replaced. If you find out what local market has the highest population you can pretty much tell where your going to fall in line. They are rolling out 12 markets at a time. Im market like 124 so i know im not holding my breath. i will prob see my upgrade by the end of 2006 if the sat gets launched by the begining of fall that is. So everyone take a pill! lol DTV seems to have us all in good hands. I don't see dishnetwork talking about any of their future plans for sat launches it takes years to build a satellite. oh well

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)