MRV and Homeplug performance

Anybody have any suggestions on my MRV issue?

Watching LR content in the basement: nearly flawless HD and SD
Watching basement content in the LR: unwatchable. Even just SD... audio drops every 5 secs or so accompanied by the occasional video freeze

My setup:
Netgear 3500 N Router
LR: Linksys WRT54GS Router flashed w/ DD-WRT
Basement: Netgear WNHDE111 N Bridge

Guessing I just need to make some tweaks, but I've played with the QoS settings, etc. and zero improvement. Any thoughts?

I think you need a Linksys wga600n or the new WET610N to replace the WRT54GS. Even with everything on "N" sometimes the speed is not enough for HD.

I have 2 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Routers bridged wirelessly and it works great for most of my non-D* x264 HD content (stutters on 1080p) but stutters for MRV HD content. In my experience when dealing with wireless no matter how fast it can perform, it some times dips below what is needed for a good solid stutter free connection.
I am currently researching a mocha solution since I have a coax (not SAT) run to the location I need ethernet. I may go with a 200+ powerplug option if I can get one at wallmart so I can take it back hassle free if it doesn't fit the bill.
I would hope other posters in this thread would give an update on what solution they found. :up

Let me see if I uderstand this right: If I buy a set of powerline ethernet adapters (various brands) I can connect each receiver to each other via those? What if I do not have internet or a network and just want to use these to connect each receiver to each other, will that work? If so what is a cheap set?

Let me see if I uderstand this right: If I buy a set of powerline ethernet adapters (various brands) I can connect each receiver to each other via those? What if I do not have internet or a network and just want to use these to connect each receiver to each other, will that work? If so what is a cheap set?

That will work. You will need to manually set up networking, however. There are three types of powerline adapters, HomePlug 1.0 (14 Mbps), HomePlug 1.0 Turbo (85 Mbps) and HomePlug AV (200 Mbps). How well they work depends a bit on your home electrical wiring and they will not deliver those rates for real-world data. The Directv 85 Mbps units are ~$25 ea. (one for the router and one for each connected DVR). I saw some posts about Best Buy having Belkin 200 Mbps units on sale recently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts