MRV and OnDemand

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You need a broadband DECA adapter. It consists of a DECA adapter that attaches via RG6 to your SWiM splitter, a power supply, and an ethernet cable that connects the adapter to your router. It gives you internet functionality at every receiver in the DECA network.
Are these the same boxes that are hanging off the back of my receivers currently?

I just got Directv installed today and didn't realize I needed anything extra for on-demand to work..

Were they supposed to offer this to me when I ordered? Would they have installed it when they came out for the initial install without me having to pay for a 2nd trip?

I just got Directv installed today and didn't realize I needed anything extra for on-demand to work..

Were they supposed to offer this to me when I ordered? Would they have installed it when they came out for the initial install without me having to pay for a 2nd trip?

I guess it depends on HOW you ordered; but every time I have done an order (myself or helping a friend) there was no up-sell. Internet connectivity and how you go about obtaining it, I imagine is at the sole discretion of each end user. I know mine was, I knew that going in however. In other words; you didn't get cheated or shafted.

I guess it depends on HOW you ordered; but every time I have done an order (myself or helping a friend) there was no up-sell. Internet connectivity and how you go about obtaining it, I imagine is at the sole discretion of each end user. I know mine was, I knew that going in however. In other words; you didn't get cheated or shafted.

I guess its like this...

Had I not been paying $3 a month for whole-home dvr, I could have just spent $25 on a plug-and-play device to get me up and running. But, because I chose this "upgrade" I now need to pay to have a tech much more to do an installation?

Also, the text on the package page says "Thousands of titles available On DEMAND with an HD DVR connected to the Internet ". Had it said "with an HD DVR connected to the Internet plus some special equipment that has to be installed by a tech" it would be a little more accurate.

So, they didn't quite shove my face in the mud and steal my wallet, but they weren't exactly forthcoming with the pertinent info, either.

those could be B-band converters; can you post pics or read what is on their labels?

Shouldn't be, if he has MRV he has SWiM, so no B-Band converters. Should be DECA adapters. Are they white, with an ethernet jack at one end and an f connector on the other with a bunch of green lights?

I guess its like this...

Had I not been paying $3 a month for whole-home dvr, I could have just spent $25 on a plug-and-play device to get me up and running. But, because I chose this "upgrade" I now need to pay to have a tech much more to do an installation?

Also, the text on the package page says "Thousands of titles available On DEMAND with an HD DVR connected to the Internet ". Had it said "with an HD DVR connected to the Internet plus some special equipment that has to be installed by a tech" it would be a little more accurate.

So, they didn't quite shove my face in the mud and steal my wallet, but they weren't exactly forthcoming with the pertinent info, either.

Hmmm odd; I remember something like this posted:

To enjoy DIRECTV on Demand, you need:

* A DIRECTV Plus HD DVR Receiver (HR20 or HR21 or newer).
* DVR service. If you plan on downloading HD programs, you'll need HD Access ($10/mo.).
* Broadband Internet service with a minimum connection speed of 750 Kbps or higher (DSL or cable).
* A network router with an available Ethernet port.
* A connection between your HD DVR and internet router.

Learn more about DIRECTV on DEMAND or how to get connected.

I currently have whole home dvr and to get on demand I found my two powerline TII Turbo85s from two + years ago that I purchased from DirecTV and plugged them into the wall socket at my where my HR23 is located moved the ethernet plug whole home dvr in the back to the lower ethernet connection on my dvr, and the TII powerline connection to the top ethernet connection on my dvr, connected the other poweline ethernet cable into my AT&T wireless modem and I have whole home dvr and on demand. Tech support and the Tech who installed told me the powerline plugs would never work with the whole home dvr and that I would have to have them come back and run a line from my modem with a deca. My wireless powerline plugs work just fine and I did not need to run a long cable run. Just for info there are other ways just make sure you plug the powerline plugs directly into the wall plug and not on a powerstrip.

Hmmm odd; I remember something like this posted:

To enjoy DIRECTV on Demand, you need:

* A DIRECTV Plus HD DVR Receiver (HR20 or HR21 or newer).
* DVR service. If you plan on downloading HD programs, you'll need HD Access ($10/mo.).
* Broadband Internet service with a minimum connection speed of 750 Kbps or higher (DSL or cable).
* A network router with an available Ethernet port.
* A connection between your HD DVR and internet router.

Learn more about DIRECTV on DEMAND or how to get connected.

Wherever this text came from, it doesn't exactly clarify the situation either. Saying you need a router with an ethernet port and a connection between your HD DVR and router makes you think you would plug the hd dvr into the ethernet port via cat5, no?

So anyway, if I get a broadband DECA adapter w/ power supply, plug it into the SWiM module, and use a wireless gaming bridge to hook it up to my router, I should be good to go... right?

Its not the b band- they say deca on them, have a rg6 input and rg6 out put and cat5 out put that goes in to ethernet port on reciver.

They are beginning to ship the actual "Broadband Deca" adapters now, but I have not seen one at any retailers. You could buy another DECA adapter from someplace like Solid Signal and a power supply to make your internet connection. This is the way DirecTV has been doing the installs because the Broadband DECA adapters have not been available.

The input (Labeled LNB) side connects via coax to your SWiM splitter. The output side connects to the power supply. The Ethernet connects to your router or switch.

The cost of the DECA adapter is roughly $70.00, DirecTV was only charging $25.00.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)