MRV doesn't stay connected

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Hello everyone, Just got D* installed today and I am having trouble keeping the MRV function connected. I have an HR24 and H24. after running network connection tests that show successful, I pull up a program off the DVR on the H24 and begin viewing. I soon get a message stating that "LivingRoom" (HR24 box) has been disconnected and the program stops. Then I have to run the connection tests again. Any ideas anyone?

Confirm there are no Ethernet cables plugged into either box?

Have you rebooted both boxes? Red button reset or restart receiver in the system menu?

Ok, I have turned off both boxes and turned them back on. Have not done a hard reset. Also, I do not have eithernet plugged into either STB. I was watching the H24 a little more tonight and noticed that the message saying "livingroom" DVR has been disconnected pops up at random times.

This may be related to your wiring. If there are any green dtv splitters between the boxes there may be issues. There is supposedly a fliter in the green splitters that blocks the decca frequncies out of the input port. This is so that multiple apts in a mdu type installatio do not see each others tvs through decca/swm. The green splitters should be used as the first splitter in the distribution. All others used in a daisy chain type installation should be the white and silver ones.

Ok, I have turned off both boxes and turned them back on. Have not done a hard reset. Also, I do not have eithernet plugged into either STB. I was watching the H24 a little more tonight and noticed that the message saying "livingroom" DVR has been disconnected pops up at random times.

If I recall from another thread you reported high signal strengths so cabling probably is not an issue. Could be a bad box.

Here is what I did to solve a disconnection issue. Unplugged all my STBs. (scary huh). Unplugged the internet connection DECA power supply, unplugged the SWiM Power inserter.

Waited five minutes, plugged in the PI, the DECA power supply and restarted both boxes.

This may be related to your wiring. If there are any green dtv splitters between the boxes there may be issues. There is supposedly a fliter in the green splitters that blocks the decca frequncies out of the input port. This is so that multiple apts in a mdu type installatio do not see each others tvs through decca/swm. The green splitters should be used as the first splitter in the distribution. All others used in a daisy chain type installation should be the white and silver ones.

From what I have been told, green labeled splitters are the ONLY splitters that can be used in a SWiM/MRV-DECA installation.

wildbill129 said:
From what I have been told, green labeled splitters are the ONLY splitters that can be used in a SWiM/MRV-DECA installation.

This is what I hear.

Also I have installed a home with mrv with near perfect signal strength. Only problem is that the mrv was cutting in and out just like your saying. I pulled all the wall plates and noticed one cable was going to the attic while the others go to the basement. When right above the wallplate going to the attic there was a picture hung. They hit the rg6 with the picture nail. Ran a new line and problem solved.

I reset the receivers again and it seems to have fixed the issue for now. There is one show for some reason that won't play back (says receiver is not sending/receiving any data packets), but its just one certain show. We will see how it works out.

I reset the receivers again and it seems to have fixed the issue for now. There is one show for some reason that won't play back (says receiver is not sending/receiving any data packets), but its just one certain show. We will see how it works out.

I've had that happen before too. Sometimes a show doesn't work for some reason. Glad it's working now....:up

Now, anyone have any Idea why I cannot get the HR24 apps to come up (says they are unavailable and get code "11").

I've had D* service since July and the MRV into the H24 room has always been an issue. Normally that room is only used in the evening and every other night a reset is needed to get the DVR list up.

Tech came out in early August and replaced the H24 because it seemed too warm. The new one is just as warm and the problem never went away. Unfortunately the list was up as normal when he arrived.

Only over the last few days have I seen the repeated "connection to dvr has been dropped" messages, even as much as 20 times within an hour. Resetting the box did not fix this problem, yesterday it seemed to stop though.

When the list is up as normal the only channels that regularly do not play in the H24 room are SD-only channels. Message says there are no audio/video packets to display. I'd say that happens about 95% of the time for the SD's, luckily there are so few of those remaining.

I plan to call a tech out again before the 90-day warranty ends.

Well, just noticed, The HD recorded shows play fine, but the SD shows do not. Thats not going to be acceptable.....Guess I am going to have to call DirecTV. Everything started out so great too...but I am not going to pay for a service if its going to have weird, unexplainable glitches every few days. E* STB was pretty bare bones compared to D* system, but it always worked without problems....hopefully this is an easily fixable thing.

Reading this thread, the OP has had three different issues... I'd start by checking the coax diagnostics by holding right arrow on front panel and press guide for approx. 1 second and release both. This only works for the H24 and HR24 boxes and the Phy level test cannot measure the node loss at its node (N/A will be displayed; if multiple 24s are in the setup, the node loss will be measured by a remote 24). Running Coax Diagnostics, Phy Level s/b LT 60 (measured dB loss directly proportional to coax length); Phy rate mesh s/b GT 215 (this is the measured speed of your MRV/DECA connection) for passing results. You can post these results. If failing, the thing to check for is loose coax connections or missing terminators on unused ports of splitter or splitters. The green-labelled directv splitters s/b used since they're designed to pass the DECA frequencies without insertion loss that a standard splitter will yield.

suggested work-arounds;

MRV device drops of the network:
1) Verify your router is not limiting the max number of Clients; some Linksys routers have multiple settings and default may be set to max of 5 Clients.
2) Use static IPs outside the DHCP range of router; do not use reserved DHCP as static, not a good substitute for Directv, ATM. Static is as simple as menu navigating to Network, select advanced tab and entering a unique IP address that is known to exist outside the DHCP range of router. Net mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway; router's IP (ex. 192.168.1.1) Alternate DNS server could used as well, try 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS). should connect.

TV APPS:
If using static IPs, you can port forward your router to start network services (this may not work but may be a method to narrow the problem)
1) Select ports to manually assign for each Directv box starting at TCP port 27171. It's a good idea to assign odd ports as STB ports and even ports as audio services ports. For ease of memory, assign them sequentially: 27171/27172... 27173/27174... 27175/27176 as so on... Assign these in your router to the static IPs. In addition, add these forwarded ports to each static IP: UDP port 1701 and TCP port 443.
2) Select Network Services tab, select manual and enter the port numbers you assigned to each IP. Run connection test. Run it again if you get message stating, "Network Services has started but Connection Test failed". Twice s/b enough to see the Congrats...running.
Note; these steps may only facilitate connection to TV APPS; there may be an issue where ISP or router blocks connection or the server is not recognizing a valid Receiver ID (these are unknowns). The connection test results w/b important to pass along to Directv if all appears well but still getting errors for TV APPS.

MRV SD playback fails
I've seen a few reports with the problem but have not seen it myself; I MRV SD content for my daughter daily w/o fail. I'd try a menu restart if any MRV attempt fails. I have seen MRV Clients fail to stream a recording that starts with the message that all or part of the recording was lost due to a signal error. Resuming past that message locally would help the Client if resume was selected. I think a lot of these MRV issues have been addressed with f/w upgrades but more are still needed.

Reading this thread, the OP has had three different issues... I'd start by checking the coax diagnostics by holding right arrow on front panel and press guide for approx. 1 second and release both. This only works for the H24 and HR24 boxes and the Phy level test cannot measure the node loss at its node (N/A will be displayed; if multiple 24s are in the setup, the node loss will be measured by a remote 24). Running Coax Diagnostics, Phy Level s/b LT 60 (measured dB loss directly proportional to coax length); Phy rate mesh s/b GT 215 (this is the measured speed of your MRV/DECA connection) for passing results. You can post these results. If failing, the thing to check for is loose coax connections or missing terminators on unused ports of splitter or splitters. The green-labelled directv splitters s/b used since they're designed to pass the DECA frequencies without insertion loss that a standard splitter will yield.

suggested work-arounds;

MRV device drops of the network:
1) Verify your router is not limiting the max number of Clients; some Linksys routers have multiple settings and default may be set to max of 5 Clients.
2) Use static IPs outside the DHCP range of router; do not use reserved DHCP as static, not a good substitute for Directv, ATM. Static is as simple as menu navigating to Network, select advanced tab and entering a unique IP address that is known to exist outside the DHCP range of router. Net mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway; router's IP (ex. 192.168.1.1) Alternate DNS server could used as well, try 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS). should connect.

TV APPS:
If using static IPs, you can port forward your router to start network services (this may not work but may be a method to narrow the problem)
1) Select ports to manually assign for each Directv box starting at TCP port 27171. It's a good idea to assign odd ports as STB ports and even ports as audio services ports. For ease of memory, assign them sequentially: 27171/27172... 27173/27174... 27175/27176 as so on... Assign these in your router to the static IPs. In addition, add these forwarded ports to each static IP: UDP port 1701 and TCP port 443.
2) Select Network Services tab, select manual and enter the port numbers you assigned to each IP. Run connection test. Run it again if you get message stating, "Network Services has started but Connection Test failed". Twice s/b enough to see the Congrats...running.
Note; these steps may only facilitate connection to TV APPS; there may be an issue where ISP or router blocks connection or the server is not recognizing a valid Receiver ID (these are unknowns). The connection test results w/b important to pass along to Directv if all appears well but still getting errors for TV APPS.

MRV SD playback fails
I've seen a few reports with the problem but have not seen it myself; I MRV SD content for my daughter daily w/o fail. I'd try a menu restart if any MRV attempt fails. I have seen MRV Clients fail to stream a recording that starts with the message that all or part of the recording was lost due to a signal error. Resuming past that message locally would help the Client if resume was selected. I think a lot of these MRV issues have been addressed with f/w upgrades but more are still needed.

Here are my numbers from the COAX Connection Test.

Node 0 LivingRoom N/A
Node 1 Bedroom 35
Node 2 DECA? 21

Physical Rate Mesh Stats

241 240 253
245 245 244
252 239 241

From what I can tell from your last quoted post, this seems within the specs you described. But then again, the MRV has been working the last day or so. I have also changed the IP address on each STB to static addresses, so that may have helped.

The TV Apps still do not work nor does the viewing of at least some SD programs on the H24 off the HR24. I have never messed with ports to much in the router settings. I am going to take what you say and see if I feel comfortable doing it.

Here are my numbers from the COAX Connection Test.

Node 0 LivingRoom N/A
Node 1 Bedroom 35
Node 2 DECA? 21

Physical Rate Mesh Stats

241 240 253
245 245 244
252 239 241

Those are excellent numbers so I don't think you have a problem with cabling or connections. Your problem might be with a setting on the receiver or at Directv's end (authorization) or bad receiver. If you login to your account on-line, can you see the line "Directv on Demand" under "Other"?

Those are excellent numbers so I don't think you have a problem with cabling or connections. Your problem might be with a setting on the receiver or at Directv's end (authorization) or bad receiver. If you login to your account on-line, can you see the line "Directv on Demand" under "Other"?

Yes, and from what I can tell, On Demand Content works just fine. I just downloaded highlights from a NFL game last week from Sunday Ticket On Demand.

The TV Apps still do not work nor does the viewing of at least some SD programs on the H24 off the HR24. I have never messed with ports to much in the router settings. I am going to take what you say and see if I feel comfortable doing it.

Here's a link that may help to understand your router's port forwarding settings: PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model

Once at the link, scroll down to see if your model is listed and select it.

I had this very issue with my HR23 dropping off my network. Problem was successfully resolved by assigning it an IP outside my DHCP range, as someone mentioned. Have not had one disconnect since I gave it an outside IP address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)