MRV question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

memory

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
working usually
I know this has been answered before but when I go to play something from another reciever it says unable to access media but there both connected and it sees it just cant play anything from the other one

YOU DON"T HAVE TO YELL AT US!:yikes

I've had the same problem....a reboot always fixes it...glad it worked for you!

Sorry was working with a program that uses caps only and well I reboot and it works for a few hours then I go back to the cant access media so hmm not sure but when it works it works great

Ok, that's strange. Confirm you have the newest CE release on both receivers? Have you rebooted both? Are you having any network issues?

Ok, that's strange. Confirm you have the newest CE release on both receivers? Have you rebooted both? Are you having any network issues?

downloaded the newest CE Fri nigh ton both receivers and no netowrk issues so I am confused whats the prob:confused::confused:

I know this has been answered before but when I go to play something from another reciever it says unable to access media but there both connected and it sees it just cant play anything from the other one

This is a new bug with MRV and x374 s/w. You cannot at this time try to view from another receiver or reverse the CLIENT/SERVER MRV stream. It's best to pick the best one directional Server to CLIENT relationship to use until next CE.

To get it going again, repeat your network setup and restart the one you've picked to be your Server. After you get it going to a CLIENT, I think you're pretty much stuck with that relationship. You cannot change a SERVER to a CLIENT without the repeat of network setup and restart. I wouldn't recommend it because it may likely recreate a lot of the old issues of unable to access media which would require restarting again...and again...and Oh yeah, did I mention MRV is broken this CE? You can find more info on the x374 s/w discussion thread.

Good luck with the next CE.

This is a new bug with MRV and x374 s/w. You cannot at this time try to view from another receiver or reverse the CLIENT/SERVER MRV stream. It's best to pick the best one directional Server to CLIENT relationship to use until next CE.

To get it going again, repeat your network setup and restart the one you've picked to be your Server. After you get it going to a CLIENT, I think you're pretty much stuck with that relationship. You cannot change a SERVER to a CLIENT without the repeat of network setup and restart. I wouldn't recommend it because it may likely recreate a lot of the old issues of unable to access media which would require restarting again...and again...and Oh yeah, did I mention MRV is broken this CE? You can find more info on the x374 s/w discussion thread.

Good luck with the next CE.

Is this a random bug? My MRV is working fine both ways with the latest CE...

Is this a random bug? My MRV is working fine both ways with the latest CE...

Your comment is a rare one; but I've heard a few say that. MRV is broken for most users. My question to you is what kind of setup have you got and have you experienced an increase in having to restart SERVER for MRV?

We are talking about CE x374, right? Even the MODS on the "other" site are saying MRV is broken and please don't try to fix MRV or complain about it; test the other features and report on those. Not an exact quote but accurate.

I had problems from the beginning but managed only to get MRV going one way without immediately failing to access data on both my HR22-100s. I'm not sure if I induced this or not but I had d/l'd one DVR, tried MRV and failed, then tried the d/l on second DVR one but still had problems. I've noticed that when I restart a DVR, I get a message that I've yet to see before that states s/w loaded successfully. It seems some sort of new protocol gets downloaded each time I restart. I cannot recall ever seeing that before.

I even reinstalled CE x374 on both DVRs again on Saturday before I realized so many were having the same problem.

Your comment is a rare one; but I've heard a few say that. MRV is broken for most users. My question to you is what kind of setup have you got and have you experienced an increase in having to restart SERVER for MRV?

We are talking about CE x374, right? Even the MODS on the "other" site are saying MRV is broken and please don't try to fix MRV or complain about it; test the other features and report on those. Not an exact quote but accurate.

I had problems from the beginning but managed only to get MRV going one way without immediately failing to access data on both my HR22-100s. I'm not sure if I induced this or not but I had d/l'd one DVR, tried MRV and failed, then tried the d/l on second DVR one but still had problems. I've noticed that when I restart a DVR, I get a message that I've yet to see before that states s/w loaded successfully. It seems some sort of new protocol gets downloaded each time I restart. I cannot recall ever seeing that before.

I even reinstalled CE x374 on both DVRs again on Saturday before I realized so many were having the same problem.

After I read your comment, I went through all the CE posts and saw the issues folks were having with MRV. I had looked at them the first day and saw a few issues with some, but didn't realize the extent of the problems. I also went to DBStalk and looked there...hadn't been there in a while.....I saw Greg's post too.

As far as my setup goes. I have an HR21-100 and and HR20-700 hardwired to my network. Both are on seperate switches and eventually go back to my Linksys router. I downloaded 374 (Addy) last Saturday night. MRV has worked fine all week both ways until late last night. I finally got the network error. I was trying to watch something from the HR21 on the HR20. I gave the HR21 a red button reset and it went back to working fine. I don't plan on messing with it again. I am going to download the latest CE tonight....hopefully MRV will be more stable for everyone...

Thanks for the info...

After I read your comment, I went through all the CE posts and saw the issues folks were having with MRV. I had looked at them the first day and saw a few issues with some, but didn't realize the extent of the problems. I also went to DBStalk and looked there...hadn't been there in a while.....I saw Greg's post too.

As far as my setup goes. I have an HR21-100 and and HR20-700 hardwired to my network. Both are on seperate switches and eventually go back to my Linksys router. I downloaded 374 (Addy) last Saturday night. MRV has worked fine all week both ways until late last night. I finally got the network error. I was trying to watch something from the HR21 on the HR20. I gave the HR21 a red button reset and it went back to working fine. I don't plan on messing with it again. I am going to download the latest CE tonight....hopefully MRV will be more stable for everyone...

Thanks for the info...

Interesting setup, are your switches and router gigabit? I'm sure that 100MBps works fine but would seem a bit slow for HD streams if all your devices were 100MBps. Unless you have some good quality switches?

Funny I question your setup when you had MRV longer and without problems longer than most! LOL.

On the other-hand, if your have good quality gigabit switches, you're adding more packet buffer that way. The router could make even a bigger difference depending on its buffer capacity and s/w, being setup that way.

I've got both mine connected to a single gigabit managed switch which doesn't fair much if any better than a non-managed gigabit switch.

Interesting setup, are your switches and router gigabit? I'm sure that 100MBps works fine but would seem a bit slow for HD streams if all your devices were 100MBps. Unless you have some good quality switches?

Funny I question your setup when you had MRV longer and without problems longer than most! LOL.

On the other-hand, if your have good quality gigabit switches, you're adding more packet buffer that way. The router could make even a bigger difference depending on its buffer capacity and s/w, being setup that way.

I've got both mine connected to a single gigabit managed switch which doesn't fair much if any better than a non-managed gigabit switch.

My router is a Linksys WRT160N dual band wireless N router, with a 5 port gigabit switch. It runs to my media panel, where I have a netgear 5 port 10/100 switch. All the rooms in my house are home run to the panel. My HR21-100 is homerun to the panel and connected directly to this switch. There is only a single line from the panel to the family room, so I put a Linkys 10/100 switch in there. I have my HR20-700 connected to this switch, as well as my Blue Ray and a D-Link media player.

I have had no real playback issues since using MRV off and on for the last couple of months (depending on the CE release) other than the occasional video blip that many experience. 30 sec skip/slip is less than desired, but it seems to get better with each CE release. The video/audio playback quality is superb.

I do plan on replacing my switches at some point with gigabit switches, just haven't had the need....yet....

My router is a Linksys WRT160N dual band wireless N router, with a 5 port gigabit switch. It runs to my media panel, where I have a netgear 5 port 10/100 switch. All the rooms in my house are home run to the panel. My HR21-100 is homerun to the panel and connected directly to this switch. There is only a single line from the panel to the family room, so I put a Linkys 10/100 switch in there. I have my HR20-700 connected to this switch, as well as my Blue Ray and a D-Link media player.

I have had no real playback issues since using MRV off and on for the last couple of months (depending on the CE release) other than the occasional video blip that many experience. 30 sec skip/slip is less than desired, but it seems to get better with each CE release. The video/audio playback quality is superb.

I do plan on replacing my switches at some point with gigabit switches, just haven't had the need....yet....

Some don't think the router makes a difference but in your case I would say it has to be making a difference. Do you have dd-wrt s/w installed on it? I'm definitely considering a Linksys with dd-wrt s/w or a Cisco business router. I'm also waiting for a better solution before I invest in it.

The replay and 30skip is good, just not as fast as the LOCAL DVR playback. I'm not sure if it can be any faster than it is. If you're seeing any distortions in audio/video on 30skip or replay, the gigabit switches may help there. I know that's one of the first things I noticed when plugging in the gigabit switch, despite the fact my old router is still at 100MBps.

Thanks for sharing your setup details.

I like to ask something if you have 2 individual runs connected to the router no matter what it will neg @ 100 full
Would it be better just to Direct connect both receivers via cat5 cable using rj45 female to rj45 female coupler or is it better to have a router or switch in between.

Just my experience with the gigabit switch tells me that it is actually quicker. I would have preferred the router with internal gigabit switching rather than the switch but that's only a gut feeling at this point.

I've spent some time window shopping setups on other sites and came to my own conclusion that the WRT series Linksys routers with dd-wrt s/w perform better for MRV but some have called me out for that so I say go with your own gut feeling.

Other conversations I've had suggest the gigabit switching works better because it provides individual port packet buffering so it's hard to argue that the gigabit switch makes no difference at all. They do make a difference but some have had success with good quality 100MBps switches.

Having tested both ways, direct wired box to box and using several different switches and routers, I say you're better off with a good switch between them. To me, direct was no different than my cheap 100MBps switch. The gigE switches were much better. The only 100MBps router I had that showed any improvement was in fact a Linksys but it was also a Vonage VOIP adapter RTP300 that went bad and neither of my replacement Vonage routers or my D-Link has come close to the MRV performance I had with that older Linksys device. The software, however, was a recent effort from Linksys but pushed by Vonage at my request.

Maybe the secret to success is getting rid of our fancy networking gear and break out the orange juice cans and string. :p

Seems MRV this week still has issues, but they're related to certain receiver models (principally the hr20-100s) and certain combinations of receivers.

armchair,

Now you have got me wanting to replace my switches with gigabit switches. arghhhhh......MRV has been working for me so far with last nights CE. I did have to reboot my HR20-700 last night. It's the 30 sec slip that still is a little "sticky" for lack of a better word. When I use it on a remote recording it sometimes sticks with one image and doesn't always show the video that is slipping by. It still works, just not the same as a local recording....

armchair,

Now you have got me wanting to replace my switches with gigabit switches. arghhhhh......MRV has been working for me so far with last nights CE. I did have to reboot my HR20-700 last night. It's the 30 sec slip that still is a little "sticky" for lack of a better word. When I use it on a remote recording it sometimes sticks with one image and doesn't always show the video that is slipping by. It still works, just not the same as a local recording....

Wow Bill, I have not tried 30slip for a long time. With MRV, there is an annoying stick of the first frame but the other frames are being shown on HD but SD is pretty fast and fluid without a sticky frame. The HD stickiness of first frame kind of reminds me of the slowness that occurs when trying to hold arrow-down on the Guide, System Setup menu or the new Smart Search keypad, the jump between the second and third line is always delayed before quickly jumping in succession to bottom of page. That may be a short-coming in RF remote mode as well; haven't tried it in IR mode to compare; however, that is the way I would describe MRV slip for HD streams on my setup.

Have you tried keyword search 30skip? With skip, no frames or sticky frames; even with MRV, just a quicker jump. With skip, MRV is a bit slower than Local HDD viewing but not annoying. That is what I was referring to when I said that I didn't think it could be gotten any quicker for MRV. I never liked the slip but it wasn't bad at all for SD, too slow for HD. I can see the benefit of maybe a single 30slip but I prefer the skips to get past commercials quicker. I usually stack about 6 30skips and move slower from there. Thanks for pointing out the short-coming of the slip. I had yet to understand what the complaint about trickplay was 'til now.

If you don't see any difference, maybe you don't need gigabit switches...yet! LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts