MS: PS3 'delay is not surprising' with an 'unproven technology'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19515

Thompson says decision to move launch date is "not surprising"

Xbox UK boss Neil Thompson has told GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is not surprised Sony has "backed away" from its commitment to a global launch for PlayStation 3.

"We know how challenging it is to pull off a global launch, so it's not surprising that Sony has backed away from their previously announced launch plan, due to the unproven technology they are trying to pack in to their console," he said.

Microsoft brought Xbox 360 to market in Europe, Japan and North America late last year, pulling off a simultaneous global launch - although hardware shortages did follow. With the PS3 delayed until March, MS now faces one less competitor this Christmas; but according to Thompson, that will make little difference to the success of Xbox 360.

"Europe remains a priority for us. That is why gamers have been able to experience Xbox 360 from day one, and why we're confident we're going to have a great Christmas - regardless of what competitors are or are not in the market," he stated.

Thompson went on to observe that Xbox 360 owners will have more than 160 software titles to choose from, with the likes of Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and FIFA 2007 due out in time for Christmas.

In addition, Thompson continued, Xbox 360 offers "a growing and innovating online gaming service, fantastic entertainment capabilities, optional HD-DVD capability and a great value price".

He concluded, "These factors will help us reach our goal of 10 million consoles sold worldwide by the end of the year."

All the usual pundits believe that the blue diode shortage will go away by the new year. If that is true and Sony ends up still delivering 6 million units by the end of March what will everyone say if they are all sold by the first of April -- April Fools?

JoeSp said:
All the usual pundits believe that the blue diode shortage will go away by the new year. If that is true and Sony ends up still delivering 6 million units by the end of March what will everyone say if they are all sold by the first of April -- April Fools?

If they want to sell 6 million by April then need to drop the price to make it competitive with the 360. With only about 500k units at launch, they may sell out. But then they have only 3 months to sell 5.5 million. I know alot of people who canceled their PS3 preorder and bought a 360 because of the price and things keep getting worse with them not including the proprietary component cables.

mikley28 said:
If they want to sell 6 million by April then need to drop the price to make it competitive with the 360. With only about 500k units at launch, they may sell out. But then they have only 3 months to sell 5.5 million. I know alot of people who canceled their PS3 preorder and bought a 360 because of the price and things keep getting worse with them not including the proprietary component cables.

What places are taking pre orders for PS3?

LMAO those things will be double or triple the price on EBAY. Id bet the majority of them go straight to EBAY. There truely is a sucker born every minute.

Gamestop will be taking pre-orders, but probably not to October or so until they get definite numbers from Sony on how many they will get. Also, dropping the price of the PS3 is not going to happen for launch. The Blu-Ray player they are implementing into there console is not cheap as you can see from the $1000 price tags on there BD players. Microsoft for the first time in the console war has the one up on everyone else and Sony better watch out because as of right now HD-DVD is better in PQ and it is a lot cheaper.

It will be like the 360 for the first 3-4 months I'm assuming. However, I think that once the hardcore early adopters get one, demand should drop like a rock as they hit that wall finding people willing to spend $600 for the thing which will be slower than a 360 (at least as far as load times are concerned).

BobMurdoch said:
It will be like the 360 for the first 3-4 months I'm assuming. However, I think that once the hardcore early adopters get one, demand should drop like a rock as they hit that wall finding people willing to spend $600 for the thing which will be slower than a 360 (at least as far as load times are concerned).

I definatetly can't see them selling 6 million units by the first of April.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)