MSG Network

Sky King49

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Yep..it says its part of the 180 channel package but I cannot get it. Anyone here from the Ct. area? TNKS

If you live in Fairfield County you will get MSG. That is because Fairfield County has the DMA of New York.

I live in Fairfield County and get MSG.

The downside is I live in Fairfield County CONNECTICUT and cannout even suscribe to CT local chanels via Dish. I must live with NY locals.

rtt2 - tell me about it. I've written my legislator about it - It's been lobbied to death by the cable companies. We'll see CT locals about the same time we see HD network feeds :)

According to http://directv.fxep.com, any DirecTV sub in CT qualifies to see the Mets on MSG / FSNY, and the Yankees on YES. In comparison, those outside Fairfield County (and a tiny bit of New Haven County) don't get the Mets with Dish, and of course *nobody* with Dish gets YES.

I didn't really used to believe this, but it seems more clear all the time that if you are a sports fan, you have to get DirecTV. This is becoming even more true with the launch of the NFL Network, Comcast-Chicago, and possible new channels from the NHL and MLB. Yeah, maybe Dish will pick some of these up, you can be almost certain that DirecTV will pick all of then up.

(written as I ponder how to get out of the last 6 mo. of my yearly AT150 commitment)

AppliedAggression said:
i think fairfield county should be able to receive both sets of locals. I know one of my friends up in boston gets multiple NBC via cable.

you missed my "lobbied to death comment :)

Cable companies are not subject to the "single DMA" rule that the DBS co's are. On cablevision (local provider), I receive all of the locals from NYC and Hartford/New Haven, even though my area is in the NY DMA. The fact that Hartford/New Haven's locals are also on 110/119 and it would only be a flick of a switch hurts. I obviously need UConn games, so I either keep basic cable with my cable modem, or I get ESPN Full Court on Dish. I *shouldn't* have to choose.

jrbdmb said:
According to http://directv.fxep.com, any DirecTV sub in CT qualifies to see the Mets on MSG / FSNY, and the Yankees on YES. In comparison, those outside Fairfield County (and a tiny bit of New Haven County) don't get the Mets with Dish, and of course *nobody* with Dish gets YES.

I have a really hard time believing this. Mostly because Baseball has BY FAR the most stringent blackout rules. From my understanding, Fairfield County is in the 2 NY team's "territory," and Boston games from ANY non-national source are blacked out if conflicting with a simultaneous home game. (confused yet?) Want to REALLY screw it up? My local cable co doesn't have the ability to black out a single system on its own. So, they stretch from Philly to Litchfield Cnty, CT. That's right... Phillies, NY, and Boston territories. INHD gets blacked out all of the time because the Phillies/Sox are playing, and I *should* be able to see it, but they muff the blackout. MADNESS! :eek:

MSG makes me hungry an hour after I eat....

Aside from that, as a Red Sox fan in Delaware, I'm SOL.. except for Orioles games and ESPN.

hancox said:
I have a really hard time believing this. Mostly because Baseball has BY FAR the most stringent blackout rules. From my understanding, Fairfield County is in the 2 NY team's "territory," and Boston games from ANY non-national source are blacked out if conflicting with a simultaneous home game.
The Yankees and Mets claim all of CT as part of their home area. This mean that DBS subs in CT *are capable of* watching the Yankees and Mets on MSG/FSNY/YES. It also means that games on ESPN/ESPN2 (except the Sunday night games) will be blacked out. Unfortunately, Dish has no contract to carry YES, and Dish contracts with MSG/FSNY to show Mets games only in Fairfield County (I would guess for a lower price). DirecTV has contracts to show Yankees and Mets in all of CT.

As for the Red Sox, they claim all of CT *except* Fairfield County as their
home area. DBS subs in Fairfield County cannot watch the Sox on NESN, they must buy EI since they are out-of-market. In this case I believe Dish and DirecTV have the same coverage.